PDA

View Full Version : Some gunshops are not much different than a used car lot.

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 10:39 AM
We all know a few shops, the overpriced ones, the ones who were more than willing to gouge people on 22LR. Or the old saying 'you have it its junk, they have it its gold'.

Was over at a friends for the holiday, he works at a gunshop, telling me how cool his boss is. They were doing a black friday sale. Have decided I simply cant learn to like Glock. So was looking to get rid of my G23 for another 40cal. But something I can get a barrel for in 357 SIG. He tells have just what I want, a S&W M&P compact in 40, been there a while, so could make me a good deal. So sure I'll swing by. I know not all shops are this way, where the only fair deal is where they have screwed you over. It was a chance to get rid of a gun they can't move for one they can move easy. Many love glocks, I have tried just can't. The S&W has the ambi slide release, fits the hand good. And the 2 guns are pretty much the same price. Wasn't like it was just a used G23 traded for a new gun. I still have the box and everything that came with it, 3 extra mags, a conversion barrel to 357. Full length guide rod, spare springs, had put aftermarket trigger parts in it, but still had all the factory stuff. A paddle holster and mag carrier. None going to do me any good I get rid of my only glock. Oh he explained he has to make money, I never ask for anything but a fair deal. Not one who stands there and beats them up for extras. He went thru the spiel about his cost blah blah blah, as if I have no idea how a business works. And would guess if the 2 pistols retail for the same price, the dealer price is going to be really close. The exact same holster may be $40 over on his wall, but out of the package is only $5. Didn't matter about it had all the extra parts people generally go buy, and NOBODY will want the extra caliber.

So being a black friday sale, plus best friend of his employee. He would do me a favor of taking my gun and all the extra stuff, all I needed was another $120, and I got the other pistol with...well the way it comes from the supplier. His price on the M&P was $552 before taxes and transfer, stopped at my LGS last night, where Im just a shmuck off the street, no sale going on. Same pistol, $540 out the door. And will very likely trade me.

Some may say I was expecting to much. But the same shop had a used SIG556 on the wall. Looked like a cool rifle $1200. Well only thing I have is my HK33 I could trade, not like I need another 5.56 semi auto. Its not a century built gun, but MKE under license by H&K since HK doesn't even make them anymore. So a factory built rifle. Only imported for 2 yrs, so not exactly alot of them running around. Those who keep up would know they are not easy to find and are not cheap. Plus I have a pile of magazines, again not cheap, the factory ones are close to $100 ea. Well hes gotta make money, so my $1400 rifle, plus $300 in mags, $500 cash and I could have his $1200 rifle. He acted like he could only realistically put that HK in the rack for $1000, what the book said, the mags had no value.

I wonder if part of it is simple prejudice, not skin color. But there are some who only like certain things, anything else is not worth having. He asked what the knob up by the front sight was..um the cocking handle, so extensive knowledge of the rifle. They sell lots of AR-15s, some in the rack, parts, plus assemble custom ones. Yea a pmag for an AR is $10 so not much of a deal breaker, for a HK33 their a big deal. Him and my friend are all things AR, very traditional, he owns glocks, thats it. A Rem 700 as what else you gonna buy? Hes also the same friend who pretty much refuses to use cast bullets in anything. Had his boss not been there probably would have traded me the pistol.

mold maker
11-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Pretty much sums up most of the shops round here. They say business is slow. Wonder why?
OTOH A shop across the river has a big parking lot and folks carrying purchases all day long. Much better prices and NO
BS.
Just goes to show, you don't always get what ya pay for, but you do pay for what ya get.

fatnhappy
11-28-2015, 11:14 AM
caveat emptor

WILCO
11-28-2015, 11:34 AM
I always vote with my wallet.

DerekP Houston
11-28-2015, 11:44 AM
sad to say, this is why most of my collection has come from online purchases. I tried the gun show route and lgs/pawn shops. For the price they asked and the run around/dismissive attitude towards certain brands I just ignored em. I use the local ranges at the stores, they are great, but I'm not going to pay 100-200 markup on another gun. Even with shipping and ffl transfer I come out ahead. Some places here are selling used guns for ~10-20 under brand new online...

Buck Neck It
11-28-2015, 12:58 PM
I used to buy my guns from "Leroy", but I see that he just got busted in Colorado Springs...

popper
11-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Pretty much like used car lots, waiting for a sucker to come by.

