PDA

View Full Version : Help! CZ75, P226 or 92FS

Kevinakaq
11-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Gentlemen,

Looking to add a hammer fired pistol to my collection. My current 'full size' semi-auto pistols include M&P9,40,45, an SD40, and a Springfield 1911 milspec. Have been considering a Glock but right now am looking to add a hammer fired pistol with higher capacity than my 1911 in either 9mm (preferred) or 40 s&w. Looking to spend in the 5-600 range. Can get the 226 in 40 cal from CDNN used for 499 (excellent condition). I also met a guy at quarry other day that works for Sig here in Exeter who offerred to pick one up using his employee discount (.50 off msrp) but I would feel odd asking him to do this even though he offerred out of the blue.

Primarily would be a quarry gun as I am not short in the self defense realm. No good reason for this purchase except I just really want one which I suppose is a great reason considering the company I am posting in.

Thoughts/opinions as I angst over this choice? I have been trying to make this choice for a month or so and just not making any progress and I am down to my last layaway at Buds and will be anxious to add another to the queue.

As a side confusion I have also considered a P229 or SP-01 as a good range gun that I could also easily conceal under a jacket as I have much greater opportunities for this in NH than I did in FL....

Thanks guys for all thoughts on the matter.

dragon813gt
11-29-2015, 10:16 PM
CZ75 over the others. It personally points more naturally for me than any other handgun. They are inherently accurate due to the design. Shoot one and you will be convinced.

Slight thread drift. What's w/ all the Mexican food restaurants in Exeter. There was four w/in walking distance of my hotel. Not what I expected for the area. I ended up going to bar in a basement in town anyway :)

Kevinakaq
11-29-2015, 10:28 PM
Slight thread drift. What's w/ all the Mexican food restaurants in Exeter. There was four w/in walking distance of my hotel. Not what I expected for the area. I ended up going to bar in a basement in town anyway :)

LOL i know of two in that general area and have visited one of them a couple times. As for the two basement bars on Water Street....well I may have visited them more than a couple times...

CZ is definitly getting a lot of my interest...everyone it seems loves the way they handle/feel.

dragon813gt
11-29-2015, 10:47 PM
The hardest part about the CZ is choosing the variant you want. It took me 18 months to find one locally. It was a 75BD. I wasn't to keen on the decocker at first. Now I like the feature, even though I don't carry it. You can't go wrong w/ a SP-01 either.

Bzcraig
11-29-2015, 10:59 PM
The 92 is a very good gun albeit a huge gun! The CZ a great choice but Sigs of most flavors have always floated my boat!

runfiverun
11-29-2015, 11:00 PM
CZ I got the 75-B retro.
no complaints sept I shoulda bought 2 of them.

the 92 went down the road about as fast as anything I ever bought ,and I kept on trying to get it to shoot.
I liked the gun itself it just flat out wouldn't shoot.
I had it for 2 weeks and spent 12 of those days shooting and reloading and shooting and trying something new.
my old tokarev shot better from minute one with milsurp ammo.

uncle joe
11-29-2015, 11:03 PM
sig 226 the 92 is a huge handfull. Can's speak on the cz much, but I own a sig 226 and it has to be one of the easiest to use full size handguns I have. I used it to qualify for our MS enhanced carry permit and it is a dream to shoot. It fits the palm well and just works, + you can send it to the factory and they will install all new springs, clean the internals AND install new sig night sights for around $160.

Joni Lynn
11-29-2015, 11:11 PM
My first choice would be a CZ, second is a Sig. The 226 I have runs great but then so does my older CZ75.
I had a 92FS and put it up for adoption. For some reason it just didn't do it for me on any level. I only did 2 range trips with it.
My favorite 9mm is my Browning HP. It's different though and not one of your choices.

blueeyephil
11-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Only experience with CZ and SIG. Both great. I had an SP01 that I was using for competition but I'm not very good and went back to my striker gun. But I loved the feel of it. I also like the SIG P226 a lot but between the two prefer the feel of the CZ in the hand. But the quality of the SIG is very good. And I have a conversion kit that gave me a 9mm slide/barrel and mag. I bought it as a .357 SIG/.40 as it had both barrels. So three guns in one and I have no plans to let it go for sure. And I like the way it shoots.

But do you want a cocked and locked or decocker. CZ has lots more options and Cajun Gun Works provides a DIY gunsmith with some easy upgrades.

If you want a CZ pattern gun you also have several other options, including some value guns built in Turkey and the Jerico by ISI.

