PDA

View Full Version : Lee 38 crimp die q

soldierbilly1
12-01-2015, 05:12 PM
how do you insert the crimp sleeve on the Lee FCD?
is the inside ring up or down?
I asked Lee precision and I think I got the wrong answer!
thanks
bill boy

bedbugbilly
12-01-2015, 06:41 PM
If I remember correctly - take a look at the ring and on the inside, one side should have a very slight taper/chamfer - that would go down so it will start the roll crimp when the casing goes up into it. I took mine apart a couple of months ago to clean it and I believe that is how the ring looked? I use the 4 die set - I seat in one operation and crimp with the FCD. That mild taper should start to roll any belling left over from running up through the carbide ring. Hopefully that helps - if I'm wrong . .. . well, I'm wrong! :-)

soldierbilly1
12-01-2015, 08:04 PM
If I remember correctly - take a look at the ring and on the inside, one side should have a very slight taper/chamfer - that would go down so it will start the roll crimp when the casing goes up into it. I took mine apart a couple of months ago to clean it and I believe that is how the ring looked? I use the 4 die set - I seat in one operation and crimp with the FCD. That mild taper should start to roll any belling left over from running up through the carbide ring. Hopefully that helps - if I'm wrong . .. . well, I'm wrong! :-)
BBBilly:
this is exactly my thinking.
The Lee customer service told me the opposite!
Hard to get good help these days!
thanks
Billy boy

soldierbilly1
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I just saw the diagram on the Lee website... looks like we got it right. double beveled end goes down.
I am assuming the diagram is for a roll crimp, not a taper.
bill boy