PDA

View Full Version : My son missed AGAIN!

petroid
11-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Maybe he'll figure it out this time! You can't kill a deer while you're still in bed. He said he wanted to go hunting this morning but when I went wake him up he said he was too tired. I figured I'd look and see what was out there and maybe bag some squirrels so I took my time and got to the blind about 6:40, well after sunrise. As soon as I sat down and got my 22 ready, I heard what I thought was a squirrel and looked up to see a nice buck ambling away at about 40 yards. He walked up the hill and was hanging out on the ridge in the thick stuff. I could still see him, so I decided to go get the boy. Once we got back to the blind, he had either gone or decided not to come back out. Pulled the trail cam memory card from the front of the blind and went inside to get the pics. He had been ten feet from the blind during legal shooting hours and had hung out in the area for at least 15 minutes after. He's not on the ground yet, but if he hangs around, he soon will be. Hopefully my son will figure out that you can't get a buck if you don't go hunting.

jaydub in wi
11-26-2015, 12:05 PM
That buck is a dandy. Hope you can get him

Bodean98
11-27-2015, 09:10 AM
LOL! Great kid story.
Reminds me much of my sons. FWIW my sons are 20 and 22 and still have their share of difficulty getting out of bed! I guess the "OleMan" will have to show him how its done again.
Thanks for the chuckle!

monge
11-27-2015, 09:35 AM
I have the same problem both have no interest in getting up early, hunt mostly by myself at least your son came out with you.

Markbo
11-28-2015, 07:35 PM
I read this and wondered if this was going to become a yearly tradition here at CB.com. :D

petroid
11-28-2015, 08:40 PM
I hope not. We have one day left in gun season. Supposed to rain just like it has for the last two days. Uggghhh. Deer haven't been moving. Only a couple pics of does with fawns in middle of the night.

T-Bird
11-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Matters more to you than it does to him. That's why he didn't get up. You can't change that. T-Bird

petroid
11-28-2015, 09:11 PM
I do want him to succeed, but more than that, I want him to realize that he has to put in the effort to make it happen. I'm kind of glad that the two times he decided not to go are the exact two times that we have had opportunities to shoot good bucks. Hopefully he'll figure out that you can't expect it to happen just when it's convenient for you. He got his first deer this year. It was a button buck and it was the first deer he saw while hunting. I told him it was small and he could wait for a bigger one, but he wanted to get a deer and since he had a chance to, he took it. Now he wants to shoot a big buck and has passed on spikes to get a big one. We have meat in the freezer and nothing is lost by passing on the spikes, so I'm proud of him for being selective. We have ample opportunity to shoot deer here, which was not the case when I was growing up, so he has the choice. But there is still a lesson to be learned in tenacity.

Markbo
11-29-2015, 08:02 PM
And you have done your part. Hopefully there is a lesson learned in not trying. ;)

petroid
11-29-2015, 10:02 PM
And you have done your part. Hopefully there is a lesson learned in not trying. ;)

Maybe, maybe not. He got a 6 point today and was pleased but I know he really wanted a trophy

UBER7MM
12-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Petroid,

Your son's problem is that he's not hungry enough yet. Stop feeding him! lol

petroid
12-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Petroid,

Your son's problem is that he's not hungry enough yet. