PDA

View Full Version : Cant fined 24ga- 577/450 brass.

Desertbuck
11-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I can't find converted brass or 24 gauge brass. Is there any left?
The stuff Im finding is 7 and $8 a piece! Little too rich for me.

40-82 hiker
11-29-2015, 08:04 PM
I can't find converted brass or 24 gauge brass. Is there any left?
The stuff Im finding is 7 and $8 a piece! Little too rich for me.

Try https://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=17266

Never ordered anything from them. They don't show 24ga. Magtech in or out of stock on the above web page. Worth calling in the morning? $30.25 per box of 25.

Good luck.

curator
11-29-2015, 08:53 PM
DesertBuck:

Check with PommyB at: xringservices@yahoo.com He makes 577-450 Brass from MechTech 24 gauge brass when he can get it. I believe it is on back order just about everywhere and you may need to wait your turn. However, PommyB can give you the straight answer and get you in line for your batch of reloadable 577-450 Martini Henry brass at reasonable prices.

Tackleberry41
11-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Midway will have them, then not have any for a while. I doubt the 24ga has a whole lot of demand vs more popular ones. I have never even seen a 24ga shotgun, so makes you wonder if only people buying the magtech 24ga are martini owners.

Geezer in NH
11-30-2015, 07:35 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598853/bertram-reloading-brass-577-450-martini-henry-box-of-20

Want them pay the money there are no free rides anymore in the firearms industry.

Basically you ranted there are none but there is. Price seems more than you want to pay.

Desertbuck
11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
^^^^I guess I should have been a little bit more clear. I am looking for the converted 24 gauge brass or straight up 24 gauge brass. Yes I know about Bertram brass. I will not buy it unless I absolutely have to. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a corner I wasn't looking I could find the 24 gauge brass and/or if they knew if somebody had converted brass for sale.
Thanks for for the link though.

craig61a
12-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Availability has been spotty over the last couple of years. Your best chance is to keep checking the vendor sites regularly and hope you stumble upon some who has it available. I don't know how often they do a run of 24 ga, so no telling how soon it may be back in regular supply.

As for formed brass, CapTech (formerly Jamison) has it on their site, although it's not in production. I called them last year about this time and was told they'd be doing a run this year, but as it's already Dec, I doubt they will be doing a run anytime soon. Jamison had some real issues the last time they did a run (well not necessarily their bad - chamber sizes vary widely on these and different flavors of Martinis).

Finally, if I could find it, I'd opt for the 24 ga hulls. The Lee dies will be good for initial forming; after fire forming you'll have to adapt. If the bore isn't to great of a difference to the fire formed case mouth, just get a boolit die that drops about .001 - .002 over the diameter of the fire formed case mouth.

Ragnarok
12-02-2015, 09:24 AM
I bought my 24ga brass from Midway..however that was like 3 years ago. Was Magtech brass...and I had three or four out of 50 that the primer pockets were too big

Converting 24ga to .577/.450 is a slow..tedious task though

toot
12-04-2015, 11:43 AM
you can get converted 24 gauge from- BOB HAYLEY AT 211 NORTH RIVER, PO BOX 889, SEYMOUR,TX. 76380- TEL- (940) 888-3352. GIVE HIM A CALL AND LEAVE A MESSAGE, HE WILL CALL YOU BACK. HE IS A GREAT GUY TO DEAL WITH. I JUST GOT SOME 577/450 FROM HIM. GOOD LUCK.

Desertbuck
12-07-2015, 12:31 AM
you can get converted 24 gauge from- BOB HAYLEY AT 211 NORTH RIVER, PO BOX 889, SEYMOUR,TX. 76380- TEL- (940) 888-3352. GIVE HIM A CALL AND LEAVE A MESSAGE, HE WILL CALL YOU BACK. HE IS A GREAT GUY TO DEAL WITH. I JUST GOT SOME 577/450 FROM HIM. GOOD LUCK.

