PDA

View Full Version : Are there any molds for the DW 375 super mag?

69daytona
11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Picking up a couple Dan Wesson's next week, a 357Maximum and a 375 Super Mag.

has anyone here had a mold made for the 375?

if so what is the weight, design and what kind of accuracy have you got from it?

P Flados
12-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Congrats on finding the DW SMs :bigsmyl2:

I am the original owner of an early SS 357 SuperMag (740-V8S) that was ordered out of the IHMSA/Gates publication "The Silhouette" back in 1985. My very best IHMSA results were with this gun and it would probably take an offer over 2x the going price to even get even a few moments of consideration before I would decline.

FYI, my maximum has always been most accurate with maximum brass and with maximum loads.

I have seen more than a few other references to DW SMs shooting best when pushed hard. Remember that the SuperMags were built with a focus on reliable 200 meter Ram knockdown with the original "hard set" on the feet. The good news is that the guns do not mind lots and lots and lots of heavy service (as shown by IHMSA use).

The only exception is that the 357 max does flame cut the topstrap some and it is worse with hot win 296 / H110 loads under a light bullet. Mine has some cutting, but after looking high an low I never have found anyone claim that it ever progresses to the point of any real worry.

For accuracy, my all time best groups were with the Speer 200 J words.

I eventually worked up some decent Lee 358-150-1R loads and then got success fast with the new Lee C358-200-RF.

I think the best boolit results so far have been the 200 cast from water dropped COWW, ASBB PC coated, left checkless and loaded with a stout dose of either win 296 or IMR 4227.

Note that until PC came along I could not get leading free performance from this gun for anything above 38 +p power level. This was with several boolits, a wide range of BHNs, a number of lubes, and several different diameters. I recently tried BLL only and failed again.

Another tidbit is that I recently scored 200 rds of max brass from C****er than d**t of all places. It is Jamison, it was not cheap ($41/100), but it is still in stock. Using the vendor cat ID # "UJ357RMAX" I found some other places that also have it, but they were even higher.

For the 375, I would not worry too much about boolit pattern. I would be more concerned with weight and would lean to the heavy side. I tend to get good service out of Lee products and I noted that their 379-250-RF looks kinda nice.

http://leeprecision.com/images/T/xctmpY0WVe2.png

Other makers have similar offerings I am sure.

You may want to read the SuperMag writeup at the link below. It has some info that to me sounds closer to the "real story" than stuff elsewhere:

http://www.singleactions.com/TheSuperMags.html

69daytona
12-01-2015, 01:27 AM
I shoot Ihmsa in the 80 while in Hawaii while in the USMC, did it with a Dan Wesson 44 pistol PAC I bought while over there, still have it along with its big brother the 445.
the 357 SM was hat I was looking for and ran across a guy selling one along with. New in box 375 so after a little bartering he is selling me both of them, these are extremely had to find in Calif and I am getting a great bargain.
have shoot a 375, my best friend bought one and I did all his reloading, what a flame thrower but very accurate.
cant wait to finish this deal and get them out of jail.
Out of all the guns I have the Dan Wesson's are my favorites.
Thanks for the info.

P Flados
12-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Out of all the guns I have the Dan Wesson's are my favorites.

Seems like a pattern.

For new heavy duty use long range revolvers, the FA's are probably the go to choice now. However, the entry fee is not exactly a "deal", for example:

904-37

.41 Remington Magnum
4¾", 6", 7½", 10"

$2199.00

I would probably also have fun with:

BFR30-30 .30/30 Winchester, 10” Barrel BFR Revolver Long Cylinder, Stainless Steel MSRP: $1,184.00

However, unless one of these drops from the sky and falls into my hand, I really have no reason to do anything other than keep using what I have.

69daytona
12-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks P Flados, got a few hundred cases on order. Now to find some more 375 Winchester.

P Flados
12-05-2015, 05:57 PM
FYI, I just updated the New LEE 358-200-RF thread (post 65).

In my TC, I now have a sub 3 MOA load for my 357 max with plenty of steam for 200 meter rams.

My DW tends to like heavy loads, so I am hoping it will also like these. I still have a stockpile of the Speer 200s as a fall back plan.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?283606-New-LEE-design-358-200-RF&p=3459027#post3459027