Love Life
11-29-2015, 11:15 PM
1) CZ
2) Beretta
3) Sig

Mauser48
11-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Cz 75b. Its definitely on my short list. The beretta is way to bulky for a 9mm. The CZ fits the hand really nice. I have heard very good reports on the accuracy as well.

SOFMatchstaff
11-29-2015, 11:34 PM
Look seriously at the CZ line, I have the CZ75-B-SA, and its a keeper, added the 22LR conversion kit and it is one of my
more accurate 9mm pistols. The poor mans Sig Neuhausen 210.

dragon813gt
11-29-2015, 11:47 PM
If you go w/ a CZ you have two great options for tuning. One is Cajun Gunworks who was mentioned above. The second is the CZ Custom Shop. I haven't been able to make my mind up as to who I'm sending mine to. A buddy has one worked over by CGW and it's a really slick pistol.

Bigslug
11-30-2015, 12:46 AM
CZ - one of the few guns still made completely out of STEEL, and you can carry the original version cocked and locked or DA/SA (personally, I'd get the SAO and not bother with the DA versions)

Sig - high bore axis and not very left hand friendly.

Beretta - I'd sooner have an obsidian spear.

tazman
11-30-2015, 02:08 AM
I have a Beretta 92fs and like it. I also have the Taurus PT92 which is a Beretta clone. Both are accurate for me and will eat any ammo I feed them without complaint.
I can't give an opinion on the other guns mentioned as I have never shot them. They have good reputations so I wouldn't worry much about quality.
I would suggest that you find a dealer where you can handle or try out the guns in question because how it feels in your hand is important.

harley45
11-30-2015, 03:07 AM
I have a stainless 226 in 9mm that is my duty gun it has the short trigger and short trigger reset and it has become one of my all time favorite guns. It would be the 2nd to the last to be sold!

Combat Diver
11-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Having used and carried all three down range (CZ was battlefield pickup). I've been shooting the CZ75 since I got my first one in Germany in 88' and still have one at the house. Got the most shooting with a M9 after decades of it being the service handgun and was working with one when I retired earning leg points going toward my Distinguished Pistol badge. Longest handgun was with a M9 and M882 Ball at 300m on a KD range. Worked with the SIG on and off over the years with the SEALs, Army has the compact version known as the M11 (228) but requires the most training as manual of arms is more different from the others. Carried a 226 on my first contract after retiring in Iraq. All are reliable guns you can trust your life to if you learn them.

CZ75-
Pros
All steel gun for least amount of recoil
Low bore axis for fast shot recovery

Cons
Hardest to find mags for and there are different generations
Most limited holster selection
Older models sight selection limited due to front sight staked in

Beretta 92
Pros
Softest shooting
Lowest cost per quality spare mag and abundant
Best holster selection

Cons
Big and bulky (I have no issues carrying concealed however)
Front sight is fixed on some guns (not dovetailed and part of slide)

SIG 226
Pros
Front and rear sight dovetailed

Cons
Highest bore axis
Different manual of arms

They are all good guns, it boils down to personal preference. Mine is the tied at Beretta/CZ with the SIG close third. However, as stated I have no issues carrying either one to protect myself or my country's.

CD

rbertalotto
11-30-2015, 08:20 AM
No competition...CZ75!

One of the finest, reliable, natural pointing, reasonably priced firearms you can buy.....and accurate as a bonus.

Bonz
11-30-2015, 08:33 AM
IMHO, the CZ75 BD would be just about everyone's first pick out of the three if they had a chance to shoot one. I rented one at a shooting range and bought the first one that I could find. The photo is of the rental gun at the shooting range and I found and bought the same exact model.

Ed_Shot
11-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Another vote for the CZ75B, a fine shooter.

Bonz
11-30-2015, 09:02 AM
You can read all about the different variations of the pistol here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75

You can buy magazines and custom parts here - http://czcustom.com/index.aspx

rond
11-30-2015, 10:06 AM
EAA Witness is a CZ clone, I have 2 and like them a lot. Also look at Bersa, I'm trying to wear one out and it just keeps going.

Love Life
11-30-2015, 10:23 AM
The CZ would take the win for me because their safety is in a much better place on the firearm. I'm a big fan of the Beretta, and find them to be quite accurate and very reliable, but the safety location and bass ackwards operation can hang people up. It's easily overcome with a couple minutes a night practicing with the firearm unloaded, but just something to keep in mind.

Kevinakaq
11-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Definitly have me leaning towards the CZ. Another thing to consider which I forgot to mention is that I am a leftie.

Combat Diver
11-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Definitly have me leaning towards the CZ. Another thing to consider which I forgot to mention is that I am a leftie.