Thank you so much toot! That's exactly the corner I was looking for. I gave him a call as soon as I saw your post.
Are you close enough to me I could share a Steel Reserve with you? :-)

milrifle
12-07-2015, 08:25 PM
That's good news. If he is getting it, that means it should be coming available. The chamber of my .577 Snider is way oversize. I can't see spending $7-8 a piece for brass that may not last long due to excessive expansion. I will have the same problem with Magtech, but at least I'm only out a buck a piece when I do. I've had some 24ga Magtech on backorder from Brownells for months now. Maybe I'm about to get an e-mail.:bigsmyl2:

enfield
12-07-2015, 08:56 PM
The 577/450 is still the official Canadian Military cartridge :mrgreen: so we all keep plenty on hand.

155145 155146:bigsmyl2:

Desertbuck
12-26-2015, 12:53 AM
The 577/450 is still the official Canadian Military cartridge :mrgreen: so we all keep plenty on hand.

155145 155146:bigsmyl2:

Still the official military cartridge for Canada? He he
Jokes aside nothing wrong with an old charcoal burner that slings almost 500gr of lead at a time. And I can tell you from experience from being married into a family that is full of individuals that at one time did not appreciate old guns just because thay are old. In their eyes old firearms were junk! And black powder firearms why would you want one? They shoot boolits slower than pellet guns! After a trip to the range with me they have all since growing a very heavy respect for them. And black powder firearms are no longer as weak as they thought they were! ;)
I'm very jealous of how much brass you have!
I still haven't ordered mine yet I ran out of cash :(

Japlmg
12-26-2015, 04:16 PM
The real issue is that CBC/Magtech only makes 24 gauge brass about once per year.
So you get it while its available, or you wait another year.
Gregg

Desertbuck
04-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Heads up!!! Magtech 24gauge brass finally in stock at Midway USA and Buffalo Arms. I just ordered 3 boxes. Eeeeeee! Can't wait :)
Looking forward to showing this old girl come back to life to my grandfather.
I showed it to him when I got it on Christmas, and the old-timer eyes lit up with Envy. He told me this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have what is essentially a Victorian era amuseum piece. And a working one at that.
And I told him that I was intending on shooting it.
He said you better bring it over when you do!

Polar_Hunter
04-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Send a PM to "Zuke" (user name), he may be able to help you if you want 577/450 brass formed from 24 gauge MagTec.

prsman23
04-03-2016, 12:57 AM
Grafs has had it for a while. Bought mine two weeks ago (24ga)

1Hawkeye
04-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Try Graf & sons and ballistic products they may have some in stock.

Desertbuck
04-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Try Graf & sons and ballistic products they may have some in stock.

Well shoot guys there a little cheaper too! Haven't been looking for 24gauge brass for a little over 3 months. I'm glad to see it readily available again. Hopefully demand is now high enough they make a little extra to keep us happy.

BrentD
04-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Wouldn't you rather have .577 rifle brass?

Desertbuck
04-06-2016, 06:01 PM
577 Snider is around $7 apiece. And you still have to convert it so for me no. I'd be better off just buying Martini Henry brass at close to that same amount. If I was going to go that route. It's just a little rich for my blood at this time.
After I have proven this rifle to shoot as good as it looks and if I'm not satisfied with the life of the Magtech brass maybe I will invest in some factory 577/450 brass.

BrentD
04-06-2016, 08:55 PM
$4 each http://www.captechintl.com/proddetail.php?prod=577NE20pcs

they used to make it already sized to .450, but I don't see it at a quick glance. It was far better (and SAFER) than the Magtech ****.

Desertbuck
04-06-2016, 10:11 PM
$4 each http://www.captechintl.com/proddetail.php?prod=577NE20pcs

they used to make it already sized to .450, but I don't see it at a quick glance. It was far better (and SAFER) than the Magtech ****.

Well I looked around at the link you provided. And found 577/450 $3.20 a piece. Now that I can swallow $64 for 20. But they're out of stock:(

skeettx
04-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Look here
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551354589

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=550629588

Desertbuck
04-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Look here
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551354589

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=550629588

Already got 3 boxes of 24ga Magtech brass arriving tomorrow, thank you though. :) And I have been eyeballing that Jameson brass but didn't jump on it because I heard of quality issues with it? I believe the companies out of business if I remember correctly. Is it?

