PDA

View Full Version : Stop ring bullet sizer

buggybuilder
11-28-2015, 12:12 PM
I have a 8.15 x 46R bullet mold. I also have a .32-40 rifle. I in the past resized the cast bullet to rid myself of the stop-ring. This is very hard on the sizing die.....but when I shoot, this bullet it is excellent. When I resize, the stop-ring on the bullet does smear into the upper lube groove, but it still shoots very well. Would it be to any advantage to run each bullet thru several different size sizing dies to eliminate this groove? I know .015 is a lot to remove. The stop-ring on the 197 gr. bullet measures .335 so I need to size to .320. So I only need to remove the stop-ring. I would really like to use this mold if possible. Any suggestions?

country gent
11-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Possibly several steps of .003 each or so would help stop some of the smearing for you. Or possibly a Lee type sizer with more lead into the sizer. .015 over 1 1/2"- 2" length might be more gradual to allow easier working and slow smearing. Also lubing bullet before sizing with a swaging lube such as lanolin castor oil mix or even a very light coat of imperial sizing die wax might help.

HeavyMetal
11-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Reducing the diameter of a boolit can be very hard on a sizing die, and the lube sizer itself, particularly if removing a large portion of the boolit diameter.

When I've had to do this I have run it through two or even three dies to reduce the stress on the lube sizer.

In this post I have seen very little in the way of equipment description so can only guess at what your working with and have no idea what a "stop ring" is!

I'd strongly suggest taking "small bites" out of the boolit diameter or better yet contact one of the mold makers on this site and see if you can have the boolit copied in a mold that is the right diameter needed for your 32-40.

My thought here is two or three sizing dies could cost as much or more than a good Two cavity mold in the right size.

Perhaps a drawing or better description can provide the readers with a better idea of what the OP is trying to accomplish.

buggybuilder
11-28-2015, 12:58 PM
A stop-ring bullet is a Schuten bullet. You prime your case, charge your case, and when you get to the range and are ready to shoot...you simply put the bullet in the case by hand. The ring on the cast bullet stops it from going in too far.

Also, how hard is it to open up a Lee sizer a thousands or two?