Love Life
11-28-2015, 01:11 PM
That's why I usually sell private party.

lancem
11-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Pretty much why I quit trading in guns a while ago. Easier to sell it outright and then use the cash to buy what I want. Then again it seemed that too many times I had seller's remorse and now just keep adding to the collection instead of changing it around anymore. :)

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Its an odd thing, known the guy I guess 14 yrs, have yet to buy or a gun from him or thru him. Hes been working at gunshops for the last several years. Talks alot, but have yet to get more than the most basic accessory thru him. Usually having a friend in a gun shop is a good way to get deals. I do know how a gun shop operates, place near me is always selling guns, but has great prices, he goes with volume. Other places figure they have to squeeze every penny out of you. Theres another place here, I go to occasionally, never bought anything but reloading stuff or archery stuff from them. Overpriced on guns, and very snobby about what they do sell. They don't have it its junk.

Not sure on his boss, says hes a good guy, but didn't feel that way. Would have thought 'hey your Johns friend the one who does all the crazy reloading and builds guns, maybe some projects we can help each other out with'. But it was more of just another jerk I need to screw over. May be some political drama going on, their both very very conservative, me and my friend do not see eye to eye on some things. Its not a big deal to me, everybody is entitled to their opinion on things, not so much with him. I noticed he has CNN and the other 'liberal media' blocked out on his TV. And I do think part of it is gun snobbery. People can be that way. Their both very big fans of the AR15, what else would you possibly own, he always says I have 'weird' guns.

375supermag
11-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Pretty much why I quit trading in guns a while ago. Easier to sell it outright and then use the cash to buy what I want. Then again it seemed that too many times I had seller's remorse and now just keep adding to the collection instead of changing it around anymore. :)

Never was much into trading guns...

Like this poster...I just keep adding to the collection.

I bought a new S&W M&P 40 earlier this year ...something new, first polymer gun, first .40S&W, etc. I am pretty much a SA/DA revolver, 1911 .45ACP kinda guy, but thought I can try out this innovative 21st century stuff and then trade it on something SA revolver style after I satisfy my curiosity.

Yeah...that worked out great. I now am quite impressed with the M&P to the point where I am considering using it a a carry piece. It is accurate and recoil is very manageable and the cartridge has adequate power for self-defense needs. It isn't going anywhere. In fact a couple of drop-in barrels (9mm and 357Sig) are a distinct possibility, if I don't just buy another M&P in one or both of those calibers.

My little experiment with polymer handguns just pushed back my plan for a matched set of Uberti .45Colt Cattleman revolvers for at least a year.

bedbugbilly
11-28-2015, 02:00 PM
That's pretty much the same type of experience that I've had at different times with some gun shops. In AZ, I hit a few pawn shops and was amazed at no only their lack of knowledge but the whopping prices they had on some handguns and rifles and they wouldn't budge on price. Of course they've been sitting in the case or rack for two or more years and they complain about how poor business is. I have on gun shop here that I've done some trades with and they always seem to be fair about it. It makes a difference if both parties are satisfied instead of just one and the other party feeling like they got screwed. I made up my mind a long time ago to take my business elsewhere if the attitude is that they are doing me a favor . . whether it be gun trading or buying reloading supplies, etc. Those that gouged (and still do) on the ammo during the shortage can go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned. I was in business many years and I always treated my customers with fairness and sometimes plus that . . . that's what keeps them dedicated customers.

castalott
11-28-2015, 02:09 PM
I have an understanding with my FFL...I say "How much out the door?" He then knows I'm serious and gives me a good price without any hassles. I either take it or not.. usually say "yes". He likes the fact that I don't haggle with him at all. Saves him and me time.

I spent an afternoon there visiting with friends and observed a guy who was trying to beat him down another $25. It went on all afternoon.. like the depth charging of a WW2 submarine. At the end of the day "owner" had enough and recommended 2 other shops not far away.

Normally "owner' is friendly ,happy kind of guy but that day he was drained and nervous. I asked him if he liked the way we did things and the answer was "YES".

AK Caster
11-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Everyone has an opinion of what a fair trade in price would be. And everyone knows you always end up with more $$ if you sell out right then buy what you want.

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Im not one to haggle on price. Nor one to stand there and beat them up for accessories to make the deal more one sided. I know a guy who he is simply not happy until you are holding the smelly end of the stick. He will haggle forever to get just a little more out of you. Now if he has it of course, well your going to pay full retail plus a little extra. I learned long ago that we simply will not have any sort of dealing like that. You only get to stiff me so many times before I learn my lesson. But I am a fair man, if you have a tag on a gun and I think its a fair price, here's the money. I want a holster I will buy one, or an extra magazine, or a box of ammo.