BrentD
04-07-2016, 07:33 AM
It's brass is WAY better then Magtech. Or at least the stuff I bought was. I don't even consider Magtech safe for use in rifles. Jamison was reformed as Captech a few years ago. It's brass is of average quality - again, a far cry better than the junk you just bought. But they are your eyes.

Boz330
04-07-2016, 08:50 AM
I have Bertrand, Jamison, and the Magtech. The Magtech bases tend to get rounded, probably because the head space is loose compared to the others. It is very thin in the base. If you keep the loads on the light side you will probably be OK but I sure wouldn't try and hot rod it. Use your screened powder or Kapok filler. Do not use COW or any solid type filler it can raise pressures dramatically. If you want some Kapok I can send you a life time supply in a small box for the cost of postage.
I have some of the first Jamison brass that was made and I didn't have any problems with it. The chambers on MH are so variable that, that could have been one of the problems with it. I know that my fire formed brass won't fit in some other rifles.

Bob

Desertbuck
04-08-2016, 09:07 PM
I have Bertrand, Jamison, and the Magtech. The Magtech bases tend to get rounded, probably because the head space is loose compared to the others. It is very thin in the base. If you keep the loads on the light side you will probably be OK but I sure wouldn't try and hot rod it. Use your screened powder or Kapok filler. Do not use COW or any solid type filler it can raise pressures dramatically. If you want some Kapok I can send you a life time supply in a small box for the cost of postage.
I have some of the first Jamison brass that was made and I didn't have any problems with it. The chambers on MH are so variable that, that could have been one of the problems with it. I know that my fire formed brass won't fit in some other rifles.

Bob

Thank you for the offer sir but I'm good I appreciate it.:-)
And I can say from here on out I'm going to be ordering my brass pre-made from the get-go. I've gone through two boxes well almost and I've got more than 50% losses! I'm doing everything that I know of by the book. and once the fold starts like everybody says you can't stop it! And yes I am an annealing tell I'm getting that classic purple color not red.
I'm down to my last box and I do not want to attempt this myself anymore. I've barely got 20 good cases 5 of them are questionable but I'm pretty sure they'll fire form out.
I guess I'll be giving X Ring Services a call soon. I like the fact these cases hold just the right amount of my homemade gunpowder to come close to the service load without the need of Corning it. Close to 78gr by weight. Which is almost perfect for a 480 grain slug.
Do any of you happen to know somebody I can send my last box to to have formed for me? I hate to see it go to waste.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-09-2016, 05:17 AM
I agree, plenty of people have found the Magtech 24ga unreliable for the .577/.450, although my guess is that it would be OK for the .577 Snider. I don't believe it is likely to be dangerous in the Martini action, but its use could be a false economy.

I have seen old French SFM folded head cases which were strengthened by an internal brass cup around 5/8in. high, riveted in place by mushrooming of the primer pocket, which was Berdan. It would surely be possible to do something similar with the Magtech brass, but it shouldn't be soldered, and I don't believe I would trust epoxy. It might perhaps be done with the bearing-fitting grades of Loctite which are used for fitting bore liners. It would also help if your dies are a very close match for your chamber.

Desertbuck
04-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Do you gus think buying a 9/16 intermediate die is worth it? And if I do what do you think my success rate will be after that?

Polar_Hunter
04-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Do you gus think buying a 9/16 intermediate die is worth it? And if I do what do you think my success rate will be after that?

Most definitely worth it. In fact I would say that it is a necessity. The gentleman that I mentioned earlier (Zuke) tried without the intermediate die at first and found out right away that it is to easy to ruin your brass without it.

