PDA

View Full Version : Rechamber like new Savage M40 Hornet?

dualsport
11-27-2015, 03:21 AM
My Savage M40 Varminter .22 Hornet has the same extraction issues so often heard about on the web. Apparently it's a real common problem. Darn shame as they are really nice rifles otherwise. I'm thinking about going to K Hornet on it. Already set up for the K on another gun so there's that. Any downside to the rechamber on a Savage M40? They were discontinued and replaced by the Model 25. Also nice.

gandydancer
11-27-2015, 04:07 AM
that's the very reason i sold my savage model 40 22 Hornet. don't know about the 25??

Hickok
11-27-2015, 08:27 AM
I have owned both the model 40 and the model 25 in .22 hornet. Had extraction problems with both of them. I did a little file work on the Model 40 extractor, and it worked MOST of the time, but I never was satisfied. Then I bought a Model 25. The Model 25 has a Sako type extractor, and I thought it would work well, but it didn't. I even replaced the spring, but it would still leave a case stuck at times.

I then bought a CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet, and it is a great rifle. Having the Mauser extractor, it will rip the head off a casing before letting go. I even took some empty Hornet brass and expanded the neck and mouth, so the case would fit very tight in the chamber. The CZ extracted and ejected them with ease!

Larry Gibson
11-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Not had any extractor problems with my M40. Don't see how chambering to K-Hornet would cure any such problems. Also see no reason to K-Hornet the M40 either, especially for case bullets. The long Hornet neck and 14" twist makes it perfect for several cast bullets, especially the Lyman Loverin 225462.

Larry Gibson