PDA

View Full Version : Where are the does?

Friends call me Pac
12-01-2015, 12:09 PM
I have one buck tag left so I'm saving it for a decent one. I've been looking for does and have seen nothing but bucks. They have to have 3 or more on one side of their rack to be legal and most were spikes or forkhorns. I saw two does yesterday just before dark but I couldn't see my front sight. Rather than taking a bad shot I watched them feed away from me. I went back this morning and didn't see the does. I did have a big spike walk within 20 yards of me.

About 9 am I had a coyote came in but he was at about 150 yards. I know I can hit dead on with my Winchester M94 44 mag at 100 yards so I held just a little over his back. Pow! Shot right over that sucker. He looked like a streak as he was getting out of there but I sent another round his way. I missed again.

I do have a concern about my little 44 mag carbine. It is a great 100 yard and under gun for sure but I'm worried that by taking those two long shots I might have strained the barrel. Think it will be ok?

Les Staley
12-02-2015, 01:51 AM
Better check it. Could have stretched it down to a 35 caliber with a 150 yd shot.. I've seen 'em stretched clear down to 30 cal, but that would take a much longer shot, say around 300 plus yds.

richhodg66
12-02-2015, 06:59 AM
I've noticed that this year, lots of young bucks, fewer does than usual. I've already filled my buck tag with a small one, so I need a doe or two.

Win94ae
12-02-2015, 07:25 AM
I took this doe with a 20 inch barreled Marlin 1894S 44mag at 200 yards yesterday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/justgoto/hunting/Steve2015Deer_zpsi9dkhnmj.jpg

Single shot through the spine.

I use the BSA scope with mil-dots. I shot it 20 minutes after sunset, and could see the mil-dots and deer wonderfully.
I also like the mil-dots because I've verified my hold at up to 250 yards.

I've seen one buck and 8 does in Ohio.

Also; I'm using the Lee 240gr SWC with a gas check at 1750fps.

Hickok
12-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Pac, just let the Winchester catch it's breath and it will be alright! Remember, Elmer Keith used to stretch the barrels on his S&W .44 mags regularly, and they always "snapped back"

I love my Model 94 in .44 mag.

Friends call me Pac
12-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Love it! You guys have me laughing.

Blammer
12-03-2015, 01:44 PM
It'll only stretch the last few inches of the barrel, you can always cut it back to original length when it gets too long.

BwBrown
12-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Left untreated, barrel strain can be a real problem. Best treatment is to put it up in a sling for a couple weeks. A thorough swabbing with Hoppes Tonic will relieve congestion.
Our prayers will be with you.

"It'll only stretch the last few inches of the barrel, you can always cut it back to original length when it gets too long."

Blammer's recommendation of circumcision, while sometimes desirable, can result in serious discomfort.

Hickok
12-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Left untreated, barrel strain can be a real problem. Best treatment is to put it up in a sling for a couple weeks. A thorough swabbing with Hoppes Tonic will relieve congestion.
Our prayers will be with you.

"It'll only stretch the last few inches of the barrel, you can always cut it back to original length when it gets too long."

Blammer's recommendation of circumcision, while sometimes desirable, can result in serious discomfort.Hoppe's is the "Ben Gay Salve" for firearms!