I see people go into shops and think a partial box of rifle ammo somehow makes their gun worth more. Whats the shop going to do with it? Who knows if its factory or not? Whats somebody going to do with 14rds of some brand they don't sell anymore? I watched an older guy one day trading a gun at the place near me, he had a full box of ammo, but of 6 different brands of ammo 'that should be worth something'. No not really, its going in the trash can, no he figured it should add $20 to his trade as thats what it cost on the shelf.

Some gun shops just don't seem to understand that theres this thing called the internet. That they can jack up their prices and you won't have any choice but to buy it. And some shops will sit on a gun for a long time to get that price they wanted. I would think it would be better to make a little less to move it, then stock something you can sell easier. My friend told me the S&W had been there a while, just couldn't find a buyer, tho might have something to do with that extra $50 piled onto the price. Where the glocks fly out the door, so he moves a gun he can't move, and gets one he can. But still felt he had to make $120 cash off me, then again when he sold the trade in. He of course acted like 'well the holster is not worth anything, and Ill have to throw the parts in the trash, along with the barrel'. When we all know they would end up in somebody elses gun or one of his, the spare mags would be sold off.

He finally found a sucker to buy the mosin, I had looked at it before, maybe should have kept my mouth shut. I was looking for one, looked it over, told my friend this is probably a Finnish rifle. But it wasn't very pretty, big chunk of wood spliced in under the action in the stock. And the bore was junk, would tear up patches it was so rough. So its a parts gun. No its a Finnish rifle so he put it out for almost $300. Took a while but somebody paid him for it. My friend was asking if I was interested in an Enfield, meh..maybe. Not for $450.

Col Tom
11-28-2015, 03:44 PM
My LGS treats people right. I don't make a habit of selling my guns, but I took advantage of Ruger's LC9 trade-up offer to a LC9s ($100 gift certificate from Ruger after you've made your best trade-in deal). I first went to my LGS, told him what I wanted. The appraiser (not the owner) told me what the LC9 was worth to them (not much). I said I'd check with the big box store (almost an hour's drive away) since I was headed that way and asked the LGS to call if they could up my trade-in (he said he'd speak with the owner). The big box appraiser offered me $40 less on the trade than my LGS--so even though they had the LC9s on sale, I would lose more than I would accept. As I left the store, my LGS appraiser called. He said the owner wanted me as a regular customer, so he'd split the difference in the original offer. He also matched the big box sale price. It cost me $25 to "trade up" after the Ruger promotion. Other folks have similar stories. This LGS is owned by a retired Illinois state trooper. All his help is either retired law enforcement or retired military. They also run an indoor range (where I buy my range scrap for smelting lead to cast boolits). They're proponents of concealed carry and all-around good, decent folks. Guess I'll stay a regular.

P.S. Every time I walk in there now, the LGS counter guy/appraiser (a retired Marine) likes to tell me that they still have my "****" LC9 (it was like new-in-box) in the showcase and whether I'd like to buy it back for a good price. I tell him I wouldn't have an LC9, I have the LC9s, to which he counters: "That's the problem--no one wants an LC9 anymore!" I just smile and agree. ;)

MBTcustom
11-28-2015, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, **** rolls down hill. All the people the shop owner has to pay are interested in only one thing that that is money, an lots of it. Being in the gun business myself, I have had to come to grips with the fact that I can't go to the IRS with a really cool rifle to pay my taxes. Can't go to the gas or electricity company with a Glock and 5 magazines and keep the lights and heat on for another month. Can't pour 100 rounds of 45ACP out on the counter to buy half a tank of gas.
Money is what keeps the doors open. It doesn't matter how fair the trade is if you've got people breathing down your neck with their hands in your pockets looking for money, the guy trying to trade is just wasting time (no offence).
That's the problem. Business can't happen without cash flow, and cash is something that both the LGS and the gun owner/buyer are badly short on at the moment. It's tough to be in business to cater to people's leisure activities, when there's no money floating around for people to enjoy their down time with.
Just try selling the stuff you were hoping to trade him, and see how cutthroat the market is. You go in there with cash (whatever you could get for your used gun), and he'll deal. His job is to move guns, so if he just trades, he's doing nothing but treading water while the business fails.
Get on gunbroker and see what people are asking for their used stuff and ask yourself if it's worth it to you to pay their asking price. Nope. You'll crawl over gunbroker from top to bottom and buy the cheapest gun that matches what you're looking for, looks functional, and you'll feel like you got shafted when the deal is done, and so does the seller.
Gun shop owners do not have time to play those games.
Sucks, but there it is. I sure hope things will lighten up a bit one day.

