PDA

View Full Version : A bit goofy during the rut!

Shuz
11-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Folks,.... there were 4 guys taking turns shooting at my range on Wednesday from 10 AM until 2PM. We shot mostly .444 Marlins, but a few rounds were popped with a Ruger Ranch Rifle in .223, a couplea .30-30's and several .44 mags.

During a lull in all that commotion, a young Whitetail buck wanders out on the range and goes up and sniffs the steel IHMSA turkey I have as a swinging "gonger" at 165 yds! He paid absolutely no mind to the 4 guys that had been making all that noise!

I guess he knew he was safe as our modern firearm season ended on Nov 19th!
He finally got bored with the turkey who paid him no attention, and wandered off.
Who teaches these critters how to read a calendar?

MUSTANG
11-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Had 9 deer playing around in the beaten zone for the 200 Yard line at the range last week in Kalispell Montana. They too ignore the shooting and impacts.

No deer around the Moapa Nv house, but every once in a while will see a desert big sheep horn or two in my favorite shooting area there.

missionary5155
11-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Greetings
Was out shooting crows in east ILLinois one morning. Had two black plastic "crows" out in a cut bean field about 15 yards to my front. Was calling off and on when out from the north side of the small field stepped a young buck. He walked straight to the "crows" stopped, stomped his foot, snorted then circled to the south side of the decoys. Stopped again, repeated the process. Every few seconds I would "caw" again on the call. It lasted several minutes. Finally he got fed up with the "crows" whom paid him no mind. Turned and exited the south end of the little field.
Mike in Peru

leadman
11-28-2015, 01:40 PM
We had to call a cease fire one day at Ben Avery, our public shooting range here in Phoenix. Probably 75 shooters or more when a small herd of mule deer grazed across the hill side behind the berm. A RSO had to encourage them to move on.

petroid
11-28-2015, 05:47 PM
At a public range I used to frequent, deer would come out of the woods to eat grass right by the parking lot and firing line

fastdadio
11-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Yup. Had a half dozen does grazing at the local trap field while the shooters shot right over the top of them. Not a care was given.

MT Gianni
11-29-2015, 08:46 PM
When I lived in Missoula the procedure was to chase the herd of Bighorn sheep off the range and watch for their return while we were shooting. I am convinced that Montana Elk know the regulations better than most hunters.

white eagle
11-30-2015, 09:20 AM
I shot a deer and immediately after it ran off another deer wandered in a followed the deer I had just shot

warboar_21
11-30-2015, 09:32 PM
We had deer and wild turkey that would frequent the ranges at Ft McClellan AL. When we were shooting the MK-19s we had a cease fire. Even with the grenade rounds impacting and the flashes it didn't seem to bother the dumb white tail deer. At the pistol range we had Wild Turkey wandering around as well.

They are nowhere to be found when hunting season is going on when I have a tag in my pocket though.

chutesnreloads
11-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Several times I've had to shoo turkeys away from in front my target.Not bothered in the least by the shooting.Once even had a few gobblers withing 10 yards of me while shooting.Gun would go off and they'd puff and fan and gobble.That was a couple weeks after turkey season ended