CZ85 (75 with ambi controls)

CD

historicfirearms
11-30-2015, 02:53 PM
I would go with the Sig. The CZ is a nice gun but I didn't like where the trigger sits in the guard, it was always a little awkward. I've had three Berettas and tried to like them. They will feed a wadcutter bullet, they are that reliable, but darn that stupid safety and its backwards movement. So for me, the Sig is my favorite. But really, all three are really good guns.

Kevinakaq
11-30-2015, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=blueeyephil;3452695]But do you want a cocked and locked or decocker. QUOTE]

Was leaning towards a decocker.

Mk42gunner
11-30-2015, 06:48 PM
For a range gun: CZ 75, P226, Beretta in distant third place.
For a carry gun: P226, CZ 75, Beretta in distant third place.

There are a plethora of CZ 75's and clones out there, just find the variant you want and they work.

A well used and broken in P226 is remarkably easy to shoot well.

As an Armorer and Rangemaster in the Navy,I saw way too many broken locking blocks in the M9 to ever want to trust a Beretta with my life. The first indication of a broken locking block is the gun fails to unlock. You can usually get one or at most two rounds more down range by doing the tap rack bang drill; but I really don't want to try that under fire.

With that bit of unpleasantness out of the way; most Beretta's and the few Taurus clones I have been around were at least combat accurate.

Robert

Lagamor
11-30-2015, 07:22 PM
I have a Sig P226 40 cal and a CZ 85 Combat 9mm. Love both of them, but prefer the CZ.
It's ambidextrous, rugged, got target sights, a soft trigger and it just laughs at recoil.
They are both very accurate, but I'm a better shot with the CZ.

Mytmousemalibu
11-30-2015, 07:42 PM
CZ-75, just love those guns, anything CZ you cant go wrong! I also the P-07! I would really like to test drive the Sphinx's pistols, CZ based design and Swiss build!

43PU
11-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I have all 3
My CZ is my Favorite hand gun that I own, other than a Makerov in 32 ACP, I also have the 226 MK25 with a threaded barrel, and I also have a Beretta 92 S I shoot my CZ just a little bit better than my 226 because it feels better in my hand.

43PU

wv109323
11-30-2015, 10:42 PM
I have the CZ75B-Omega. It is a fine pistol and more accurate than I expected. The one concern I have with the pistol is the chamber. The actual bore size is .3568 so a cast lead bullet needs to be .358". The bullets I cast from 9MM molds would tumble at .356. Most 9MM molds will not cast this large so I had to go with a .357 revolver mold. When the larger bullet(.358") is used the bullet hits the rifling. There is about .005" of "freebore" in the chamber.
If you get a large bore barrel and want to use lead bullets you will need to have the chamber reamed. This is no concern if you use .355 jacketed bullets.

Grapeshot
12-01-2015, 12:42 AM
I've owned several 9mm's over the years. I had three Glocks, a S&W 59, and got rid of them all for one reason or another. I now own a CZ 75B Omega. It is by far the most accurate 9mm I have ever owned. I carry it when I am working at the Indoor Range. It feeds everything I've tried so far. FMJ Round nose, Hollow points, Hornady Critical Defense rounds, Plated TC, and lead Truncated Cone Flat Base.

None of the other Nine's in our shop fit my hands as well as this CZ75. Recoil is almost non-existent. You won't go wrong getting a VZ75.

ebner glocken
12-01-2015, 03:52 AM
I own two of the three, a cz and a 92. The CZ is w/o a doubt the pick of them. I never much cared for sigs as being a lefty the safety is just totally wrong although they do shoot well.

Ebner

Ragnarok
12-01-2015, 10:58 AM
I own a CZ75B Omega and an older Sig P226. Both great guns and comfortable. However the CZ 75 is really sweet and eats anything 9mm you can stuff in it.

rintinglen
12-01-2015, 11:51 AM
My preference is for Sig's, but a CZ is not a bad choice. There isn't much difference between them--I'd just choose the one that felt the best.

9.3X62AL
12-01-2015, 12:12 PM
I have owned and carried on- and off-duty all three makes, and have no qualms about any of the three. Kind of a Ford/Chevy/Mopar question, really. Personal favorite is the CZ-75B in 40 S&W, and I sure wish it hadn't been disallowed by my shop for carry by HR 218 policy changes.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-01-2015, 12:16 PM
I have a SAR based on the CZ-75. I find the narrow slide within the frame much harder to manipulate than my XD/m, XD/s and multiple 1911s. Yeah it's not a CZ, but that narrow slide/wider frame does not handle well. The SAR (CZ-75 clone) does point well, the grip does feel good in the hand, but slide manipulation is more awkward. I spent many years as a full and part-time farrier - hand strength is not an issue as I find ths XD/S in .45 and a Colt Officer's .45 slides easier to operate.

