PDA

View Full Version : Lead Alternate

Fatman
04-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Well here in Vermont they passed some lead laws that split shot and sinkers under 1/2 ounce have to be lead free.

I've been through all the threads reading to see if I can find an alternative and finally decided to ask.

I've heard that you can use a combination of bismuth and tin for molding but what would the best percentage be for each to even come close to the weight of lead.

Or, is there something else that will work and still weigh almost the same.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Fatman

square butte
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Fatman, How did I miss that and when did it happen? I remember something about lead house paint a couple of months ago.

runfiverun
04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
5% tin will help keep it from shattering.
what they use in the shot shells.

Wicky
04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe a use for those zinc WWs?? Not as heavy as lead but they may be OK. Just a thought!

mainiac
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
aint you guys in for a grang time! We have been using lead free sinkers up here now for quite some time. The split shot totally sucks! Cant keep it on your line, mash it with pliers and it still falls off, use your teeth, and you almost bust them trying to close this stuff! Dont know what these are made of as far as alloy? The old lead we used to use was way ahead of this crap! They said lead was killing the loons. Well, the loons are killing are fish,so where is the justice?

AZ-Stew
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I think Bismuth and Tin are both less dense than lead, so there's no way to alloy them and come up with a sinker of the same diameter and weight as a lead sinker.

You could use Gold. Lead is only .6 as dense as Gold, so you could alloy Gold with almost anything to get the same diameter and weight as lead.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Stew

PS How do they tell whether you're using a lead sinker? If it works it must be lead, and if it doesn't it's OK for use? Just curious. Someone should ask these questions before the regulations are put in place. But that's just my opinion.

jhrosier
04-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I would consider making the sinkers from lead-free solder.
It is widely available and while it will probably cost more than lead, you will be using a smaller amount.
Since it will be a little lighter than lead, you will need to go a size or two larger to have the same weight.
It should have a melting point that is compatable with lead casting equipment.

Jack

Wicky
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Stew, the way lead seems to be going up in price gold may become the cheaper alternative. Of course we would then have the problem of the loons drowning, as gold is heavier than lead when the bird swallows it it will sink to the bottom!!

Fatman
04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
square butte

Where you at in Southern VT?? I'm in Northfield. It took place 1 Jan 2007!! Split shot and sinkers under 1/2 oz non-lead. I agree about the justice of the loon's eating the fish and we can't use lead. for the suggestion of the lead free solder where's a good place to get it without breaking the bank. I understand the weights will be lighter.

Fatman

GrizzLeeBear
04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
...split shot and sinkers under 1/2 ounce have to be lead free.

Just use 1/2 oz sinkers. :mrgreen: :kidding:

square butte
04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Fatman, I'm in Chester. Was this regulation accomplished with legislation, and if so, what else was included in the bill? Perhaps it's just something new from fish and game. Tom

leftiye
04-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Another adminitrative law to enhance our Freedom? Why is it that the administrative branch of government can make laws?

VTDW
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
The last sinkers I bought at WallyWorld were not lead at all. The package did not say what they were made of. They sure floated on top of my melt and you should have seen me scurry to scoop them out of there.:-D

Dave

dakotashooter2
04-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I have used lead free solder to make small jigs. It seems to work pretty well you just have to upsize to grt the same weight. Made them for use at the national parks.

Fatman
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
butte,

The legislaure passed it:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/status/summary.cfm?Bill=H%2E0516&Session=2004

Heres a link to the VT fish and Wildlife page.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/factsheets/fishing/Get_the_lead_out/Get_the_Lead_Out_Brochure.pdf

Fatman