PDA

View Full Version : Stripper clips for 1916 Spanish Mauser

corbinace
11-27-2015, 01:53 PM
I have a 1916 Spanish Mauser made in '31. I have many different flavors of stripper clips collected over the years. I have never actually used one of the clips though. Yes, some would call me a hoarder.

Is the clip supposed to fit snugly in the recess or is it supposed to slop all over?

Some of the clips I have hold the 7x57 brass very nicely and easily feed into the magazine well, but they are not anything I would call "fitting the rifle".

Is this just the way it is or do I need yet another clip style?

Thanks, Tim.

Scharfschuetze
11-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Most Mauser and 1903 Springfield clips are a bit sloppy. I think that is because once the rounds are pushed into the magazine, a soldier would just slam the bolt forward and while chambering a round, the bolt face kicked the clip from the action. If it was tight fitting, then the clip might jam the rifle by failing to kick out.

Probably the tightest fitting clips in a Mauser are in my 1891 Argentine rifle. The Argentinians used an extension of the bolt stop to place spring pressure on the clip when it was inserted into the rifle to load. Still, it will kick the clip out without fail when the bolt is operated smartly.

Now my match rifles with add on clip holders are pretty snug when holding the clip, but match shooting isn't really life or death game so an extra step in removing the clip isn't really a big deal.

As an aside, I used to use a 1903A3 on the Army's Trainfire course of fire every now and then. Using the stripper clips, I could shoot a possible within the time limits of the course. That often beat the rest of my team using their issue rifles. While I wouldn't have done that in the Big Army, SOF is a different and more gun savy bunch and as we still had 1903A4 rifles in the armory for training purposes, no one at range control suspected a thing.

When selecting clips for your rifle, keep in mind that M14 clips (not magazines) have a single nub and Argentinian clips have no nubs on the side. Mauser 98 clips have three alignment nubs while 1903 clips have two alignment nubs. I'm not sure what the Model 1895 was issued with as I don't have one of those.

corbinace
11-27-2015, 11:46 PM
That makes perfect sense. I will try that tonight when I get home from work.

The clips that I have most of, are indeed M14, and they feed really well.

I have it in my head to learn to shoot this rifle quickly. Maybe even use it in a three gun match for kicks.

Thanks for the guidance, Tim.

corbinace
11-28-2015, 03:51 AM
Yep, you were right about the bolt removing the clip. It is nearly as fulfilling as an enbloc from a Garand, as it goes springing away.

Scharfschuetze
11-29-2015, 02:57 AM
Just got 'a love Peter and Paul Mauser. They knew what they were doing!