Kevinakaq
12-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Lots and lots of good comments guys. Really appreciated the time each one of you took to make well thought responses.

i am torn between the 75bd and 85 b. Want the decocker of the 75bd but like the ambi controls of the 85b. Least i am much closer to,a decision...ha! If only they had a 85 bd!

Van
12-01-2015, 11:03 PM
1st CZ75, 2nd Sig 226, 3rd Beretta.

Petrol & Powder
12-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Combat Diver's #17 post is right on the money.

I have experience with all 3 guns and agree that there is no bad choice in that list.
There seems to be a lot of affection for the all steel CZ and while the CZ is a fine gun the steel frame is not a deciding factor for me.

The Beretta magazines would likely be the most common but that may not be a huge issue for the OP. There are small pros & cons for each gun on that list but no serious deal breakers or winning issues.

Two of the guns, the SIG and the CZ, use a Browning style tilting barrel while the Beretta utilizes a tilting locking block, "a la Walther P-38" to accomplish barrel to slide locking. No clear winners there as both systems are well proven.
The CZ slide rides inside the frame on relatively long rails while the SIG is pretty much the reverse with long outside frame rails. The Beretta slide is the widest but it is also an open top slide. Again, different approaches but no real winners.

Echale3
12-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Many years ago, I carried an EAA Witness as my off duty gun. When I was shopping for it, I borrowed and fired the P226, the Beretta, and a Taurus from other officers. The P226 is a fine pistol, but I preferred the Witness over it, and the Beretta/Taurus pistols were far away in a distant third place.

I didn't care much for the Beretta for my purposes. It shot OK and would eat whatever you stuck in the mag but manipulating the slide-mounted safety is a PITA for me and the sheer bulk of it is off-putting for concealed carry. I like the Taurus version better as far as the reach and operation of the safety goes as compared to the Beretta, but it's still a big fat lump that's hard to conceal, and it's a Taurus, with all the baggage that entails.

Whiterabbit
12-02-2015, 02:18 PM
I don;t shoot semi autos, but if I did, CZ would be on my list. For two reasons:

I have been satisfied with every CZ product I own.
I prefer all steel guns over aluminum and plastic.

Dan Cash
12-02-2015, 02:55 PM
If I absolutely had to have a high cap 9 or 40, I would go first with the CZ. The ones I have handled pointed well and seemed most reliable. Second would be a SIG but my P229, while dead nuts reliable, gripping it is like holding an elephant by its male member. After experience with a large number of military Beretta 92s, I think they have too many component failures (firing pins and locking blocks) and the finish comes off the frame leaving them tacky looking.

Kevinakaq
01-24-2016, 08:10 AM
As an update I did layaway a CZ 85 a couple weeks ago! Looking forward to testing her out in a month or so. Thanks again to all for your comments/advice/opinions.

Petrol & Powder
01-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Looking forward to a report when you get it.

badbob454
01-31-2016, 04:21 PM
righty 75b lefty 85b .......................:2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfirin g_v1: oops i guess im late Good choice though

robertbank
02-01-2016, 01:31 PM
One thing not mentioned is the 85 Combat and 85B's do have a reputation for braking slide releases over time. IPSC folks up here speak to 10K round level when the right hand lever will depart company. I had a 1988 version of the 85 Combat that had the lever break after a zillion rounds (way more than 10K). That particular gun was an early model and required a larger hole in the frame to accommodate the newer version of the slide stop. The larger diameter pin on the lever really has not solve the problem. If you are a high volume shooter you might want to have a replacement part on hand.

To the OP you won't be disappointed in your choice. The 85B is a great gun based upon an even better design. The CZ folks know how to build quality products, an almost forgotten art form these days.

Take Care

Bob
ps I just acquired a Mke 25 Sig 226 - should arrive today. I have several CZ's all of which are great shooters.

Kevinakaq
06-04-2016, 03:32 PM
It has been about two months since I picked up the CZ 85b from my local FFL dealer and I must state unequivocally that I am extremely happy with the purchase. I have taken it to the range here in Exeter four times (along with other pistols) and the CZ has quickly become my favorite. Of all my pistols I seem to be the most accurate with this one and the fit to hand is just incredible. This morning at the range I fired around 150 rounds (Lee 356-124 RN powder coated – Sized .357, 5.1 grains of Power Pistol) and the groups were tight and consistent at 10 yards. And to be honest I have never been a great pistol shot, but I am able to practice a lot more now that I have joined the local club here after moving up from Florida 18 months ago.

