PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a 40 cal.

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 11:34 AM
After messing with it a bit and really trying to like it, have decided I just do not like the glock. Had a full size G22, but felt to big, so ended up with a g23, have an extra barrel in 357. I had been anti 'plastic' guns for a long time. But am open minded. First glock was for the frame to run an mechtech, joked with a friend their like coat hangers, next thing theres 2 then 3. Its the grip that does it for me. Its just different than everything else. Oh my friend loves them, but only has glock. I have been shooting the same 1911 and Browning HP for 30 yrs. Plus various revolvers. Have a S&W shield, love it, and a bodyguard 380, so its not the plastic aspect of it. Its that grip, I tried an add on beavertail, it helps, but then the grip is overly large, another thing I do not like about the glocks. So its either bob the back of the grip on the glock a one way trip, or get rid of it.

So in the market for a 40 cal. I am open minded, not going to poo poo one brand over another, because of the name. I do not have a prejudice as some do. Asked my friend since he works in a gun shop, but unless its a glock then hes not really interested. He had a S&W M&P compact in the case, I liked it, I like the grip and the ambi slide lock is nice, but not a deal breaker. I do not know how the full size M&P compares to the full size glock, the glock just seemed overly big to me. So have been leaning towards a compact model. Shop near me can order the S&W no problem, but also has some Springfield XD, not heard anything bad about them, just the usual brand prejudice people have. It wasn't bad, bit weird you can't rack the slide without the grip safety depressed, not a deal killer, but odd to me. But the regular XD can't change the grip panels you can on the S&W. Told the new Walther is pretty good. Place near me also has several of the S&W SD pistols, I have never owned or fired the original sigma, to know how they are. A budget gun that works, but no real aftermarket parts.

One thing I liked about the S&W M&P was I can get barrels easy, could run either 40 or 357 in it that way. Or would have to go buy another handgun in one or the other.

dkf
11-28-2015, 11:50 AM
The Glock grip is not for everyone. An option is to send the frame off to have a grip reduction done. This will reduce the grip size, trim off the hump and whatever other mods you want done. Some pictures on this site of what I am talking about. http://www.coldborecustom.com/

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't send it off but do it myself. Just not sure if I want to take such a drastic measure, or just buy something I like better. Its funny to go poking around on the internet and read the comments. Plenty of people nearly get mad at anything other than a glock. I have tried to like it, its just meh.

lancem
11-28-2015, 01:32 PM
I really like my Walter PPS in .40. Don't know about barrel availability but I have found it to be an accurate and reliable piece.

dkf
11-28-2015, 01:42 PM
I like Glocks and have several of them but there are a LOT of good pistols out there. One does not fit all. The M&P pistols are pretty popular though I read of problems PDs have had with them, primarily the .357sig versions.(maybe they have that ironed out by now) The full size M&P is pretty close to the same size as a G22 and has the same magazine capacity. The M&P compact is closer to the G27, at least to me it is. The aftermarket Apex triggers for the M&P pistols are very nice, better than a factory Glock trigger by a good margin. The XDMs are good pistols but the grip safety isn't for me a lot of guys love them and the XDM are nice than the old XD models IMO. Another pistol that has gained in popularity is the CZ P-07 but I don't know if there are .357sig barrels available for it. I'd like to pick up a Steyr M357 for my collection in the near future. It is an odd looking gun but looks like it would fit my hand good.

DerekP Houston
11-28-2015, 01:51 PM
I grabbed a m&p 40 police trade in off budsgunshop for cheap. Liked it so much I bought another for my dad. They were around 300 used, mine came brand new in box just had a name written on the side.

Artful
11-28-2015, 04:38 PM
I'd keep an eye out for a Browning HP40 Hi-Power chambered in 40 S&W if that's what fits you and you like 'em.

You can get a number of guns other than glock in 40 S&W - S&W, SIG, etc.
But it has to FIT you hand, and ONLY you can say if it does.

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 05:14 PM
I would love another high power, but they are not usually cheap. The one I have bought it new for $325, in 1989, a copy. But has always been a very good gun, unjamable, and I have fed it some pretty nasty ammo.

I waited until the old guy running the place was there, traded me for a FNS40.

JHeath
11-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Uh well it's not cheap either, but . . . you reload . . . and Sig introduced the P220 in 10mm. So you could load it down, or up either way. Think of it as having both a Sig .40 and a Sig 10mm, and that you paid $500 for each, which is a pretty good deal when you think about it.

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 06:40 PM
I haven't decided what to do about the 357 sig issue. Not a huge deal, not like the bullets wont work in a 9mm. I had a few boxes I had loaded, vs having over 1000 40cal. No luck on a 357 barrel for the FNS, odd as the mags are marked 40/357. But can always find a pistol in it at a later date.

BigAl52
11-28-2015, 07:30 PM
I feel the same way about these plastic guns as you do. I don't like the Glocks have tried them and the Springfields. Springfield sits to high in my hand for me to like. I like Sigs but I just don't shoot them well. I decided to try a CZ 75B and bought one in 9mm matte stainless. BINGO I love it shoots where I like to hold and is very accurate. I know this isn't a 40 like you mentioned but they do make one in a 40. You might take a look at it. I know if I was going to buy a 40 I would be all over it. Al

Deep Six
11-28-2015, 08:25 PM
I think you'll like the FNS. I picked up an FNX-45 a couple years ago. While not cheap at $700, it has quickly become apparent that I got a bargain for my money. It's the pinnacle of modern 45s and worth every penny. For some reason the FN handguns are overlooked by a lot of buyers. They're missing out!

petroid
11-28-2015, 08:47 PM
I decided to try a CZ 75B and bought one in 9mm matte stainless. BINGO I love it shoots where I like to hold and is very accurate. I know this isn't a 40 like you mentioned but they do make one in a 40. You might take a look at it. I know if I was going to buy a 40 I would be all over it. Al

I have EAA Witness in 9mm and 40. They are CZ75 clones and shoot great and are cheap but are full size. Got them from CDNN. Local farm store was selling the turkish compact clones for 250. Should have bought one.

dkf
11-28-2015, 11:00 PM
I haven't decided what to do about the 357 sig issue. Not a huge deal, not like the bullets wont work in a 9mm. I had a few boxes I had loaded, vs having over 1000 40cal. No luck on a 357 barrel for the FNS, odd as the mags are marked 40/357. But can always find a pistol in it at a later date.

Looks like EFK offers a .357sig barrel but it is on backorder. http://www.efkfiredragon.com/fnp-and-five-seven.html

waltherboy4040
11-28-2015, 11:10 PM
Try a walther ppq with European mag release (full size)

TXGunNut
11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Glocks are excellent handguns, they just aren't for everybody. If the situation calls for it I can manipulate a Glock better than most but I prefer my 1911's and other guns. The redeeming quality of the Glock is that most folks can be easily trained to shoot it with an acceptable level of proficiency. Some folks can shoot a Glock to an exceptional level of proficiency, I'm not one of them. I use what works for me and have confidence in the guns I carry and train with. Not a big 40 fan either but I'm well aware of it's accomplishments and capabilities.
Old school isn't all bad. Stick with what you know but keep abreast of the new stuff as well.

Tackleberry41
11-29-2015, 12:01 AM
So far I am pretty impressed with it. Guess I like it as it feels the same in the hand as my browning HP. A little more beavertail which is nice, and all the ambi controls, so no changing anything around. Usually I get a pistol, and its okay what am I going to do to it. Already has a metal guide rod. Good metal sights, vs many which are plastic. Generally on a production gun you have to deal with the grit in the trigger. But the internals are well done. It really is a nice gun. Would be tempted to get another one, same shop had one of the I guess its FMX has a hammer.

blueeyephil
11-29-2015, 01:10 AM
No one can really tell you what is right for you. I have S&W M&P pro and a M&P compact in 40 and I like them. I have an APEX trigger in the pro but not the compact. I don't have conversion barrels for them. But I have a SIG P226 that I have both barrels for. I like that one too, but have a 9mm conversion slide/barrel on it and shoot 9mm recently in it.

I've heard good things about the Walther and SIG has the P320 series out now. They are supposed to be pretty nice.

If you can get to a range that has rental guns, spend the money and try your short list. Most brands are good, even some lesser known brands. You just lose some value on trade value on them and they are slower to be able to trade.

If you decide you like a S&W M&P, you can find a pretty good deal on a LE trade in like someone above said.

Deep Six
11-29-2015, 10:03 AM
I think it's funny that there's been 5 posts recommending this or that since your post stating that you got the FNS. Just goes to show that people don't read past the original post.

rond
11-29-2015, 10:12 AM
I carry a Bersa Thunder 40 and have had no problems with it. I've shot 100s of 155 SWCs with this gun. I also had the 9mm but my BIL talked me out of it.

