PDA

View Full Version : Removing Saddle Ring Bar From 1863 Sharps Carbine

milrifle
12-01-2015, 08:27 AM
I recently bought an original 1863 Sharps Carbine. On closer inspection, I found that what appeared to be a scratch or crack on the saddle ring bar was actually a complete break. The thought of super gluing it back together crossed my mind, but I ordered an original replacement, hoping the patina would match. It did not, but that's another story. At any rate, how do you get to the screw that holds the forward end of the bar into the receiver? It appears that it may be behind the hammer, but I'm not sure and didn't want to just go hog wild taking the thing apart to do exploratory surgery. Any help will be appreciated.

Hickok
12-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Great find!

I have a repro Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Berdan paper cutter, and if the screws and such on the original are not rusted fast, it is not difficult to take the Sharps apart.

milrifle
12-02-2015, 08:49 AM
From looking on-line at some exploded views, it appears that the lock is held on by the rearmost saddle ring bar screw and the screw that is adjacent to the forward end of the saddle ring bar. Is that correct? I'm thinking that if I can remove the lock, I can access that forward saddle ring bar screw. Am I on the right track?

doc1876
12-04-2015, 03:30 PM
set the hammer on half set, Remove the two screws on the left hand side that hold the lock on the gun. remove the lock , and you will see a screw take it out, and remove the one on the left side that will make it available to you.

milrifle
12-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks Doc1876. That is what I suspected, but wasn't sure.