The CZ 85 feels exceedingly natural in the hand – which everyone I have spoken to or read about seems to agree upon. Haven’t had a malfunction of any type up to this point with about 600 rounds fired. Finish and build quality are great and I had no complaints when I picked it up. In fact, I like the CZ so much when BUDS had some Interarms Surplus pistols for sale a couple weeks ago I picked up a CZ 75D compact. They were rated “Fair” for 279 and as you can see from the picture I have no reason to complain about the purchase. Took the 75D completely apart and gave her a Simple Green bath in the ultrasonic cleaner. I must admit the sear assembly did give me a challenge getting back together just right! At the range this morning the compact was just as accurate as the full size and fit my hand like a glove. It may give its full size cousin a run for top billing… Need to find a good lefty holster for it but I will most like not carry it concealed as it is a bit heavy…but still debating that.

One can officially state that I am officially impressed with the CZ’s. So much so that I also laid away a couple Jericho 941’s that were Interarms surplus at the same time I purchased the compact. My understanding is that they are a CZ 75 derivative made/assembled in Israel. Look forward to getting them in hand and testing! Nothing better (well…) than learning a new pistol.

dragon813gt
06-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Wish I knew about the D variant for that price at Bud's. I would have bought two just because :)

Kevinakaq
06-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Wish I knew about the D variant for that price at Bud's. I would have bought two just because :)

they still have cz 75's for 299, rated fair.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/411556276/Handguns/CZ-USA/Used+Interarms+Surplus+CZ+75+9mm+16%2B1+Fair

dragon813gt
06-04-2016, 05:31 PM
I saw them and they aren't the Compacts. If they were I would have bought them already ;)

robertbank
06-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Kevinakaq (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?30119-Kevinakaq)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-online.png Your should be able to out the 85 complete slide on the 75D Compact frame and visa versa if you want a bit of variety.

Bob

Zim
06-04-2016, 08:31 PM
I like the IMI but the slide mounted safety is peculiar, but makes a great handle for racking the slide. Fun guns. The full size 75 is great & the grips are the same to me.

Good choice & enjoy

Walter Laich
06-05-2016, 12:39 PM
piling on late in the game.
My CZ 85 is the love of my life. It is super in all regards.
can't go wrong with any of the CZs though

Kevinakaq
06-05-2016, 07:48 PM
I like the IMI but the slide mounted safety is peculiar, but makes a great handle for racking the slide. Fun guns. The full size 75 is great & the grips are the same to me.

Good choice & enjoy

Very much looking forward to receiving the IMI Jericho 941FS (compact) tomorrow. The 941F (full size) remains on layway. As a side note I also received an Interarms BUL M-5 9mm from Buds and at first I considered it an ugly duckling and had some regrets. After shooting it and cleaning her up I am truely impressed. Trigger is incredible and 18 rounds in an 1911 platform is nothing to sneeze at. Flying down to Florida - HOME - on Friday to spend some time in my workshop (and do some bass fishing) and think I will bring the slide along with me and rust blue. Maybe turn it into a swan. The BUL has grown on me, but then again like any other old bachelor I always smile at something new...

Kevinakaq
06-05-2016, 07:56 PM
piling on late in the game.
My CZ 85 is the love of my life. It is super in all regards.
can't go wrong with any of the CZs though

I to am impressed and suprised wth CZ quality. What are your thoughts on their rifles?

9.3X62AL
06-06-2016, 03:54 PM
I to am impressed and suprised wth CZ quality. What are your thoughts on their rifles?

Do you REALLY want that genie out of the bottle? :-) Don't get me started, I will lapse lyrical for days on end about CZ rifles.

Check for PM, sir.

Mk42gunner
06-06-2016, 04:26 PM

As good as their handguns are, the rifles may even be better.

Robert

Kevinakaq
06-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Good choice & enjoy

Sitting here waiting for my NH background check to work its way through the state police system and thought I would comment that this IMI model (941fs) has the safey mounted to the frame which I am glad to see. I prefer it this way as well over the slide mounted.

Condition is as good as I could expect with some slide wear. Feels great in the hand to me and well balanced. Very similiar in feel to the cz 75. Will post a few pics later when I get home.

kev

Virginia John
06-07-2016, 07:29 AM
I have the P226 with 3 barrels; 9mm, .357SIG and .40S&W. The 226 gives you 3 in 1. However, your other 2 are also on my list. Good luck with your decision.