Mr Peabody
11-29-2015, 10:48 AM
You could watch GB for a CZ-40B. Mine shoots cast and factory ammo great. The magazines for the 75B fit it. They go for $500 in new shape. Holsters are tough to find though. The CZ-75B shoots cast too and it's still in production.

Tackleberry41
11-29-2015, 10:50 AM
I am not sure about the US made SIGs. I had one of the 250s, I had read the reviews. Yea it had a really nice double action trigger. But it had reliability issues. No rhyme or reason, didn't matter the ammo, it would go thru a mag like normal, then next mag one fail to completely extract, just leave it there to jam the gun. Try another ammo, go thru a mag, maybe 2 then jam again. Got rid of it, I would imagine the 320 series is just a striker fired 250. But is the most inexpensive option for 357 sig. Sig was a little odd with that one, it was not just drop a barrel in, no you had to have the whole top end, which worked out to just a little cheaper than buying another pistol.

Have time to shop around, Christmas is coming, my gun budget is blown for a while, still have a rifle on layaway. Maybe luck into another deal, thats how I got my first 357, was someone who bought it and got rid of it pretty quick, but buying ammo is not cheap, pretty cheap to load it. Or dig around for a FNS 357 barrel, like I said its odd the mag says 40/357, but the company does not offer a pistol, maybe the mag fits something else.

Tackleberry41
11-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Was looking at 357 pistols, what comes up on google. Did not know SIG has another model of their US made polymer guns, the SP2022 which is SA/DA, vs the DAO only of the 250. Don't guess anyone has fired one?

dragon813gt
11-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Try a walther ppq with European mag release (full size)

That would be the PPQ M1 which is no longer in production. They caved to the American market that grew up on 1911s. They moved the mag release to the "typical" position on the M2s which is a lot less ergonomic. It's a shame because the paddle release on the trigger guard is a lot quicker and ergonomic to use.

DerekP Houston
11-29-2015, 12:04 PM
That would be the PPQ M1 which is no longer in production. They caved to the American market that grew up on 1911s. They moved the mag release to the "typical" position on the M2s which is a lot less ergonomic. It's a shame because the paddle release on the trigger guard is a lot quicker and ergonomic to use.

Aww that's a shame, I love the trigger release on my 9mm version.

Cowpoke
11-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Gallery of Guns has the Walther PPK on sale right now. Mine was $327.00 out the door, through GOG.

Groo
11-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Groo here
Find a police trade in in 40 Glock/m&p/XD or any 40 pistol you can get a 357sig barrel for[ a sig 239 or double stack if you can find it]
New springs, tune it up , good to go.
I have shot 357sig and it is MUCH better than a forty for most uses.[ I like 10mm too}
Just be sure you get a 9mm or 40 barrel for the range and use the 357 for the field. [like 38 and 357]some seem to forget this and want to shoot the
$$$ stuff all the time.
This "train with what you carry" is silly, you train with 22's, you train with "target loads" most who shoot magnums
have a reduced load for "plinking"
So why not train with a 9mm or 40 cheep stuff and finish up with and carry full power 357sig ?????????????

Tackleberry41
11-29-2015, 05:59 PM
I can easily buy an M&P in 357 sig, no need for a barrel in 40. Wasn't impressed with the XD. I am looking also at maybe reaming a 9mm barrel to 357 to use in what I have. Maybe even go look at the other FN they had in the case, the X model with exposed hammer. Have several other projects that need money and time, so will do some research, look around. Don't need the 357 today. I have a big bag of brass, and 3 boxes of loaded stuff. Where I had close to 1500 40 cal loaded. Don't think I even have any factory 40.

That was one thing I like about the FNS is no poly rifling to deal with or overly exposed case at the feed ramp. A down side is there is pretty much nothing aftermarket for the FN pistols. Full size M&P you can get barrels and wolff springs, triggers, etc. Only place selling a 357 sig barrel for the FN, is $160. Where a whole M&P pistol out the door is $540.

Deep Six
11-29-2015, 07:14 PM
That same place has a 400 corbon barrel for the FNX-45. That has my interest....

waltherboy4040
11-29-2015, 07:39 PM

They are bringing it back, but in limited quantitys is what I've heard so far.

