PDA

View Full Version : Foaming bore cleaner

abunaitoo
11-27-2015, 04:53 AM
Has anyone used any of these???
Which one works the best???
I'll be using it to clean surplus rifle bores.

Artful
11-27-2015, 05:13 AM
I tried this on a Mosin barrel and it got out lots of stuff.
http://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-solvents/foaming-bore-cleaner-12-oz--sku674000016-26069-50495.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-674-000-016&gclid=CM-5ucKhsMkCFdKDfgodYgML8g

B R Shooter
11-27-2015, 06:57 AM
I have used Wipe Out foam. If you have a barrel that is nasty, it will get an amazing amount of **** out of it. It doesn't work quickly, you need to let it set for a while, even over night. But what comes out will surprise you. For old military barrels or factory barrels that won't shoot well any more, it's worth a try. There was another brand out quite a few years ago, Forrester maybe? It worked too. Wipe Out is popular now days.

Southern Son
11-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Use it for cleaning the bore of everything. If you use it to clean out copper, leave it sit for a while. I found that it seems to help a bit with just cleaning carbon and even leading. Just let it soak to get into whatever your cleaning out. I have used WipeOut, and it was good, but I found another brand in a blue can, don't know the brand, that was in a larger can and cheaper. It isn't as aggresive, needs to soak a bit longer, but still good. I like it because you don't really get any "false" indicators (like if you put Sweets in the bore using a brass jag).

kungfustyle
11-27-2015, 01:02 PM
If you use patch-out/wipe out get the accelerator and make sure there is something under the rifle to ketch the dripping. It stains and not great on your stocks!!!!! Once its all said and done, I don't think it cleans any better than anything else. Supposed to spray it in and let it sit overnight, push a patch through repeat. I'll get many more cleanings from a bottle of Kg-12 or even Hoppe's than two of the foaming stuff. Question is, elbow grease or $$. Your choice.

jmort
11-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Big believer/user of Patch-Out/Wipe-Out. Agree, use the Accelerator as needed.

M-Tecs
11-27-2015, 01:14 PM
I am big fan of WipeOut. http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipe-out/

As others have stated it works best if you leave it overnight. On really abused bore it may take several cleanings to get everything. WipeOut removes copper, carbon and plastic but it's not great on leading. They make a product for lead but I haven't tried it yet.

jmort
11-27-2015, 01:22 PM
"it's not great on leading. They make a product for lead but I haven't tried it yet."

I have, it it works well. For serious lead fouling, you really need some "mechanical" action as well.
NO-LEAD” Brushless Lead Remover
http://www.sharpshootr.com/NO-LEAD-2.gif

Ola
11-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Artful: The foam available here ( Milfoam Forrest (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/milfoam-forrest-bore-cleaning-foam~gfs_MILfoam.html) made in Finland ) looks a lot like the GunSlick (made USA)!

It is good stuff. Forget the instructions and let it soak for 12 hrs. Apply more in every 2 hrs if necessary and let it eat the copper..

lefty o
11-27-2015, 02:38 PM
i use the outers/gunslick in the bluish can, works pretty good. foam it, let sit for a few hours, patch out and repeat until your happy.

Ola
11-27-2015, 03:33 PM
What it says in the instructions? 15 minutes?

Edit: these foams have ZERO effect on leading.

shredder
11-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Wipe out is my fav but I have a really hard time finding it up in Canuck land right now. I got some Outers bore cleaning foam and it seems to work the same.

roysha
12-05-2015, 06:42 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's picnic but I have tried this foaming **** and it is the biggest PITA of any gun/bore cleaning product I have ever tried. I ended up throwing the remainder of all the Wipe Out stuff in the dumpster. I am personally acquainted with the Canadian distributor of the product and he gave me a demonstration and some free samples to try, which I did and after a couple of attempts I gave up. Sweet's and Hoppes worked better for me. As with most products, it works for some and not for others.

Mk42gunner
12-06-2015, 12:21 AM
I bought a bottle of Hoppe's Elite foaming bore cleaner from Walmart about a year ago. It is supposed to "remove carbon, lead, and most copper fouling." I used it for the first time a few days ago to clean a new to me Krag carbine barrel.

It seemed to work okay, and was fairly easy, once I got the right size patches to fit my jag. I sprayed it into the chamber end and let ti drip out the muzzle. The warning to have a catch pan are right, some very nasty looking black stuff came out.

I ran the brush trough the bore once, then the foam and let it sit for the recommended 5 minutes. Brushed it three or four strokes, then a couple of patches on the jag. anther five minutes soak, followed by brushing, two patches and the barrel seemed clean.

I do not know how much the bore was fouled before I started, it was a new (to me) gun. I will be using it again, on something that I have a reasonable idea of the bore condition; but as it is now, it seems easy. I have cleaned enough rifle barrels in my life that I don't appreciate cleaning for cleaning's sake. If it needs cleaning, or for rust prevention, okay, but not just for something to do.

Robert

Ola
12-07-2015, 03:41 PM
The foam I'm familiar with need 12 hrs. Preferably in warm place. It cleans only copper. Not lead.

I'm not using foams anymore. Couple of years ago I started using Bore Tech Copper Remover (http://www.boretech.com/products/copperremover.shtml). Little more work but so much faster.

Blue2
12-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Big believer/user of Patch-Out/Wipe-Out. Agree, use the Accelerator as needed.

A nice way to apply the Wipe Out Foam----It comes with a red straw on the side of the can like you would see on an oil product for application into deep spots. Take a fired cartridge case from your rifle and open up the decapped fash-hole to just allow the entry of the red spray tube. Since we are clever guys and do not want a false indication from the blue of a dissolving brass case we could coat the inside of the case with nail polish or paraffin wax. Next step is now self evident--insert prepared case in chamber of rifle being cleaned and inject the Wipe Out or other foam product up through the barrel from the chamber end.

jmort
12-14-2015, 09:37 AM
I have never tried that. Makes sense to have a well fitted spray tube adapter fitted to the firearm in question. Have to give that one a try.