PDA

View Full Version : casting Loverin style bullets! ?

jhalcott
04-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Do these molds expand enough to hold the bullets when they (the mold) get hot?? I cast just over 300 bullets this afternoon using a 287505 mold. 2 cavity. I cleaned it before starting and again after it started holding onto the bullets. I tried smoking it and even dusted it with MOLY. I could cast several bullets, then they would stick. I tried the wet rag routine with great results. As soon as they stuck ,I'd pour another cast and put the bottom of the mold against a wet rag,turn it over and touch the sprue plate to the rag for a second or 2. The next 3or 4 casts dropped easily when the mold was opened. Then the procedure was repeated. I had to stop because of supper being on the table.:confused:

leftiye
04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
I've had molds stick when they're good and hot (same molds released easily when cooler). In my case I interpreted it that the lead remained hotter longer and didn't shrink as much. Also, fillout was probly better. Deburring the edges of the cavity(ies) and lapping some (polishing only) usually stops this.

beagle
04-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, Louverin design bullets tend to be hard to drop. Normally, hard dropping is caused by burrs in the bands and grooves. With grooves an integral part of the Loverin design, it aggravates the problem over other moulds.

Just keep working on the burrs until you get it dropping good ./beagle

Maven
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
One way to remove burrs is to chuck a new/clean phosphor bronze bore brush (never stainless steel!) of the appropriate caliber in a variable speed electric drill and rotate it in each cavity for ~45 secs. Degrease the mold and smoke it with a wooden match or butane lighter and try casting with it again: Bullets should drop freely from the mold.

Ricochet
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Maven, is that safe with a bronze brush in an aluminum mould?

Maven
04-14-2008, 02:40 PM
All, Ricochet is correct, the bronze bore brush should only be used on IRON (meehanite) molds, not those made of aluminum or brass. For the latter two materials, use CB's embedded with a fine lapping compound, e.g., Pearl Drops tooth polish, Bon Ami + oil, to polish and remove burrs. I was operating on the assumption that #287505 was a Lyman (meehanite) mold.

mtgrs737
04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
+1 on lapping the mould with a cast boolit and toothpaste, it makes all the difference in the world! I have had aluminum moulds that I had to beat to death before lapping and now they just fall out when I open the mould. It doesn't take much either, about 30 seconds in each direction at the slowest RPM will do it on a Lee. Good luck!

Mtgrs737

TAWILDCATT
04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
where does that number come from its not a lee?more like a lyman.lee does not number them like that.and they dont make a 287 unless its a group buy.:coffee:
[smilie=1:--:Fire:

jhalcott
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
the mold IS a Lyman double cavity. I checked the thing with a big desk lamp/magnifier before I started with it. I could not see any burrs or other problems, so was surprised when the bullets started to sieze. Mostly in the outer cavity, furthest from the handle hinge. I allowed it to cool then checked it again ,finding no burrs. I used an eraser to rub the edges and the "ribs" of the grooves. Just out od frustration I buffed the interior surfaces with some MOLY dust. When I started casting again,after warming the mold up, the bullets were dropping like flies! Then it got hot as I was only using the one mold. The bullets started seizing again. So I got a wet rag and touched the mold to it ,top and bottom for a couple seconds. The bullets seemed to jump out as I opened the mold so I did the wet rag thing for a few minutes with zero problems. When I stopped "chilling the mold" it went back to seizing! I still wonder if heat is the culprit. I'm going to try it again tommorrow to see if using 2 or 3 molds in rotation will keep it cool enough to work without beating on it!

IcerUSA
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Micro burrs or ridges will keep it from dropping once it gets hot as they will enlarge from the heat . I would suggest polishing again , might take a few tries to get it to drop at the higher temp but it should work fine , just don't use anything too abrasive on it .

Keith