Mytmousemalibu
11-30-2015, 06:06 AM
For what its worth I have a number of M&P's from a Bodyguard 380 to 9L Performance Center. I carry a 9C every day and I honestly love the gun. It fits me and I shoot it good. I did put an Apex trigger in it & the 9L. The 9C also sports XS Big Dot sights and I put a nice aluminum engraved slide panel on it. I like carrying the added firepower. I wouldn't mind trying a .357 Sig or .400 Corbon. Bought dad a Shield 9mm. I do have a collection of M&P's but only because I like the fit, feel, and reputation for being good guns. I'm not biased, I would be much warmer to Glocks if the grip angle was less. The XD's seem like nice guns too but a little more quirky to me and chunky in size and glocks are a bit too. I might have gone with an XD had it not had the grip safety, that I can do without. I love the CZ-75 platform and I plan on adding a few to my safe. I really want a 10mm!

Tackleberry41
11-30-2015, 08:46 AM
I have never owned a CZ-75, remember someone having one, a very nice pistol. Guess one could be gotten in 40S&W, then a 9mm barrel bought and reamed for 357 sig.

dkf
11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I have never owned a CZ-75, remember someone having one, a very nice pistol. Guess one could be gotten in 40S&W, then a 9mm barrel bought and reamed for 357 sig.

CZ Custom made some in .357sig. http://czcustom.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vXjbXd5SY0

Tackleberry41
11-30-2015, 06:34 PM
I can get a 9mm conversion barrel for the FNS, so that problem is fixed, just rent a reamer.

Was debating about a 9mm. The same shop had a FNP9, guess an older model, not on the FN website. But its not ambi, only the safety/decocker was. But the FNX is just a DA/SA version of the striker fired gun. Mags barrels etc are the same. I had always wanted a DA browning, and one with a usable safety. One I have I bought new in 89, a copy, is one of my favorite guns. But if I could pay a couple bucks and get a more modern more lefty version of it, might do it. But those all metal CZ75 are pretty nice, doubt their ambi.

9.3X62AL
12-01-2015, 12:21 PM
There are a LOT of good 40 S&W pistols out there. My favorite is the CZ-75B, owing to its all-steel construction--its ergonomics (much like a Browning HP)--and its lead-friendliness (1-16" rifling twist rate). Most 40 S&Ws use a ridiculously fast 1-10" or 4 turns/meter (1-9.75") twist, for some reason.

I like the Glock system, too--ugly as a mud fence, but they work VERY WELL.

warboar_21
12-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Have a look at the SIG P229. It's about the size of a glock 23. Barrels are 180 for the 357 Sig round.
I have a P229 in 357 Sig and it's an accurate smooth running pistol.

Tackleberry41
12-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Already went and got a 40cal. Barrel for the FNS was $180, they only had the ported ones in stock. If I get anything it would be FNX9 to replace my browning HP.

MT Gianni
12-01-2015, 07:57 PM
I have a S&W and a Kahr CW in 40 S&W and the accuracy of the little Kahr is amazing. It seems to small for my hand but it is controllable and handy.

Plate plinker
12-01-2015, 09:45 PM
My Kahr 9mm is also dead on. Always liked the CZ-75 too think most CZ guns are pretty good. Only problem I have with he Kahr is that LONNNNNNNG trigger pull very time. GLOCK trigger resets much sooner.

lee n. field
12-05-2015, 10:06 PM
So in the market for a 40 cal.

, but also has some Springfield XD, not heard anything bad about them, just the usual brand prejudice people have.

There's a lot of "brand prejudice" against the XD. Make that "unhinged loathing".

It wasn't bad, bit weird you can't rack the slide without the grip safety depressed, not a deal killer, but odd to me.

That is true of the original XD and the recent refresh of the design ("Mod 2!"). It is not true of the XDM or the XDS (single stack subcompact variant).

But the regular XD can't change the grip panels you can on the S&W.

None of them will let you change the "grip panels". The XDM and XDS do have swappable grip back straps.

I have 3. They work, but some people for whatever reason just don't like them.

S. Galbraith
12-06-2015, 10:21 AM
If you insist on a .40(I am NOT a fan of the caliber), then you should consider a S&W M&P40. It is the easiest to shoot .40 I have ever handled, and I have handled a lot of them. Buds Gun Shop has a lot of M&P40s as police trade-ins if you are interested.

