PDA

View Full Version : Shaving lead off base of boolit....

waco
11-27-2015, 03:57 PM
44mag loaded on a Dillon 550

Case mouth has plenty of bell to it. When I seat the boolit in station 3 I am getting a small sliver of lead up around the crimp groove you can peel off with a finger nail.

Any ideas what causes this? It NEVER happens with my Lyman 429421 sized to .430"

It is happening with two different Accurate molds. The TL design is sized to .432" and the Lee copy is sized to .4315"
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-240AT-D.png
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-310D-D.png
Is this an issue with the larger diameter boolit? Should I be looking at the expander plug in the sizer die????
Any help is welcome.

Thanks again in advance guys.

Waco

rintinglen
11-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Sounds as though you are getting crimping while seating. The crimp groove on most 429-421 copies is much larger than what I see on your Accurate boolits. I suspect that the crimp is folding in just soon enough to catch the edge of the larger diameter Accurate boolit groove, but slow enough to miss the edge of the smaller diameter Lyman boolit groove. Try moving the die up in station three and lowering the seater to avoid the reduction in size of the case and use a second seater to crimp in station four, if you are not already doing so. Failing that, a set of "cowboy" dies might be the ticket.

waco
11-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Sounds as though you are getting crimping while seating. The crimp groove on most 429-421 copies is much larger than what I see on your Accurate boolits. I suspect that the crimp is folding in just soon enough to catch the edge of the larger Accurate boolit groove, but slow enough to miss the edge of the smaller, wider Lyman boolit groove. Try moving the die up in station three and lowering the seater to avoid the reduction in size of the case and use a second seater to crimp in station four.

Well I feel kinda stupid. I should have thought of that! Thanks. I'll give that a try.

waco
11-27-2015, 04:35 PM
That worked like a champ! Thanks again!!

rancher1913
11-27-2015, 04:50 PM
don't feel to bad, I've had the same problem but never worried about it as it was only on my plinking loads. now I know a quick fix.

tazman
11-27-2015, 07:01 PM
I have gone to crimping in a separate station on all my reloads for that very reason.

waco
11-27-2015, 07:45 PM
I do crimp in a separate station. Always have. The die was just adjusted down too far for this boolit design.
Problem solved.

John Boy
11-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Open the mouth so the driving band is in the case at station #3