PDA

View Full Version : Whats an enfield go for?

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Was just curious, friend was asking if I had any interest in one in the rack where he works. A mark 3, not sporterized or bubbad. Nice looking bore, end on the bolt was marked '42' so presume thats the original. Shop wanted $450 for it, stock had been refinished, doubt British sent them out with a gloss uerthane.

I have nothing to reload 303 with, and last one I bought was many years ago for $80.

Outpost75
11-28-2015, 08:27 PM
If urethane refinished stock, no way it is worth $450, maybe $150 for a blaster.

KLR
11-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Agreed. The gloss urethane destroys the value as a collector piece.

Tackleberry41
11-29-2015, 12:05 AM
I had my enfields, no need to go out buying more reloading stuff. First one I think was $60, the second $80. I had no idea how much they had gone up, some are worth money, some aren't. But figured $450 was a bit much. I never liked the ones with sights up on the barrel.

leebuilder
11-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Hard to say, some civilian service rifles will be worth a bit more. 450.00 sounds resonable up here. I would have to see it first, has the rifle got and history?. The stock finish can be changed. I bought one years ago for 80.00 with the bayonet. Dispersal rifles will command a premium, they had 40's stampings.

Be well.

Tackleberry41
11-29-2015, 10:56 AM
I do not think the shop is very knowledgeable on whats what when it comes to that sort of thing. They had no idea a mosin was a Finn rifle until I said something. And the owner had no idea what the cocking handle was on an HK33. Their all about glocks and AR15s. Everything else is just stuff they get in or take on trades. I think alot of it comes from the local department as their both constables. I might buy a cheap enfield, might, but not that kind of cash.

Love Life
11-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Id let my Enfield go for $450, lol. No4 MkI Savage.

RogerDat
11-29-2015, 01:05 PM
At $450 I'm pretty sure most members would throw in a set of dies. I cleaned cosmoline off mine bought surplus 30 years ago guess I'm not willing to sell it but many would not have as much attachment and would probably have dies. Pretty sure you can get someone to part with an Enfield dies and probably some brass for a better price than that.

You need to hang out in a better class of gun shops sounds like there is too much Tupperware and too little knowledge in that one.

Happyguy
11-29-2015, 01:13 PM
It does seem to be a little high.

bouncer50
11-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Theirs are a lot of fish in the sea. Some gunshop put a high prices on a gun just in case a fool with some cash will buy it. Its always been buyer beware on not keeping up on prices in todays markets. I was at a auction once two guys were biding on a Marlin 444 one guy paid more then 50.00 more for a used one then you could buy a new one for. A fool and his money will part theirs ways. Their are bargains out their you just have to shop around to find them.

Hardcast416taylor
11-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Id let my Enfield go for $450, lol. No4 Mk2 Savage.

It might give me pause about letting my No4 Mk1* Sav. go also, considering I only paid $13 for it delivered back in 1959!Robert

Tackleberry41
11-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Its a place friend of mine works at. If its not made of aluminum and plastic they really have little interest, and even then it has to be an AR15. He has a 1911 hanging on the door of his safe at home, needs a front sight, been that way for 2 yrs or so. All their prices are a bit high. Have a yugo SKS in the rack, didn't even ask, SKS don't usually sit in a rack long unless theres something wrong with it...or its priced to high. He asked if I was interested in the Enfield since I like 'weird' guns, looked it over, pretty nice, good bore. Looked at the tag..wow, yea good luck with that. I do not think he will see it as a problem in price when it sits a while.

RogerDat
11-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Sounds like that Enfield is fools bait. Sitting there looking for a fool to part with his money. I guess nothing wrong with putting something out overpriced in the hopes that someone will happen along that does not know better. Personally I would rather deal with someone that prices fairly up front. That way I know if I see a premium price I know I should probably ask why and at least learn something about how that item is valued.

If you consider retail sale price to reflect need for return on investment then you have to consider shop might have bought the Enfield for $150 or $200 in trade-in. If so they can wait for a pretty extended amount of time to get a return that is double or triple their money. Can also give someone a "deal" by knocking price down if they decide they want to make a sale and pay some bills.

tbx-4
11-29-2015, 11:48 PM
I paid $45 in 1983 for my first Lee Enfield, all original No4 MkI.... I paid $75 earlier this year for may latest Enfield, a sporteized No4 MkI....

Love Life
11-30-2015, 12:01 AM
Typo.

I have a Savage No4 MKI no asterisk (*) with 6 groove barrel. Will let it go for $450 any day of the week. Lol.

Tackleberry41
11-30-2015, 09:56 AM
I guess prices are according to perspective. The friend worked at a different shop with even higher prices, he was lucky to sell 3 or 4 guns a month. His employee price on guns was more than my guy off the street price at my local place. He got a new job where prices are 'lower'. Apparently sells alot of guns at the new place. But prices there are still higher than the place I go. Was in there black friday when me and my son went to visit for the holidays. A S&W M&P compact I was looking at was priced at $550, before tax and transfer, where I can walk into the place near me and get the same gun for $540 out the door.

Its funny he was showing me a gun a customer had ordered, NIB S&W. Had lines on the cylinder from being handled by them and everybody else that walked in.

Love Life
11-30-2015, 10:15 AM
The NIB S&W I have seen lately come from the factory with a mighty fine turn line...puke.

Tackleberry41
11-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Guess Im just the type if I order a new gun it should not be finger raped by a dozen people at the shop before I pick it up.

atr
11-30-2015, 11:36 AM
I say its high by $100