DerekP Houston
12-06-2015, 10:28 AM
If you insist on a .40(I am NOT a fan of the caliber), then you should consider a S&W M&P40. It is the easiest to shoot .40 I have ever handled, and I have handled a lot of them. Buds Gun Shop has a lot of M&P40s as police trade-ins if you are interested.

He has already made a selection and purchased. I concur though I have the same m&p 40.

Tackleberry41
12-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I know some love the XD, see people recommend them all the time. Guess it comes down to most of us can only afford so many guns. And most of us only have use for so many. I didn't have a polymer anything for a long time. But I already had a 9mm I really liked, and a 45, both bought in the late 80s. So wasn't in a huge need for a new more modern one. Bought my first plastic gun, not for a pistol, but to use with a mechtech upper, the slide sat unfired for a while. Then a second glock to have a pistol, a good deal on a G31, so had 40 and 357. But other projects needed money, so sold them off, ended up with the G23. I did try to like it, the glock is just 'alien' to everything else I own. It was difficult to transition back and forth, remember to adjust things with the glock so they wouldn't go over the target. Or shoot low with everything else. I got a S&W shield in 9mm a while back. Really like how it handles.

The XD, S&W, Glock etc are all pretty much the same price, and reliability, so its simply which you like better. I don't have any Springfield prejudice, can't remember ever owning anything stamped springfield. Just never came up is all. But given the FNS is ambidextrious vs nothing else being that way, wasn't a hard choice. Glock just seems so...German/Austrian. They tell you what you like, not the other way around. It took forever for Mercedes to put cup holders in their cars, I remember the flimsy screw on things we had at the dealer, their solution to the problem. US owners were perplexed the Germans seemed to refuse to build them in, its what customers wanted. Mercedes was a bit dismissive, what do customers know. Glock is the same way, most other companies are going with changeable grips so they can be customized, glock won't. Sort of like Apple, it took them how long to figure out hey people want a phone thats another color than white? Or how far was glock behind the curve on a single stack 9mm? How much sales did they lose out on dragging their feet? Their early solution was just to chop off sections of the brick and call it compact.

Seems to be the way things are, those who like glock, have glocks, not much else. And then theres everybody else who have other brands. Seldom see a mix of both. My friend hes a glock guy, might have hurt his feelings saying I didn't like mine and was looking to get rid of it. He might have bought it had it not been 40, he hates 40. Hard to ask him about other guns in the case at the place he works. 'Hows that one....meh, or that one....meh' their not glocks. Its hard to even get him to shoot anything else. Me I see something different or new, Ill ask, never know. Those Kanicks or whatever their called Century is selling look interesting, but no ambi controls. Im gonna shell out of a new gun, its going to be more lefty friendly.

Moonie
12-06-2015, 02:28 PM
I absolutely love the 6" 400 Cor-Bon barrel I have for my 1911. It is a blast to shoot.

Tackleberry41
12-06-2015, 07:32 PM
I looked into 400 corbon, but didn't really see any gain over anything else. Well not for the effort of brass, a barrel, dies, etc. The 40 super now looked like something. But I already have enough 'wierd' calibers as my friend is fond of saying. Run 45 super in a blackhawk conversion cyl.

gray wolf
12-08-2015, 04:23 PM
The Sig P320 needs a very long look

Sub compact--compact---carry--- or full size.

bstone5
12-08-2015, 04:43 PM
I have 2 SIG P320 in 40 Cal and also have the 357 SIG barrels.

Installed the adjustable sights from Midway to get better on point of impact and point of aim.

At 25 yards both guns shot low to the left with the factory sights.

My wife shoots one and I shoot the other.

With the adjustable sights these guns are very accurate.

We shoot the 40 Cal most of the time but a cast 125 grain in the 357 SIG shoots very well also.

I had Accurate molds, Tom, make a mold for me that fits my Master Caster to make the 357 SIG cast bullets.

Use Accurate #9 for loading the 357 SIG ammo, this is a compressed load and keeps the bullet from backing up in the cases.

A crimp die from Lee also keeps the bullets from backing up.

All of the cast lead bullets are powder coated with a home made gas check installed on the Magma Engineering bevel base cast lead bullets.

robertbank
12-08-2015, 04:54 PM
If you like steel then a CZ 75B would be an excellent choice. I have a Tanfoglio clone in 40cal and it is excellent as well. For polymer I have two M&P's. One in the PRO with a Apex FSS trigger and a FS and like them both. The CZ and the M&P have excellent examples chambered in 40cal. You can't go wrong with either.

