PDA

View Full Version : Suitable cast boolit for a 7mm-08

Smitty of the North
12-02-2015, 12:57 AM
Gentlemen:

I have a source for a 7mm Cast bullet that works fine in my 7x57s, 280 Rem., and 7 Mags. I shoot a lot of them and regularly. I get them from a local Bullet Caster, who makes and sells some very fine bullets.

However, that boolit doesn't work in my 7mm-08 rifle. (A CVA APEX SINGLE SHOT) BECAUSE,,,, The throat is too short, or the nose/ogive is too long. Wayyyy, too long.

My Lyman Manual shows a couple, three, cast bullet designs and OALs for them, but I don't want to cast my own bullets, so haven't attempted to find those mold numbers.

I have a Lee 2 cavity 7mm mould that I've never used, and dunno if that bullet would work either.

Does anyone know of another source for 7mm Caliber cast bullets? Bear Tooth Bullets has one design, but that doesn't work in my gun either. The suppliers I'm familiar with don't seem interested in offering 7mm Cal. bullets.

Thanks for any help or information.
Smitty of the North

rbuck351
12-02-2015, 01:59 AM
Hey Smitty, Buck here.
Bring that mold by and we can cast up some and see if it works. The Lee rifle molds are usually a nose rider and can normally be loaded with the front band at the case mouth or even out a bit. Get some gas checks if it's a GC mold as i have nothing for 7mm.

Aunegl
12-02-2015, 02:15 AM
When I used to shoot handgun silhouettes. There were a couple of guys with XP100s in 7-08. They liked shooting the RCBS 7-145 grain SILH with pretty good results.

Smitty of the North
12-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Hey Smitty, Buck here.
Bring that mold by and we can cast up some and see if it works. The Lee rifle molds are usually a nose rider and can normally be loaded with the front band at the case mouth or even out a bit. Get some gas checks if it's a GC mold as i have nothing for 7mm.

I'll PM you.

SOTN

Smitty of the North
12-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Wal, Glory Be:

Tonight, I found a cupla bullet casters, that sell 7mm cal. rifle bullets.

I ordered from both. One design was a Silly Wet and tother was the Lyman 287346 for which I found data in the Lyman manual.

rbuck, If I can block some time outta my retirement, I'll call you about the bullet making venture.

Thanks all, for your indulgence.
SOTN

C. Latch
12-03-2015, 12:56 AM
If you're shooting them in a single shot could you possibly just seat them deeper than normal and not crimp them?

Smitty of the North
12-03-2015, 05:34 AM
If you're shooting them in a single shot could you possibly just seat them deeper than normal and not crimp them?

Yes, I COULD do that, but they would be so much deeper than normal that I wouldn't like it.

I would like to have at least part of the gas check in the neck.

I shot up a bunch of 338 bullets one time ago and hadda load them so deep that the gas check was a good deal below the neck, and didn't have a problem.

I found a more suitable bullet later. I no longer own that 338, and can't remember the particulars.

I won't be crimping these loads. I only crimp LA loads or for heavy recoil cartridges.

Thanks for the suggestions
Smitty of the North

oldblinddog
12-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Wal, Glory Be:

Tonight, I found a cupla bullet casters, that sell 7mm cal. rifle bullets.

I ordered from both. One design was a Silly Wet and tother was the Lyman 287346 for which I found data in the Lyman manual.

rbuck, If I can block some time outta my retirement, I'll call you about the bullet making venture.

Thanks all, for your indulgence.
SOTN

Either one of those will work in a 7-08. I've used both of them in that cartridge.

Smitty of the North
12-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Either one of those will work in a 7-08. I've used both of them in that cartridge.

That's good to hear. Thanks.
SOTN

michiganmike
12-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I cast and shoot the Lyman 7mm round nose gas check bullet, item # 2660405. It is made to cast a nominal 150 grain bullet. Depending on the batch of wheel weights, it throws between 145 and 147.

It is a Loverin style bullet. And it is dependably, reliably, boringingly accurate in my Ruger 7mm-08. And that is across a range of powders up to Hodgon 4350.

I am delighted with it and it is my go to bullet for the Ruger. I recommend it highly.

MichiganMike

oldblinddog
12-07-2015, 11:27 PM
You mean this one:
It's the 287405. I've used that one too. If I still had a 7-08 it would be my choice for a boolit.

michiganmike
12-08-2015, 10:23 PM
You mean this one:
It's the 287405. I've used that one too. If I still had a 7-08 it would be my choice for a boolit.

