PDA

View Full Version : Handgun success

Indiana shooter
11-27-2015, 11:35 AM
First off I'd like to thank everyone that helped me out along the way rather directly or indirectly. 44man, thanks for your time and research on load data that helped me "tune" my cast loads so that I fell confident using a handgun past "archery range". As well as showing me that a non-expanding boolit with a wide meplat can be just as deviating as a HP. Thanks to popper for your research into alloying copper with the PB. Larry Gibson, through many of your post you have helped me understand much of this art. Bangerjim, you post on powder coating allowed me to jump right in to PCing with confidence. Along with countless other that has saved me many years of trial and error as well as keeping me safe wile I explore my own path.

This year has been a bad one for me. We have been working 70-80 hours a week since February. That has left me little time to hunt as I normally would, couple that with the fact that I lost my primary hunting grounds because of Idiots I am way behind on my usual quota.

Wednesday morning I got off work and headed straight for the woods with my trusty SBH bisley hunter chambered in .44 mag. After fighting traffic I finally made it to the woods around 9 O'clock and settled in for a long hunt. The morning and midday was uneventful other then a couple of squirrels that I enjoyed watching play. After working all night I gave in to my exhaustion and fell asleep sometime around 3. I awoke to something crashing through the woods. When I found the source of all the commotion I saw a doe running full sprint across the bottom. I was unable to get her to stop. Seconds behind her was a small 6 pt buck giving chase. I whistled and got him to stop in an opening about 50 yards off. I cocked the hammer and searched for the dot in my UltraDot, but to no avail. Amongst all the excitement I had forgotten to turn it on :oops:. I reached up with my left hand and set the brightness setting to 4. Placed the dot on his chest and squeezed the trigger. The deer kicked hard and ran off into the thicket.

I waited 45 minutes and gave chase. After walking to the last place I saw the deer I quickly picked up on a very obvious blood trail. I tracked the deer only 40 or so yards into the thicket and found my deer laying at the end.

The boolit struck him in the chest traversing through one lung, liver and gut before exiting just in front of the ham. The load was a 265gr RD from a NOE that was an alloy of 95 Pb/3 Sb/2 Sn PCed with HF red loaded over 22.5 gr of H-110.

This was the exit hole.

Definitely not the biggest deer in the woods but he'll eat good.

Pumpkinheaver
11-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Congratulations!!! Good deal!!! I killed my first whitetail with a handgun this year. I was shaking like it was a huge buck when it was only a doe. Still a trophy to me.

tdoyka
11-27-2015, 11:59 AM
congrats!!!

jaydub in wi
11-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Congratulations on your success. I took my first handgun buck this year and it's much more exciting

Hickok
11-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Congratulations! Now you are hooked!

Any deer kill with a revolver is trophy in my opinion.:smile:

Larry Gibson
11-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Well done!

Larry Gibson

44man
11-27-2015, 01:51 PM
What can I say? I am excited for you! Wonderful.

Ramjet-SS
11-27-2015, 03:14 PM
I bet it was exciting and nice shooting and great job on keeping your wits after the red dot incident. By the way I have done that as well.

petroid
11-27-2015, 07:15 PM
That's awesome! Good for you!

Thumbcocker
11-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Congratulations.

Djones
11-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Good for you! Glad you were able to get a deer with your 44!

Steve77
11-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Well done, may it be the first of many. I killed my first Pistol buck(41 mag) this season also. It is was as exciting as any hunt I've had. I've gotten 2 doe also with a handgun(one with a 44 Mag the other a 41) .

missionary5155
11-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Greetings Indi..
Congratulations ! It does the heart good to see the end results of all the work and practice. Only gets better ! Lead slugs and corn crunchers are a great match.
Mike in Peru

Shuz
11-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Congratulations! He'll "eat good"!

nagantguy
11-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Way to go, it's a lot of fun getting them into pistol range. Your load is very similar to my load for my shorter barreled blackhawks.

Echale3
12-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Good job! My first-ever buck was an 8-pointer shot with a 220 grain water-dropped COWW bullet over 18 grains on AA #9 out of a DW 357 SuperMag, at the back end of Sonny's farm outside of Enochsburg, IN.