PDA

View Full Version : Springfield m1880 experimental rifle

ndnchf
11-30-2015, 08:49 PM
I was at a friend's house yesterday for a holiday party. He brings out a trapdoor rifle to show me that he just acquired. It had some odd features that I didn't immediately recognize. It has a triangular rod bayonet, M1879 rear sight, SWP 1881 cartouche, trapdoor in butt plate and a M1863 thick lock plate. It was pretty grubby looking so I offered to take it home and give it a good cleaning and inspection. After I got home I did some research and found it to be a M1880 experimental ramrod bayonet model, but with a M1863 lock installed. Springfield made just over 1000 of these for trials, but didn't put it into production. Wow - what a surprise. The bore is rough and the metal has a heavy patina. Oddly I see no markings on the breech block. I suppose it had some parts added by bannerman or the like. But I'll give it a gentle cleaning and see if anything is uncovered.

Here's the kicker. My friend is a Civil War history buff and reenactor, as am I. His barber found it at a yard sale for $2.00, yes TWO dollars! Because of the 1863 dated lock plate he thought it was a Civil War musket, so he bought it and gave it to my friend as a gift. Holy Moses - I need to change barbers!

StrawHat
12-01-2015, 08:56 AM
A little more information on the 1880.

http://trapdoorcollector.com/m80.html

Kevin

ndnchf
12-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Thank Kevin, been there already. One of my favorite sites! I also got Al Frasca's opinion on it.