Take Care

Bob

Tackleberry41
12-08-2015, 06:14 PM
I like steel, but if I was going to get rid of my old browning HP copy, it would be for something more lefty friendly like the FNX9. I do like the M&P series, already have a shield.

I am very leery of the US made SIGs. Had one of the 250s, what a clunker. Yea it had a really nice DA trigger, but $50 mags got old, and it just wasn't reliable. I had read up on it, but took it on trade for a guitar I could not seem to sell. It would work, then jam, no rhyme or reason to it. Might make it thru a whole mag, then just decide to FTE. Didn't matter if it was factory ammo, or reloads, had new mags, wasn't specific to a particular mag. Might go thru 2 mags, or half a mag, you just never knew. I won't own an unreliable gun. Certainly wouldn't have carried it for protection. As I understand the the 320 is a striker fired 250, so would not spend money on one, yea maybe they have worked out the bugs, but I wont take the risk. Plus they really screwed the pooch on the convertability, everybody else, you just drop a barrel in, SIG you gotta buy the whole top end. At the time I had mine, a top end was about $40 less than just buying another gun. Sold it off on armslist, for what I was trying to sell the guitar for. They make a P2022, but don't know much about it.

mozeppa
12-08-2015, 06:28 PM
here's a .40 single stack i had made for me.custom sights...trigger job...barrel job....everything to run speed competition.
on a 1911 frame.
with mag well ...over sized mag release button
skeleton-ized hammer & trigger.
wilson combat mags...tuned ready to shoot.
$2700

STI .40

tygar
12-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Are you looking for 40s to buy from members?

If so, I have some S&Ws in 40. I know I have at least 1 TSW & probably some others like 4006, 4016, etc, plus 1 or 2 Colt Officer. If I haven't already sold 1 then 1 would be for sale.

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2015, 08:09 AM
I really like my m&ps. Ive got a shield 40, a full sized 9mm and a midsize (compact) 45acp. The compact model is about the same size as a 23 glock with a slightly smaller diameter grip. A 40 compact would make a great gun
I carry a Bersa Thunder 40 and have had no problems with it. I've shot 100s of 155 SWCs with this gun. I also had the 9mm but my BIL talked me out of it.

Tackleberry41
12-09-2015, 08:54 AM
I would have a S&W compact 40 if the guy at the gun shop hadn't figured he really needed to screw me in the process. But not an issue as I got something better without laying out any cash. Now if the post office could get its act together I would have a 357 sig barrel for it.

I had a 1911 in 40, just never could get it to run. May have been because it was a 45 ACP frame, but it was a jam-o-matic. Converted it to 7.62x25, works fine. And frankly I think a $2700 1911 is a bit much. I have been shooting the same 1911 I bought in 1989 for $100. $2700 is 4 realistically priced pistols, plus magazines and accessories.

Bonz
12-09-2015, 09:28 AM
I love my 9mm Shield so I bought a 40cal Shield. Hated it, horrible trigger pull, heavy recoil, etc., so I sold it. Bought a Sig Sauer P239 40 cal. Absolutely love it except for the 3.5" barrel. I carry at 2 o'clock so the muzzle presses into my thigh but I'll keep it.

Bought a Sig Sauer Traditional Match Elite 1911 40 cal. Absolutely love it but with a 5" barrel and all Stainless, its too big/heavy for CC. But I will never sell it.

Decided to go for a smaller 40 for CC and decided on the Kahr MK40 Elite. Its all Stainless so its has enough weight to handle the recoil but the beaver tail absolutely hurts the top of my hand, between my thumb and finger sore and tears up the skin a bit. Haven't made up my mind yet but will probably keep it until I find a replacement 40 that has the 3" barrel for CC

Tackleberry41
12-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Place here has 2 of the small 40 cal Kahr in the case. I didn't look at them as not really in the market for yet another concealed gun. As it is now I get to chose what to carry. My 380 bodyguard, my Ruger SP101, or my 9mm shield. But its coat season in TN so a full size can be carried. I had liked the M&P compact in 40, but am much happier with the full size FNS40 I got, the full size glocks are so much bigger it feels like than everything else, might be the brick like slide.

