PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show

Pressman
11-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Wife and her sister took the day to visit relatives leaving me with the chance to hit the Des Moines fairgrounds show. Lots of black guns and parts, lots of powder and components. Lots of knives, some really nice from the smaller custom makers. Good thing I don't collect them.:shock:

Two dealers had some old tools and I gave them all my money. No real bargains or rare treasures. Just the pieces I need to fill gaps in the collection. RCBS JR3 and RS presses. That completes the RCBS line through 1980. I have been thinking of some way to get them all in line for a group photo.

Several boxes of dies from makers I didn't have. And, finally I found a SAECO lubesizer that was all there, in good shape and reasonably priced. I had been looking for sometime for one and I got a good one. Got it boiled out and cleaned up. Looks good.

Ken

beeser
11-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Good for you Ken. Sounds like you had a good time and congrats on your gun show finds.

LUBEDUDE
11-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Congrats Ken!

RogerDat
11-29-2015, 01:11 PM
I seldom see used equipment at our gun shows. Novi and Mason shows the few items I have seen were a bit over priced. Components and some new equipment is available. Good to hear that is not the case where you are.

Would be neat to see that group "family" photo of a generation of presses.

nagantguy
11-29-2015, 04:20 PM
RogerDat frequents the same guns shows as me for the most part, he's right haven't found a truly awesome deal on components or parts in a spell. Especially the Novi show, in a high rent district and the price tags read accordingly. We only live about 6 miles apart. Anyhow glad you found your sought after items, it's kind of like metal detecting you just never know what you'll find.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2015, 05:08 PM
Ken, sounds like some great finds.

The last gunshow I was working at, a friend and fellow vendor who I only see once a year and always brings me various lots of lead alloys that he comes across (at a reasonable price)...also handed me a small handfull of gun literature ...In there was a 1971 RCBS catalog (37 pages) Is that anything you'd be interested in ? It's yours free if you want it.

Pressman
11-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Jon, I do have that issue. Thanks for the offer.

I need 1972, 1976, 1980-83. If anyone has them I would like to add them to the ARTCA archive.

Ken

flashhole
11-30-2015, 06:10 PM
We need pics so we can drool..

JeffG
12-01-2015, 12:00 AM
I rarely see old reloading tools at the couple shows I frequent, but did get lucky back in February, a guy had a used Lyman 45, for 25$, all original, nothing hacked, cracked or broken. It just had very old dried up lube that needed to be cleaned out and old flaking paint. Seems like he had a big honking pacific press there too, for about 40$ but I couldn't see a need for it. Probably a big mistake on my part.

Freightman
12-01-2015, 01:53 PM
I rarely see old reloading tools at the couple shows I frequent, but did get lucky back in February, a guy had a used Lyman 45, for 25$, all original, nothing hacked, cracked or broken. It just had very old dried up lube that needed to be cleaned out and old flaking paint. Seems like he had a big honking pacific press there too, for about 40$ but I couldn't see a need for it. Probably a big mistake on my part.
I found a big six hole Herters Press and got it for 50 at the gun show had no use for it put it on Ebay and got $275 for it.

Hardcast416taylor
12-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I used to go to the Novi show as well as the Birch Run shows. I have`nt gone to either of them now in about 5 years, I just got tired of seeing old equipment and some reloading componets for sale for new retail and more prices, besides fighting crowds and scalper parking fees plus door fees.Robert