PDA

View Full Version : Current price for tin? Salavage

minmax
12-01-2015, 06:19 PM
What is good price for 99% tin? I know Rotometal has it at $17 lb.

Mitch
12-01-2015, 08:09 PM
The least I can can get it for.I think Roto just had a sale for $15#

scottfire1957
12-02-2015, 12:55 PM
http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/tin/6-month/

iraiam
12-04-2015, 10:07 PM
I buy grade A tin locally for $15/lb (plus tax) with no shipping. I would look for a local non-ferrous metal house and check their prices. A friend of mine in another state buys it locally as well at a better price than we can get on-line.

GabbyM
12-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Sometimes you can buy lead free solder cheaper than tin prices. It's all tin but a touch of Sb and something like .03% Cu. Good stuff and easy to cut off and weigh just what you need.

Jtarm
12-08-2015, 10:09 AM
The Rotometals sale was still on as of yesterday and that's as good as I can find.

Order enough to make the shipping worth it.

RogerDat
12-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Have seen scrap yard charging $6 a lb. for known pure tin. Same yard will let solder or pewter go for near the lead price which is generally just a bit over $1 a lb. Pewter is generally at least 90% tin so yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores are sources. The prices there are all over the place, it is generally considered a good deal if it works out to $3 per pound. Beware the weighted candle stick. Yak excrement and glue in the base is heavy but not tin.

Thing is the scrap yards seldom have any solder or pewter. Over a few years I have gotten lucky a few times and accumulated a little stash of tin. On the other hand Banger Jim lives in a more high tech manufacturing area and the scrap yards there are more likely to have tin solder. Here we see a lot of sheet lead from roofing and lead pipe, along with a fair amount of sheet lead used to line an x-ray room. We have a lot of medical facilities and old homes & factories I guess.