PDA

View Full Version : Blooded the .303 Pygmy.

JeffinNZ
04-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Just got back from the annual wallaby hunt. I successfully took 5 wallabies with my .303 Pygmy wildcat using the CBE 316 175 bullet in oven heat treated clip on WW over 25gr of Benchmark for just shy of 2000fps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Roo%20trip%2008/Pymgy1stroo2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Roo%20trip%2008/Pygmy1stroo5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Roo%20trip%2008/Hutearlymorning.jpg
Made a couple of really pleasing off hand 100m shots downing the "wobblies" rather well. Great times!!

Lead melter
04-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Just wondering two things...what do you do with those critters once you shoot them, and do you HAVE to wear purple drawers to hunt those rascals?

TCLouis
04-14-2008, 10:03 AM
if so that is some country to do some serious hill climbing in. I like the work you have done on the rifle, one of the best treatments I have seen done on that action.

Bereft of cover the stalking looks more like an issue of moving slow enough to not be noticed, rather than hiding.

For those of us here in the US, what is the 303 Pygmy?

scrapcan
04-14-2008, 10:14 AM
TCLouis,

Do a search for 303 pygmy. Jeff had a good thread on what the round is and how he intended to make and use it.

JeffinNZ
04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Just wondering two things...what do you do with those critters once you shoot them, and do you HAVE to wear purple drawers to hunt those rascals?

Ah, the purple long johns. I dare to be different.

I wear polyprop almost exclusively on the hill as it wicks away the dew/sweat well and my long johns just happen to be purple. Don't think the game cares though I do get heckled by my hunting buddies.

Wallabies are pests here so our shooting is pure pest control. We leave them for scavengers. I skin the odd one and tan the hide. Make the odd round ball pouch for MLer shooters from the scrotums too. TRUE!

Junior1942
04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
If you ever happen to visit San Francisco you'd better leave those purple drawers at home. :lol:

RugerFan
04-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Very nice! Beautiful country you have there.

JeffinNZ
04-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Best part was I had a pleasure of 'guiding' a new friend from Anchorage!!!! He thought hunting those big mice with his .54cal MLer was a hoot. :drinks: The wallabies did not.[smilie=1:

dk17hmr
04-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Looks like fun to me.

Those little critters just run around the hills?

They run in packs, or singles?

JeffinNZ
04-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Looks like fun to me.

Those little critters just run around the hills?

They run in packs, or singles?

You've got no idea how they can run. When they hit top speed all you see (if you are lucky) is the south end heading north.

They can be in groups or on their own.

Red River Rick
04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Jeff:

That cartridge has caught my attention. Just curious, would setting the barrel back and recutting the chamber be more or less all that's required (extractor groove, etc)? Or have you used a new blank?

I have 3 MK IV's, and a few spare barrels. Just wondering, maybe I'd like to convert one of mine as well. I'm thinking it would would make a great round for whitetails.

I can see why your freind from Anchorage thought they looked like "GIANT" mice, because they do. Neat looking, bet you they can run like the wind too. I'd have great fun Wackin them critters, my choice of gun would be my 22-250 Rem (early M 788), pushing a 50 gr HP "J" bullet at about 3900 fps.

RRR

6pt-sika
04-16-2008, 01:55 AM
New Zealand has been a dream of mine for quite a few years now !

I'd love to hit the North Island for the BIG Sika Stags !!!!!

:drinks:

And wacking one with your 303 Pygmy would be alright as well !

Matter of fact I just GAVE away a Savage made SMLE !

NoDakJak
04-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Jeff- I hadn't heard of your 303 Pygmy previously but it looks somewhat similar to a 7.62xR.
I can make them by simply running a 303 or 30-4- case into standard dies. I plsn on building one on a Martini. Also have a Dutch Mannlicher that may be rebarreded for the round, along with a modified five round conversion magazine that is made for the SKS. I certainly like the looks of your SMLE. Neil

NoDakJak
04-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Whoops!! I just read my post. That is supposed to be a 7.62x39R. Neil

JeffinNZ
04-16-2008, 03:42 AM
RRR & NDJ: You could lop a few threads off of a regular .303 barrel and then run the reamers into the remaining chamber to form the Pygmy chamber real easy. As I say, I have the homemade reamers and would be happy to post them up to you guys to use gratis. Let's spread the Pygmy word.