FISH4BUGS
11-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Every potential buyer has the obligation to figure out what the object of his purchase is generally going for in the market. Pay attention to GB, all the on line sources, the gun shops on line, the gun magazines, other gun shops, and get a feel for what it is worth.
I went to a large gun shop in Kittery Maine and looked at a NICE S&W 1905 fourth change Hand Ejector M&P Target that they wanted $1295 for. It was a 98% gun with some small scratches on the side plate. I passed and asked nicely if they will keep that price. They said yes, because it just came in. I knew it wasn't worth that and because I know these guys, told them so...nicely of course.
A week later a 96% S&W M&P Fourth Change Hand Ejector Target was advertised as part of a large ad in Shotgun News by another dealer for $495. Sold!
You have to know what something is worth and what you are willing to pay for it. You may pay a bit of a premium for condition, accessories, options, etc. but you still have to know. If you are paying a premium, then you need to know how much of one. Not what the dealer says but what YOU say. You are the customer. You are driving the bus here, not the dealer.
Like Claudius was told by King Harrod just as he thrust the knife into Claudius' back.....trust no one.

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately, **** rolls down hill. All the people the shop owner has to pay are interested in only one thing that that is money, an lots of it. Being in the gun business myself, I have had to come to grips with the fact that I can't go to the IRS with a really cool rifle to pay my taxes. Can't go to the gas or electricity company with a Glock and 5 magazines and keep the lights and heat on for another month. Can't pour 100 rounds of 45ACP out on the counter to buy half a tank of gas.
Money is what keeps the doors open. It doesn't matter how fair the trade is if you've got people breathing down your neck with their hands in your pockets looking for money, the guy trying to trade is just wasting time (no offence).
That's the problem. Business can't happen without cash flow, and cash is something that both the LGS and the gun owner/buyer are badly short on at the moment. It's tough to be in business to cater to people's leisure activities, when there's no money floating around for people to enjoy their down time with.
Just try selling the stuff you were hoping to trade him, and see how cutthroat the market is. You go in there with cash (whatever you could get for your used gun), and he'll deal. His job is to move guns, so if he just trades, he's doing nothing but treading water while the business fails.
Get on gunbroker and see what people are asking for their used stuff and ask yourself if it's worth it to you to pay their asking price. Nope. You'll crawl over gunbroker from top to bottom and buy the cheapest gun that matches what you're looking for, looks functional, and you'll feel like you got shafted when the deal is done, and so does the seller.
Gun shop owners do not have time to play those games.
Sucks, but there it is. I sure hope things will lighten up a bit one day.

Yes we have all heard this time and time again, nobody else can possibly understand what its like. I really doubt its a whole lot different than any other business, the kind many of us have had or have now. You buy things, then sell them for a profit. But gun buyers are the business, no time for them? Its funny as you will go into a gun shop and theres several guys sitting there, talking not buying anything, plenty of time for them. We all understand cash flow, but most businesses seem to operate in some vacuum. Their cash flow, nobody else exists, they get mad when a distributor talks cash flow with them or the bank or anybody else. I have tried to explain to bosses in the past that I need cash to pay my bills, free work for customers may work out great for the dealership, but does not pay my bills. They just shrug their shoulders and as it was explained to me once 'thats just the way #@&* is, go somewhere else if you don't like it'.

Customers are the business. People who can easily buy guns off the internet or other places. So treating a customer right is what gets them coming back. Yea a place might make more on single sales and that guy never comes back after feeling a bit used. Or make a reasonable profit on something and people will come back. I saw someone on here saying CDNN had a sale on a rifle I was wanting, yea it was considerably cheaper. But that won't keep that shop near me open, so I paid a little more for one they had in the rack, cash flow. The place I go, has very fair prices, ones I do not haggle over, or spend time arguing over extras. And he has gotten lots of repeat business from me, he takes the time. I joked with him today, he still doesn't just keep copies of the paperwork already filled out for me. The deal that the gun shop Fri figured they had to screw me just a little extra, the one I turned down. Guess it really wasn't that unfair, LGS around the corner made a straight up trade on an actually more expensive gun than the S&W I was looking at. No haggling, no explaining how business works, or what I had was junk. He thought it was fair, so did I, both sides are happy. So that other shop lost out on that business plus future business, not very good for the cash flow.

trapper9260
11-28-2015, 05:56 PM
As for me I do not trade or sell any of my guns ,what ever that is. But I deal with a gunsmith to get some things work on and fix and also buy some off of him and He told me how it is and i do to him and he helps me out on what ever i need and some times he give me a deal on thing and some other times if he know for how something is he can not sell because it been open he ask me if I can use it and if so it is yours.Also if I do not have all the money off the hand he will just let me pay what i can till it is paid off and no interest and then after out the door I go with it.He dose not do that with that many he told me because some have burn him on some things and he was stuck with the item. I did get 2 guns from him ,from 2 different people done that to him and one of them he cut me a good deal to get it off his hands.If I go with buying from someone privet I go with someone I know pretty well and also make sure I get a paper that I bought it from them and all and call it good after.

dragon813gt
11-28-2015, 06:12 PM
You can apply the same simple rules to firearms and automobiles.

