PDA

View Full Version : Spray dry graphite film lubricant

Junior1942
10-14-2005, 02:57 PM
A couple of months ago someone on this forum recommended NAPA "dgf 123 Dry Graphite Film Lubricant" for mold lubricant. It's NAPA # 765-1413. Cost about $7 at my local NAPA store. It works well!

I cast with three molds this morning and sprayed dgf 123 on the sprue plates and wiped it on the tops of the mold blocks. About half way through the casting session with each mold, sprue started sticking to the sprue plate. One fast spray and end of sticking. It's good stuff, guys.

Maven
10-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Junior, I think I started that thread after reading about NAPA dgf 123 in "The Fouling Shot." Since then I've been a bit (just a bit, not wholly) less impressed with the stuff. To wit, it's a great rust preventative and works perfectly on my ingot molds and some bullet molds. Indeed, I removed it from my Ly. #311644 and Lee .44cal TL molds the other day with no ill effects in either. Ditto the 6 cavs. in the Lee 6.5 Kurtz mold, but not the sprue plate.. It also works like a charm in my LBT (aluminum) mold cavities as well as my #311284 (iron). I still think it's good stuff, but am more selective about using it now. If it doesn't work in a particular mold, it's easy enough to remove (soft toothbrush & denatured or rubbing alcohol). Btw, if you use a dipper try it on that to help keep the oxides at bay. Do the same for the inside of your [clean, cool] melting pot/furnace.

Junior1942
10-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Maven, I didn't let any of the spray get inside the cavities.

Buckshot
10-16-2005, 06:59 AM
............A similar stuff sold for machine gibs and slides is a superb lube for paper patched boolits.

...............Buckshot