Here are the links to my other threads.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=16350&highlight=.303+Pygmy
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18330&highlight=.303+Pygmy

Four Fingers of Death
04-17-2008, 09:28 AM
A lot of hunters wear shorts with thermal long johns here and in NZ (especially in NZ). They keep you warm and when you are crossin gcreeks a lot, they dry off quicker and keep you warm while they do it. I amuse my friends, I wear short trousers (just called shorts here, but you call underpants/underdaks/Y fronts/Jocks shorts) in winter and long trousers in summer as I get sunburnt.

JeffinNZ
04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you Mick.

And to the rest of you, any more wise cracks about my long johns and NONE of you come hunting roos with me. :twisted:

Bigjohn
04-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Thank you Mick.

And to the rest of you, any more wise cracks about my long johns and NONE of you come hunting roos with me. :twisted:

I didn't say anything about your 'Long Johns'. [smilie=1:

I have a Martini action with extractors for .303" British, all I need now is a barrel, fitted and chambered.

And maybe a couple of lumps of wood for the stock.

John.

bruce drake
04-21-2008, 01:38 AM
It wasn't the Long Johns that was the subject of my chuckles. It was the color of them. WOW!

Four Fingers of Death
04-21-2008, 03:18 AM
That's what I meant to ask, what's the sight? A lyman? It doesn't look crude enough to be a Field.

JeffinNZ
04-21-2008, 04:47 AM
PH5A on the back an a bead on a ramp up front. I took the Hadley discs out of the PH5A and shot a 'ghost ring' much of the time other than a couple of longer, deliberate shots.

carpetman
04-22-2008, 12:08 AM
4fingerMick---Us guys that blister shouldn't wear shorts. Days past a tan was considered healthy. Now it's learned that fair skinned types are susceptible to skin cancers from being in the sun. I have had to have two removed and been told to stay out of the sun. I do wear Tilley hats( www.tilley.com), now and sunglasses. One source of literature said squamos(sp) cell cancer is more apt to occur in people with blue,green,hazel eyes. Only color omitted was brown. So guess I'll get some brown contacts and wont have to worry about it.

carpetman
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I went wallaby hunting today. Hunted hard. Looked high and low and didn't see any. Then I realized I don't have any purple long johns. Couldnt find any in the stores either. Jeff can you really buy them that way or do you have to dye your own?

MT Gianni
04-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Ray, you can't look in the wool supply section of the local farm supply store. You have to go with polyesther for these. Sorry, I know your fondness for sheep products. Gianni

JeffinNZ
04-23-2008, 05:54 AM
I went wallaby hunting today. Hunted hard. Looked high and low and didn't see any. Then I realized I don't have any purple long johns. Couldnt find any in the stores either. Jeff can you really buy them that way or do you have to dye your own?

THAT'S IT. YOU'RE OFF THE "JEFF'S UP COUNTRY ROO SHOOTIN" INVITATION LIST!

WHO'S NEXT!!!??? COME ON! WHAT ARE YA? CHICKEN?

carpetman
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Darn Jeff---I hate to be off the invitation list,but you could atleast have answered my question before the boot. Do you dye your own? I did do a google search for purple long johns but they were all the womens variety.

Scrounger
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
You scoundrel, you know how many sheep there are in New Zealand. You're incorrigible.
Jeff, don't get him started on chickens, I'll never be able to eat another one.

JeffinNZ
04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Nope, don't dye my own. You can buy any colour (not color) you want down here. We are all very secure in our sexuality.

carpetman
04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Jeff---You are lucky you can get any color you want---here in Texas Ive never seen any with Dallas Cowboys logo. Urrr uhhh---why did you want purple?

Bigjohn
04-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Jeff, I'd leave carpetman on your list.
If he came over for a shoot one of the local farmers would probably shoot him because he was 'worrying' his sheep.

If you weren't that lucky; he could get lost in the mountains. It might start a new myth of a 'wildman of the bush'.

John