PDA

View Full Version : Sizing a pistol bullet base for use in a c&b revolver

Old colt
12-02-2015, 12:09 PM
First off I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading it when looking for some insight.

My question is has anyone made a die or press to take a .452 pistol bullet base down to .450 or smaller so it will start straight in a c&b revolver? I know there are molds for it but I own multiple .452 molds that came from a box at a sale.

Bent Ramrod
12-02-2015, 07:46 PM
I didn't make such a die, but bought a new old stock Lyman .446" die to reduce the bottom band of the Ideal 450229 that I was using in my 1860 Army at the time. This boolit was supposed to have a reduced portion on the bottom band as-cast, but if it did, it wasn't reduced enough to start it straight in the cylinder.

Pushing it slightly into the die reduced the bottom band perfectly, and the accuracy from the straight line loading was a big improvement. Of course, this was a hollow base boolit of pure lead so it was easy to reduce the bottom band. A hard cast solid base pistol boolit might take a little more effort, but if you have a heavy duty lubrisizer like the RCBS, it should be doable.

Welcome to the Forum. Inquiries like yours are what this place is all about; you'll fit right in here.:drinks:

.22-10-45
12-02-2015, 08:00 PM
I did the exact same thing as Bent Ramrod...only I was able to use a .450" dia. Lyman sizer die for the Lyman 450229. This was for a 1980's era Colt 1860 Army .44 percussion revolver. I had tried round ball but gun was shooting patterns high & way left..no matter the loads..gave up on it for a few years until I purchased the 450229..but then found I couldn't load with loading lever. After reducing last band..I seated bullets with small altered arbor press with positive depth adjustment. Using 18grs. 3FG Goex gun was still shooting a bit high but with perfect centered windage. 1 ragged hole groups at 25yds.

Yodogsandman
12-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Contact Buckshot here on this site, he makes custom sizer dies. Does great work, too!

Old colt
12-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just a little strapped for cash and since this is the only gun I shoot cast in I was looking for a less expensive option, but like Grandpa always said "funs not cheap".