PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to paper patching

EDG
11-28-2015, 10:15 PM
I once worked in a company that wound its own solenoid bobbins.
They used small automated coil winder to wind magnet wire onto a .250 diameter bobbin to a diameter of .375".
This machine could be set for the bobbin length, RPM and the number of winds. It automatically shuttled the arm back and forth to lay down the coils.

It seems with the right bullet design you could wind on copper or brass wire, or any kind of cloth thread or cord with exact process control down to exactly the same number of turns and lenght of winding on each bullet. Cloth thread would permit using a lubricant or adhesive to provide a tighly bound spun cloth jacket.

dromia
11-29-2015, 02:58 AM
Here was me thinking powder coating is complicated.

Dryball
11-29-2015, 06:49 AM
It seems like wire wrapping has already been done: http://rceco.com/img/RSBook8.PDF

BrentD
11-29-2015, 10:36 AM
If you really want to try something slightly new, and likely to be both easy and effective, I would recommend trying for paper-less paper patched bullets. In place of the paper, I would tumble lube them 60% Lee's Liquid Alox+ 40% Johnsons liquid floor wax.

To do this you will need thicker bullets, basically .450" bullets - those of you that have moulds for groove diameter PPBs actually may have a bullet that will work or can be easily resized to this diameter with a Lee push-through sizing die.

I've been really impressed with the effectiveness of LLA or the 60LLA+40JLFW mix for my lever guns. I've been using it exclusively with smokeless loads for CLA matches. However, with BPTR Or BPCR, where wiping is the rule of the roost anyway, then this lube might also work.

It is on my list to try spring anyway.

big bore 99
11-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Seems a little complicated when paper patching works just fine for me. Was wondering though, stained glass people use an adhesive, thin copper foil to wrap the edges of glass for soldering. There are a couple thicknesses and widths. Has anyone tried this? Think the adhesive would gum things up?

BrentD
11-29-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm with you on paper patching is both easy and accurate, but the liquid lubes might just beat it in both departments. It is, I think, the one last real "frontier" for bpcr rifles.

big bore 99
11-29-2015, 11:12 AM
I should have done a search before posting about copper foil. Seems it's been done with bad results due to the glue.

johnson1942
11-29-2015, 12:08 PM
before i settled on paperpatching i thought along the same lines. i found a youtube vid. that was about useing poly coated kitchen aluminum foil and the fellow was getting good groups from that. as good as paperpatching. i tried it and it works but paperpatching is so easy to do. i also went so far for a custom sidelock long barrel fast twist muzzle loader i built for my self to do this. i had a mold made for a bullet that was a bore rider with a round ball attached to the base. i would knarl up the bore rider part a little and coat with lee alox. then i would patch the round ball end just as i would a round ball when started into the bore. the bore rider part would ingrave slightly and it is a very very accurate way to shoot a fast twist muzzle loader. i dont know if you could apply that kind of bullet to a large bore cartridge gun. i havent used that mold anymore as i found paperpatching a bullet for that muzzle loader was just as accurate. in all my muzzle loadersive gone to the single wrap paperpatching system and i find it much better than the double wrap system. in stead of 9 pound paper i single wrap with 18 pound paper. if one could get the paper to keep its shape on the bullet in a cartridge i would think the single wrap system would work very well for big bore cartridges also. i never ever has the paper stick to my bullet and it comes off at the muzzle as soon as it comes out the barrel, usually in one piece. when i recover the paper it has slits cut into the paper from the lands and you can see the bullet ingraves real good. i have read else where on the net of the double wrap single wrap ststem. how to do that is this, instead of water alone to wrap your bullets use a mixture of water and elmers glue. the double wrapped paper will be like a singe piece of paper when dry. when the paper is 100 percent dry take a razor and slit a vertical line along the bullet from top to bottom through the paper. this makes the paper come off of the bullet at the muzzle every time. ive done this also with my 45/70 but again regular paperpatching is just as good also. one thing i have done in all my paperpatching is go to no lube. i shoot my bullets dry in my muzzleloaders and my 2 45/70/s. much more consistincy in accracy this way and tighter groups. i think their are many ways to wrap a bullet but most come back to paperpatching.

big bore 99
11-29-2015, 12:13 PM
I agree. Paper patching has worked for many years. Why try to complicate the process.

EDG
11-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Quill pens worked for centuries until something better was tried.

I agree. Paper patching has worked for many years. Why try to complicate the process.

fiberoptik
12-20-2015, 12:04 AM
I think that the turkey boycotted the quill pen. Major law suit. That's why we went to metal tip pens.