- You will always get more money selling private party than trading in.

- Accessories and modifications decrease the value of the firearm/automobile. Put firearm/automobile back to factory spec. Sell the accessories private party. The firearm/automobile is worth more in parts than as a package.

- Dealers always charge more because they are a business. If you want the best price you buy from a private party. Or from an internet source where there is little to no overhead.

- Be prepared to spend a lot of time trying to find the beat deal or selling an item for what you want. You have to put in the work.

I don't haggle w/ anyone. I tell them what I'm willing to pay. In the case of selling an item I set the price I'm willing to accept. Saves everyone a lot of time. If they won't accept my offer I move on. If a buyer doesn't want to pay what I'm asking then it's time for them to move on.

brtelec
11-28-2015, 06:22 PM
I have been in more than one retail job as a manager selling motorcycles and guns, and my saying was 'there just aren't enough one time customers'. You can attempt to screw everyone one time, but repeat business is what will keep the doors open. Customers also need to realize that they are not more important than feeding your family. My favorite customers were the ones that would tell me how much better of a deal they got elsewhere from a business that is no longer there. That is when I would explain to them that is the reason they are gone. Too funny.

brtelec
11-28-2015, 06:25 PM
The most obnoxious employees I have ever had the displeasure to do business with in my 55 years has been gun shops and scuba shops.

Handloader109
11-28-2015, 06:43 PM
The most obnoxious employees I have ever had the displeasure to do business with in my 55 years has been gun shops and scuba shops.

Your right there! One LGS I've been in once and it is my closest store. Won't step in there again. Three others close enough to do me, one is quite new and I'll try him out soon. Obnoxious employees are a bane, especially if they own the place.......

Tackleberry41
11-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Not sure what it is about gun shops. I have been to some that were friendly and fair. Most are not. Long ago I went looking for a rifle to replace one I didn't like. I'm a lefty so wanted a lefty. One place I went, really really pushed to sell me what they had in the rack even tho it was not what I wanted. But what I wanted was not what I really want, but what they have in the rack. I wanted a lefty in 300 win mag, no I wanted a righty in 308. Argued with me, so I walked out, went someplace else. Next shop was ever so happy to order me exactly what I wanted and still have it 20 yrs later. Went back and bought 2 more guns as I remember.

Some in shops tend to be very opinionated about things. They sell glock, then you want to buy a glock. Or like my friend he really really likes glock, poo pooed pretty much everything else. Its rare to get him to shoot any of my guns, unless its an AR15 or a glock. Just as hes a 45 man, 40 is garbage, 9mm is for girls. I don't know seems like they kill people just as dead. I never fell into that 9mm vs 45 thing as I had both. I cannot get him to use cast in anything, even his new 300AAC rifle. Somebody gave him some 230gr to try, he gave me the box without even opening it. He sees the results I get with cast in an old Mosin, but its...different...scary. I could only imagine if you went in his shop as a new buyer. I am not a fan of the AR15, back to my days in the marines, some get pretty defensive if you do not say the AR15 is the greatest invention in the history of mankind.

TXGunNut
11-28-2015, 08:29 PM
I recall a sign in a shop that I did quite a bit of business with. It read something to the effect that the biggest disservice that a business can do to it's customers is to fail to make a profit and go out of business. There are countless opinions as to what constitutes a fair profit. When the buyer and seller disagree neither benefits. When the buyer tries to press his point with an uncooperative seller he wastes the seller's time, time better spent with admin duties or dealing with other customers. Used car dealers and gun dealers encounter an abundance of "tire kickers" who, for one reason or another, are unlikely to make a purchase.
When you develop a relationship with a gun dealer he'll take you more seriously and may give you a bit better deal. Forget the accessories, the money you spent on them is gone. If you didn't get the value you expected by using them you won't get it by selling them in most cases. As a rule gun dealers have very poor luck selling used accessories, they are generally just unwanted clutter.
It's a tough world for indie gun dealers and they all have to find a way to pay the bills (and your buddy's salary), in today's world they have to sell lots of guns for what I consider a slim margin to compete against the internet and private sellers.

KLR
11-28-2015, 08:40 PM
I saw someone on here saying CDNN had a sale on a rifle I was wanting, yea it was considerably cheaper. But that won't keep that shop near me open, so I paid a little more for one they had in the rack, cash flow.