The trigger in my shield sucked to, wasn't hard to fix, not a dime spent doing it. Its not a very accurate pistol, about what you expect I guess out of something with a barrel so short. It has good sights, but don't make much difference.

Fire_Medic
12-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I am very surprised no one has mentioned HK for a 40 caliber handgun, as in my humble opinion they make (and have always made) the best 40 caliber pistols, and the softest shooting that I have had the pleasure of sending 40 lead down range with.

The trade in P2000 pistols from border patrol and other agencies are excellent buys, as are the USP line in 40's. And don't get me started on the new VP40 pistols..... :mrgreen:

Enjoy the FN also great pistols!

TheDoctor
12-09-2015, 08:40 PM
EDC - XDm 40 with tritium sights. Sights are IMPORTANT in low light, worth the extra $! I like my 16+1. I really wish it was a 10mm though...

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2015, 07:19 AM
great guns but you about have to take a second mortgage out to buy one.
I am very surprised no one has mentioned HK for a 40 caliber handgun, as in my humble opinion they make (and have always made) the best 40 caliber pistols, and the softest shooting that I have had the pleasure of sending 40 lead down range with.

The trade in P2000 pistols from border patrol and other agencies are excellent buys, as are the USP line in 40's. And don't get me started on the new VP40 pistols..... :mrgreen:

Enjoy the FN also great pistols!

Tackleberry41
12-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Some friends of mine had HK before switching to glock. I wasn't very impressed, yea they were decent enough guns, but HK thinks their stuff is made of gold. And they just do not make stuff like they used to. One guys gun, just would not shoot straight. You had to have the nose of the gun up covering the target to hit it.

NavyVet1959
12-11-2015, 10:51 AM
The best .40 is a 10mm...

:)

I have a RIA M1911 in 10mm and I've been pretty impressed with its strength (after I mistakenly used Alliant Promo instead of Longshot during a test and the gun "disassembled" itself on me. Everything went back together and no damage despite Quickload saying that I had subjected it to something like 167K psi.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ria-10mm-ruptured-brass.jpg

Fire_Medic
12-11-2015, 11:51 AM
The best .40 is a 10mm...

:)

I have a RIA M1911 in 10mm and I've been pretty impressed with its strength (after I mistakenly used Alliant Promo instead of Longshot during a test and the gun "disassembled" itself on me. Everything went back together and no damage despite Quickload saying that I had subjected it to something like 167K psi.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/ria-10mm-ruptured-brass.jpg

RIA makes a 10MM?

Tackleberry41
12-11-2015, 02:27 PM
I was just not impressed with a 1911 in 40. It shot nice, but should as much as they weigh. Mags were not easy to find, and you only get one more than a 45. 40 sort of goes in a modern polymer gun with a double stack mag.

I have considered a 10mm at times, but as I was explaining to someone, they were asking why I was debating about buying a pistol. It was a woman so I asked how it went when she bought a dress 'oh'. Yea its not just the pistol, its the accessories. Magazines, reloading dies, brass, ammo etc. 40 cal, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 colt, 35/357, I already have ammo and load for. I bet 10mm is really nice in something w a longer barrel like a carbine.

S. Galbraith
12-11-2015, 03:09 PM
I've never as good of success with 9mm/.40/.357 actions in the 1911 as I have had with the .45/10mm/.38super longer actions.

Tackleberry41
12-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Thats what I read, the guns designed to run 40 or 9mm are a little different, shorter I guess. One I have was an old govt pistol, just the frame, so a 45 feed ramp. It just would not run 40, jammed alot. Wasn't anything consistent where you could nail it down to an issue. It would stove pipe, then jam the next one into the feed ramp. It got expensive tracking down mags, finally found it worked somewhat decent with the 45 mags I already had. I would think I had it fixed, then jam some more. Finally said screw it, not like I could run 45 in it w a 40/10mm slide. But found a 7.62x25 barrel for it, it really likes that, and you can run them a bit hotter in a 1911. I have a 24 lbs spring in mine and it still throws them a good ways.

I have been interested in the 40 super, but don't feel like laying out the cash to do it.

NavyVet1959
12-11-2015, 07:53 PM
RIA makes a 10MM?

Yep...

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-10mm/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411553499/Rock+Island+Armory+51991+TAC+1911+VZ+8%2B1+10mm+5% 22

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/lee-tl410-210-swc-resized-10mm-loaded-320w.jpg