PDA

View Full Version : .454 sized cast lead in .45 ACP

remshooter
11-28-2015, 05:27 PM
.454 sized cast lead in .45 ACP

any problems using 230 gr cast lead bullets sized .454 in a colt 1911? reason i used some lead sized .452 ,i get a lot of leading at the breech end ,have done the plunk test with dummy rounds with bullets sized .454 ,it passed ,then reassembled gun and pulled slid back and chambered two of the rounds from the mag , no problem ,have just loaded up 50 rounds ,but dont know when i will get a chance to try them...my alloy is wheel weights and 2% tin ,use same in9-mm no leading

Deep Six
11-28-2015, 09:14 PM
If it chambers you may as well give it a try. 2 thousanths big isn't going to cause a pressure excursion but I wouldn't start with max loads either.

On the other hand I suspect your leading issue is not being caused by the .452 boolit. Probably has more to do with lube or alloy. I've never been able to completely eliminate leading in my bottom feeders either. I suspect it has to do with the abrupt start of the rifling as opposed to the tapered transition of a forcing cone in a revolver.

BattleRife
11-30-2015, 12:13 AM
I have a Colt 1911 that has a replacement barrel of unknown manufacture in it. It leaded with every cast bullet I tried in it, until I had Accurate Molds make me a 230gr RN with a .455" diameter. I size it to .454" and it shoots like a dream. Going by memory, I believe it is the Accurate 45-230B design.

mtgrs737
11-30-2015, 12:30 PM
I found in my Colt 45 auto that going from .452" diameter to .453" diameter bullet lead bullets left a lot of lead fouling in the area of the barrel just ahead of the chamber (throat). So I went back to the .452" sizing die and the leading was gone. Another area you might have a look at is the throat, some barrels need their throat reamed to lengthen the lead angle of the rifling. If your chamber is able to accept a cartridge with a .455" bullet then maybe it is safe to shoot them, depending on the size of the throat. Good luck and follow up with your results please.