Maybe, maybe not. I won't buy one at $200, but will at $99 + shipping/FFL fees. So I buy it and have it sent to the dealer. My FFL spends less than 10 minutes and pockets $25. He didn't invest a dime in stock sitting on his shelf.
.....And since he's so friendly and easy to deal with, I've purchased multiple guns and sent family and friends there to do the same.

....And a couple times I've noticed he has a gun I can't live without and bought it from him while he was doing the paperwork on a gun I bought on the net. Bought some reloading supplies too...and ammo.

....or he could act like my former LGS and consider us Internet price shoppers to be lepers. I haven't been back to his shop in five years.

exile
11-28-2015, 09:07 PM
We have all had frustrating experiences with particular shops, but can you imagine how high prices will be if our elected officials manage to drive all gunshops out of business, (which is their stated goal.) Who will you have to take a transfer of a gun purchased online? Where will you go to look at a gun you are interested in but not sure that you want to purchase? What about one that is so expensive that you refuse to buy it without handling it first?

Remember, these are not automobiles we are talking about, but something some folks spend their whole lives trying to take away from us.

On another note, I have never made money selling a used gun.

I am thankful for the gun shops (and even the larger chains for reloading stuff.) May they always stay open. They are one of our best guarantees of freedom.

exile

AK Caster
11-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Never understood why people get upset because of a low ball offer when they are trying to trade in. As I mentioned before, EVERYONE knows you will come out with a better deal if you sell your trade outright.
Besides, if you don't like the offer its really easy to say no and walk out.

koehn,jim
11-29-2015, 01:33 AM
Just my 2 cents but whenever possible. I buy locally. I enjoy being able to go into a local shop and get things and not have to drive a long ways. I end up paying a little more some times but the convience is worth it to me. The store has to make a profit, now a price gouger I avoid totally.

trapper9260
11-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Just my 2 cents but whenever possible. I buy locally. I enjoy being able to go into a local shop and get things and not have to drive a long ways. I end up paying a little more some times but the convience is worth it to me. The store has to make a profit, now a price gouger I avoid totally.
I am with you on all of that ,also drive a long ways to save a few dollars will end up cost you in gas n the end unless it is a large amount you can save.

MT Gianni
11-29-2015, 09:02 PM
I used to frequent a shop in Pocatello in the late 70's. His pistols were generally $15-$20 higher than the franchises. If you bought from him he would hand you a box of ammo and if at all possible a used leather holster or a new Uncle Mikes to leave with. Guess where the locals shopped. It all boils down to treating people right. Some can't be pleased and some would be happy getting taken for $$$. You want to keep the ones in the middle happy.

crowbuster
11-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I used to frequent a shop in Pocatello in the late 70's. His pistols were generally $15-$20 higher than the franchises. If you bought from him he would hand you a box of ammo and if at all possible a used leather holster or a new Uncle Mikes to leave with. Guess where the locals shopped. It all boils down to treating people right. Some can't be pleased and some would be happy getting taken for $$$. You want to keep the ones in the middle happy. we have a winner. treating people right is the key and What I go by. To many times we are treated like we don't matter, that don't work for me. Thanx for that post mt. Gianni

MaryB
11-29-2015, 11:45 PM
My LGS has a constant stream of internet sales coming in and out. He doesn't care because most of us buy all of our ammo from him along with other guns. I have picked up some of his used that came in via internet trades and I have bought new. Both times his pricing was very fair and the lowest in the area!

Tackleberry41
11-30-2015, 10:28 AM
My local shop has no issues with me getting something off the web and doing the transfer. But if they have the same gun in their rack for a couple bucks more why not just buy it from them? They have always treated me very good, but have figured out I will be back to buy something. They had 22lr during the drought for regular prices.

This is what I traded for the other day. 154510

The other shop that felt I should pay $120 plus my gun in trade for a lower priced gun. The place here swapped me even, even put my rifle thats on layaway on the background check to save the $10 later.

ZippyHillbilly
11-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Well ... bein a hillbilly and all, we kinda grow up with firearms around. Aint really no different than a pocket knife or jumper cables. The brick and mortar places are having a rough time, and the drastic increase in firearms owners, the internet and such has had good and bad effect on the whole industry. New shops catering to the "new" and CC folks have caused some shops to go high retail. That coupled with new Rambo types is more prevalent now. I gotta admit ... most "shows" around thesins parts are rather laid back, quiet for the most part. I have went to various shops and shows in other parts of the country and was a tad bit uncomfortable in some. I don't think disco balls, DJ's and **** are my kind of environment for purchasing of a firearm. Spent most of my time a a couple shows talking to ole timers that laughed at me when I asked "what kind of mickey mouse **** is this?" Avid collectors and shooters know the difference. Others will learn with time. I do biz with the same folks and businesses I have for years. Most all local and I know them on a personal level.

