PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tweaked a lee 356-95 rf to make it powder coat only?

paul h
11-30-2015, 01:45 PM
I picked up one of the 356-95 rf molds and really like the little boolit, but was thinking it won't have to be pushed too hard in the 9mm before the minimal driving bands will start skidding. I was thinking it will be a pretty simple job to just ream it out to make it smooth sided and dramatically increase the bearing surface for the lands.

Can't think of any downsides, just curious of someone has beat me to the trying it.

tazman
11-30-2015, 02:38 PM
I haven't tried powder coating or reaming the mold. I use it in my 9mm tumble lubed and get good accuracy with it running it at around 1200fps. How fast do you want to run it?

paul h
11-30-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm not looking to push it terribly fast, I'm more interested in top accuracy and minimal leading. I've tried tumble lubing off and on and seem to get mixed results in terms of accuracy and leading.

So far I've only tried the 356-95 through a 38 and accuracy was poor, but it's undersized for that use and powder coating might help but I'm thinking additional bearing surface wouldn't hurt either.

country gent
11-30-2015, 04:13 PM
It might be done keep in mind reamers may not cut out to marked size till back on the body some. there is a taper to them besides the 45* lead to start. You might also want to go with a .357 reamer so that the whole body of the bullet cleans up. A .356 reamer might not clean up the .356 body completely if not dead straight and centered. It could be done though. A simple drill press instead of handle would make it go easier. blocks in drill press vise and center to spindle a simple point in the chuck can get you very close. Mount reamer in chuck and set spindle stop. Loosen drive belt for this. Turn spindle by hand with a snug fitting rod a chuck hole feeding by hand. Use alot of oil on a lee mould ( aluminum) beeswax or parrafin works well also. The biggest thing to this project is getting everything straight centered and true

paul h
11-30-2015, 04:20 PM
I'd be using a .358" reamer I already have. As cast should be slightly under finish dimension so if it cuts .358" the mold "should" drop .357". I don't mind the mold dropping a bit large as I'll be sizing after powder coating and if the bullet gets a tad bigger it should work equally well in 9 mm and 38 sp, sized as needed.

rsrocket1
12-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Anything over 0.356" should be good for you. My Lee 356 molds drop at 0.358" and powder coating brings them up to 0.360". I've sized them to 0.358" and 0.356" just fine.