PDA

View Full Version : Linotype ingots?

Kraschenbirn
11-30-2015, 02:41 PM
A friend brought over a couple of large ingots last weekend. He said they turned up during a remodel/expansion of the central stores & supplies warehouse where he works...just stacked behind some pallets of plumbing hardware with no inventory card or tag. (He works for a state agency, so if something doesn't have a stock #/papertrail, it just doesn't exist.) He thought they were probably plumber's lead and snagged them before they went into a scrap bin.

Ingots are u-shaped in cross-section (2" wide by 1 3/4" deep) and 26" long and weigh almost exactly 25 lbs each. I tested them this morning and they're definitely not plumber's lead. BHN is right at 20 and no bubbles/fizzies from application of muriatic acid. In the back of my mind, I recall a thread sometime ago where a member had come up with some similar ingots and another member identified them as recycled slugs for (re)use in a linotype machine. Ran a couple of searches but couldn't find the thread I was looking for. Anyone else recall this thread? Or, anyone run across any similar ingots?

Bill

Note: Would've posted a pic but, for some reason, I'm having problems uploading attachments to this forum.

454PB
11-30-2015, 03:00 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=74422&d=1372042863

Here's a picture of some of my linotype ingots. What you describe sounds like it is linotype, many of the ingots weigh 10 KG, which is 22 pounds. Try smacking one of them with a hammer while one end is raised off the floor a bit. Lino ingots break like ceramics and leave a very grainy, shiny surface.

Kraschenbirn
11-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Actually what I've got looks pretty much like the third ingot from the top...right down to the broken off stubs of what appear to be, maybe, hanger tabs.

Bill

iraiam
11-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Yes, the broken part of your ingots are hangar tabs, Linotype lead definitely came in this form, possibly other types as well, The 25 lb. ingots were commonly referred to as 'pigs'. I used to be able to buy virgin Linotype pigs here in town just like the ones pictured below, but no longer as there is virtually no demand for them anymore.

FISH4BUGS
12-01-2015, 05:23 PM
I have 6 of them. They are indeed linotype pigs. Mine weigh about 25 lbs each. The loop at the top was for hanging and sliding over a metal bar before they went into the melt.

Kraschenbirn
12-02-2015, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the assistance. Guess I owe my buddy a beer or three next time I see him.

Bill