That's the one OBD, the # I gave is from the orange plastic box that came from Lyman. Must be a stock number. It is amazing. Mr. Loverin was onto something.

oldblinddog
12-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Mr. Loverin was onto something.

Yup! :bigsmyl2:

Smitty of the North
12-10-2015, 10:43 AM
You mean this one:

How Vewey stwange. I never used a boolit like that one.

Actually, I've seen that design pictured in the Lyman Manuel.

It doesn't look like a bore rider. I wonder if it's spose to go into the rifling, or stay off, like a jacketed boolit.

Smitty of the North

michiganmike
12-10-2015, 10:24 PM
I load mine so they are just touching the rifling. Works great for me.

How Vewey stwange. I never used a boolit like that one.

Actually, I've seen that design pictured in the Lyman Manuel.

It doesn't look like a bore rider. I wonder if it's spose to go into the rifling, or stay off, like a jacketed boolit.

Smitty of the North

GabbyM
12-10-2015, 10:35 PM
I have that Lyman 287405. If anyone would like it I could let it go. It needs Linotype or something with 4% tin to cast to grove diameter. Since Lyman made it for Linotype. Long skinny bullet needs to be hard to shoot anyway. I bought it to size down to .280 and run in a 270 Winchester. But the RCBS 270-150 shoots better in my 270. These bullets are good in the old Spanish Mausers chambered for the IIRC 170 grain round nose. Big long throats to fill. However most old Mausers need a larger bullet than this mold will cast.

GabbyM
12-11-2015, 01:19 AM
PS.
Most shooters of old 7x57's have good luck paper patching these Loverines. I've never done it myself. Never paper patched a single boolit in my life except for muzzle loading type stuff.

Best bullet for about any modern 7mm is the Lyman 287641. Due to it's very high B.C. of .382. Compared to say the RCBS 1405-SIL at a B.C. of .272. NOE has some 7mm molds listed but I'm not familiar with them. For powder with a 160 grain bullet. Lyman manual list AA-5744 as a good one. I use this powder in a few calibers and like it very much. It may look expensive per pound but the charge weights are generally low compared to other alternatives like 4198 or Rx7. 5744 is short enough stick and a joy to meter. Generally 4198 or Rx7 does not start to burn clean until the maximum accuracy velocity of a 160 gr bullet is reached in this sized case. More important they tend to be critical half grain or so on charge weight. I've not done the math or loaded it into my Reloaders Reference program. but 4198 or Rx7 takes about 3 more grains of powder to do the same thing. Plus it absolutely will not work as well in these small bores. Target velocity for best accuracy on a 9 1/2" twist 7mm barrel will be just over 1,800 fps. Which is higher than you will reach with shotgun powder.

For simple fun plinking out to 200 yards and for sure dead on 100 yard shooting. What I like in my 270 Win is a 122 grain Loverine pushed with Unique shotgun powder. 14.0 grains of Unique pushes that little slug at a booked velocity of 1875fps and accuracy is better than any load I've worked up with a 150 grain bullet. 7mm-08 not being so grossly over bore as the 270 Win. Is more a candidate for heavier bullets with rifle powder. However if you just want to target shoot at short range out to 100 yards. Plus little critters. A light for caliber boolit over shotgun powder will yield great accuracy and hit plenty hard. I shoot my 243 and 270 over shotgun powder at between 1800 and 1900 fps. Great fun shooting dart board targets VS friends and family. My 222 Rem, 30-30 and 30-06 I let rip with rifle powder. My 270 Win would kill deer just fine with a cast boolit load . Thing is I have a few hundred rounds of J loads up on the shelf getting old. Or the 30 caliber cast guns.

IMHO best 7mm-08 load would be a light for caliber bullet over shotgun powder for sub MOA accuracy for games and paper . For big game use a Sierra Pro Hunter soft point. The cast loads over short charges of powder will have very little bore wear and work fine to 100 yards. That's how I use my 270 Win. I have a expensive scope on my 270. With full power loads you can't have any fun shooting dart boards. Plus it would wear the barrel out. Those 122 grain cast bullets over Unique are sweet accurate shooters. I do not need 2,700 ft lbs of energy to punch a paper target.