Love Life
11-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I buy my guns from a local home based FFL. He has low overhead so his prices are the bomb. He also has no problem doing internet transfers for me. Two other places I checked out here seemed offended to take my money. Both have closed down in the last year...

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-30-2015, 11:49 AM
I really like my LGS, His pricing on used guns is pretty good most of the time. He will consign, so sometimes the prices of those can be high (depends on the consigner). But I have learned in my 20+ years of dealing with him, that he isn't in the business to buy used guns. His sign doesn't say buy-sell-trade.

So the story:
One day (in the 1990s), I was at his store, chatting will other locals. A guy comes in with four rifles and wants to sell them for cash. The owner is hesitant, but looks 'em over and offers him a hundred dollar bill for all four. The guy gets upset, grumbles a bit and walks out. I follow him out the door, as one of the four were a TC muzzloader (I didn't know it was a seneca at the time), I don't recall what else he had, but I was just getting into shooting muzzle loaders and thought that little 36cal was cute. I consoled the guy and asked what he wanted for the muzzleloader, He wanted to sell them all for $500...maybe I should have looked at the other three, but I didn't have $500 on me anyway. We chatted a bit more and he sold me the TC for $90.

I walk back into the store, and the owner chides me, and says, I hope that deal you just made, didn't cost me a sale :evil:,,, I laughed it off, but I could see he was pissed. I think he got over it? the next time I bought one of his guns.

dragon813gt
11-30-2015, 11:59 AM
I buy my guns from a local home based FFL. He has low overhead so his prices are the bomb. He also has no problem doing internet transfers for me.

Same, except I've found mine has a hard time getting some firearms. He's very low volume and has no pull w/ the distributors. I've gotten tired of waiting months and never getting a firearm. So I just order from Gunbroker and have him do the transfer. It's a pretty profitable gig if the volume is there.

ZippyHillbilly
11-30-2015, 11:59 AM
There is a fine balance of purchasing outside the door of a biz. While it seems innocent enough ... I can see where a biz owner could get upset with folks making purchases in the parking lot. The biz owner pays all the bills and costs to have the biz. Seldom will I do this even if it's a very good deal. If I choose to do so... I know the owner personally, and I know it won't upset them. Just the way I do things.

Love Life
11-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Same, except I've found mine has a hard time getting some firearms. He's very low volume and has no pull w/ the distributors. I've gotten tired of waiting months and never getting a firearm. So I just order from Gunbroker and have him do the transfer. It's a pretty profitable gig if the volume is there.

Depending what I want, it can take some time. It is worth it though like when I got my NIB CZ85 Combat for $500 out the door. At the time when Colt Wiley Clapp Commanders were $1400 everywhere else, he got one for $1200. Of course Colt kicked him to the curb, but that is a different story all together.

I try to do business with local shops, but usually their prices are just to high to pay to keep them in business. I do like pawn shops though. Great deals to be had in pawn shops.

dk17hmr
11-30-2015, 02:30 PM
I buy alot of my powder at the local shops....little more expensive but it's there and I want it when I want it. I have yet to buy at gun from our local shops, I find better deals online I don't waste their time asking to touch everything either like alot of people.

One local shop is famous for "let me see if I can order it for you"....I can order it I wanted to see if you had it in stock because I wanted it today.

I make the lgs rounds just to see what's around but rarely buy anything except powder.

Fergie
12-01-2015, 01:10 AM
I buy from the local shops whenever I can. I used to spread my business around to the three or four in town, but now I only buy from one place in particular.

They are the sort of place I can go in, get a cup of joe from behind the counter, and listen to the guys BS and join in as well. They know I like .32s and revolvers and set things aside for me. They'll give me the straight answer on where to buy certain parts and pieces if they don't have it, and will tell me to sell something private party as they can't give me the best price for it.

I've brought a lot of business to them through friends and such over the years, and they appreciate it. When powder was nowhere to be found, they gave me a call when they got 60 some pounds in and wanted to know if I wanted any before it was put out on the shelves.

Thing is, the owner and his guys are part of our community, and they don't forget that. In turn, a fair number of us in town do our best to make sure they stay that way.

The other three other LGSs in town do well too, so they must be doing something right.

dakotashooter2
12-01-2015, 06:19 PM
In retail you make money by turning your stock. Many companies have already figured out (via computerization) how long an item can sit on their shelf before all profit from that product is lost due to overhead. They will discount a product before reaching that point. It's hard for many small business owners to see that. They just see reducing the price as lost profit not realizing it has already been lost and that keeping the product longer robs the profit from other products. When I run the numbers he is offering is what the dealers in my area use as their standard for trades. It's not a deal.....And you can bet he will not sell all your extras as a package with the gun so he will also make a little money off that.