Desertbuck
04-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Thank you! I'll do some more searches on Zuke. Now I got to convince my significant other that I need a few more dollars for more brass and the die.
However I've got enough ammo made up to test this rifle I'm going to head out today to do that with my brother-in-law looking forward to it. Even though I lost a lot of cases the satisfaction of doing something yourself still out ways it.
I guess the expensive lesson I learned anyone who's wanting to do this himself do yourself a favor and just get the intermediate die. Truth be told I was thinking I should have picked it up to begin with. But I just saw that others made it work with just the resizing dies. Watched all the YouTube videos and was convinced I could do it too. I guess not! I have patience and a lot of it, but I tried doing everything by the book I tried everybody's little tricks and I kept getting the same results! That's as frustrated as I've been in a very long time!
But I never admit defeat!!! I've just got to get a few more tools to make the job easier. It can obviously be done with just the full-length resizing dies. However you're going to spend a lot of money learning how to use them.

yulzari
04-09-2016, 02:38 PM
I have been using Xringservices@yahoo.com CBC (Magtech) formed 577/450 cases for more than 2 years. Usually with full service 85 grain loads. Never any problems with them and with no losses for any reason. All used in the same rifle. Never annealed. Never sized. Just cleaned and reloaded. The same for my 577 Snider and .43 Beaumont. I cannot see any reason why I would not continue with them and buying them is, for me in France, cheaper than 24 bore cases unformed and much cheaper than buying a press, dies etc. I hope to be buying a Martini and a Snider mould from him too.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-10-2016, 11:44 AM
I have been using Xringservices@yahoo.com CBC (Magtech) formed 577/450 cases for more than 2 years. Usually with full service 85 grain loads. Never any problems with them and with no losses for any reason. All used in the same rifle. Never annealed. Never sized. Just cleaned and reloaded. The same for my 577 Snider and .43 Beaumont. I cannot see any reason why I would not continue with them...

No reason at all why you shouldn't, but there is quite a bit of variation in .577.450 chambers and dies, and ex-24ga cases will respond to it worse than others.

Boz330
04-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Thank you! I'll do some more searches on Zuke. Now I got to convince my significant other that I need a few more dollars for more brass and the die.
However I've got enough ammo made up to test this rifle I'm going to head out today to do that with my brother-in-law looking forward to it. Even though I lost a lot of cases the satisfaction of doing something yourself still out ways it.
I guess the expensive lesson I learned anyone who's wanting to do this himself do yourself a favor and just get the intermediate die. Truth be told I was thinking I should have picked it up to begin with. But I just saw that others made it work with just the resizing dies. Watched all the YouTube videos and was convinced I could do it too. I guess not! I have patience and a lot of it, but I tried doing everything by the book I tried everybody's little tricks and I kept getting the same results! That's as frustrated as I've been in a very long time!
But I never admit defeat!!! I've just got to get a few more tools to make the job easier. It can obviously be done with just the full-length resizing dies. However you're going to spend a lot of money learning how to use them.

I've never formed any but from what I remember you anneal after each step in the reforming. The guy who did mine ran them in a Snider die first then the Lee dies. If you know someone with a Snider you might be able to blow them out and start over with the brass if it isn't damaged too bad.

Bob

fgd135
04-25-2016, 10:45 AM
I have been using Xringservices@yahoo.com CBC (Magtech) formed 577/450 cases for more than 2 years. Usually with full service 85 grain loads. Never any problems with them and with no losses for any reason. All used in the same rifle. Never annealed. Never sized. Just cleaned and reloaded. The same for my 577 Snider and .43 Beaumont. I cannot see any reason why I would not continue with them <.

I agree wholeheartedly, as I use Xring's converted 24ga CBC brass in both a Snider and a MH, with no problems whatsoever, and some cases have been fired more than 4 times. I shoot exclusively black powder with these cases, full military charges, and do the usual after firing case cleaning, i.e., depriming and soaking in water and green soap solution while still at the range, then rinsing in clean water and tumbling back at home. No splits, no case head warping, and so far no primer pocket enlargement.

victorfox
04-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Oh man if I could I'd send you a box or two but in this dam***,country it would be considered international arms and ammunition trafficking... Sigh... These are very common here although they are berdan primed.

BrentD
04-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Oh man if I could I'd send you a box or two but in this dam***,country it would be considered international arms and ammunition trafficking... Sigh... These are very common here although they are berdan primed.

What country is that?

victorfox
04-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Brazil... Home of the fine cbc magtech cases. But I would need a ton of hassles and taxes and paperwork (plus a ton of time say one year) to send a single case (or to import anything gun related)... It's hard to explain.