PDA

View Full Version : chamber reamers

augercreek
12-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Where's the best place to rent reamers?

M-Tecs
12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
I have only rented one. The PO claimed they delivered it but it didn't come for three more days so I got stuck for the late fee so now for the one time use reamers I purchase new and sell on ebay.

B R Shooter
12-02-2015, 11:26 AM
I have rented a few from reamerrentals.com in the past. I had no problems with them cutting, sent them back in time and was done. Never have rented from 4-D so can't comment.

TJF1
12-02-2015, 11:32 AM
I have had real good service from 4D reamer rental

Terry

plainsman456
12-02-2015, 01:08 PM
I use 4-D reamer rentals.
Not had a problem with them other than 1 that was a little dull.
Let them know it needed sharpening and they said thanks.

HollowPoint
12-02-2015, 04:41 PM
I have an upcoming re-barreling/re-chambering project I'm working and I too have wondered about renting a reamer as apposed to buying. My problem is that my work schedule is such that I don't know when I'll have the free time to do the reaming operation so it's hard to know exactly when to put in my order for the rental-reamer.

I the past, when I re-barreled my Enfield I ended up just buying the reamer for the very same reason. I still have that reamer. I haven't sold it because it's been altered and I've dreamt of doing another project using the same reamer.

Here's a thought: I think there's enough guys on this cast-boolits site that do this kind of stuff that maybe we should
consider renting or loaning out our reamers to one-another. I know that to some here this may sound ludicrous so go ahead and laugh but, to those who aren't in this camp it's something to consider.

HollowPoint

Wolfer
12-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Hollow point, like the reamer co-op over at Mauser central. It may actually be on another site but linked thru Mauser Central. I've thought about joining it.

Ive rented several reamers from 4-D and have always been pleased with the reamers and the service.

HollowPoint
12-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Hollow point, like the reamer co-op over at Mauser central. It may actually be on another site but linked thru Mauser Central. I've thought about joining it.

Ive rented several reamers from 4-D and have always been pleased with the reamers and the service.

I'm sure 4-D and other reamer rental places are reliable. My problem is just a timing issue. I'll most likely just buy the reamer I need and then figure out what to do with it afterwards.

I actually found one in the caliber I wanted on Ebay but, since I was unsure of what kind of use it had received prior to the guy trying to sell it, I was reluctant to take a chance on buying it. (pretty decent price too)

HollowPoint

Chill Wills
12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I have only rented one. The PO claimed they delivered it but it didn't come for three more days so I got stuck for the late fee so now for the one time use reamers I purchase new and sell on ebay.

That is where I am now - have them ground to my print and if one use only - sell them.
Rifle projects are too costly in time and material to have a second best chamber that might have to be recut. Or is it - Life is just too short.

I guess I would rent one to fix a hand gun chamber or cylinder maybe.

oldred
12-02-2015, 09:59 PM

That's what I do from now on, popular reamers often go for as much or even more than the cost of a new one (figure that one out!) and buying new you will have a good sharp reamer that will cut a nice slick chamber with no scratches from nicks, etc. Even after Ebay fees the last new reamer cost me a grand total of $3.80 and that was for a brand new PTG reamer!

augercreek
12-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Could any of you supply the web site address's

weaselfire
12-07-2015, 11:31 AM
4D Reamers: http://www.4-dproducts.com/

Jeff