Geraldo
12-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Business can't happen without cash flow, and cash is something that both the LGS and the gun owner/buyer are badly short on at the moment.

You go in there with cash (whatever you could get for your used gun), and he'll deal. His job is to move guns, so if he just trades, he's doing nothing but treading water while the business fails.

There you have it.

Geezer in NH
12-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Here is my take. You buy the item retail, use it and give it wear. Then want the vendor to pay you for it by buying it at a high price equal it seems to what he buys a brand new same product for, so he can then sell it slightly below the price of the NEW product.

Get real folks ain't happening. Your used firearm is worth 50% of what wholesale is for that model at best depending on condition. One mark makes it about 80% condition. Most folks think there gun is like new but it realy can not make 90% condition.

I am talking new production like last 30 years collectables have a slight difference in value but by whole NO.

Sorry to break bubbles. :violin:

Love Life
12-01-2015, 09:00 PM
I offer more for a bone stock used gun than for a gun that has been home modified. Now if Bob Marvel's name is on the gun, then that is a different story!

fatelk
12-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Get real folks ain't happening. Your used firearm is worth 50% of what wholesale is for that model at best depending on condition. One mark makes it about 80% condition. Most folks think there gun is like new but it realy can not make 90% condition.
I'd be tickled to be able to find slightly used guns for 50% of new wholesale. :)

I certainly don't begrudge someone for making a living, but what really bothers me is the high powered salesmanship that some guys employ. I've experienced and seen examples of some of the worst: they find the tiniest real or imagined imperfection or drawback to what you have to sell or trade, come up with misleading or flat-out dishonest facts, figures, and excuses, and generally beat you up to wear down and discourage you into a total rip-off of a deal. Certainly not all gun dealers are that way, but I've certainly met a few. Again, discussion of prices and profits aside, I can respect the guy who needs to buy low and sell high to make a living but does it with some honesty and integrity. I can't respect the guy who beats up a customer to rob him (figuratively) and laughs all the way to the bank.

I used to frequent a shop in Pocatello in the late 70's. His pistols were generally $15-$20 higher than the franchises. If you bought from him he would hand you a box of ammo and if at all possible a used leather holster or a new Uncle Mikes to leave with. Guess where the locals shopped. It all boils down to treating people right. Some can't be pleased and some would be happy getting taken for $$$. You want to keep the ones in the middle happy.

That's so true in any business, isn't it? I know a guy in the town I moved from that opened a small shop a few years ago. I understand it's a tough business to make a living in, but I think he does OK. He's friendly, responsive, and seems to treat people right. That's worth a lot in my book. I bought a favorite gun from him a while back: and old S&W model 66 service revolver. I like old guns, and $350 seemed quite fair to me!

On another note, I have never made money selling a used gun.
I don't trade guns (never have), don't sell any, and anymore don't buy any either, buy I did make some good money selling a used rifle one time.

There's a shop I used to visit occasionally that had a LOT of guns, new and used, several guys working the counters, and not too bad of prices. The problem was that the owner was a well-known loud mouthed jerk, and it seemed that he liked to hire like-minded staff. They had a terrible reputation for how they treat customers. I wouldn't even go in there anymore after he yelled at me one day. (I asked my buddy as we immediately left if I had done anything wrong when I politely asked about prices on some used accessories- he laughed and said Marv does that all the time, didn't you know?)

Anyhow, I was in there one day and saw an old beat-up "Russian" SKS on the shelf for $125. (I guess it's been close to a decade, but was still a good price at the time). I looked it over and politely told the employee working the counter that I didn't think it was Russian because the markings were wrong. He rudely let me know that he was the expert and don't tell him his business. I went home and did a little research, then back again the first thing in the morning to buy the "Russian" SKS. It sat in my safe for a couple years until I decided some collector needed it more than I did, so I sold my Vietnam bring-back NVA SKS for $800.

Love Life
12-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Fatelk- Was that gunshop with the loud mouthed jerks in North Carolina?

fatelk
12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Nope, opposite coast. I suppose there's a few around the country. :)

Love Life
12-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I was thinking flatwoods. I guess they are all over!

Doggonekid
12-07-2015, 11:40 PM
I'm with Wilco I vote with my wallet too. I just haven't voted in a while. Maybe it is broken. I know I don't have a high capacity wallet so if i ever go to Calif. it will be legal.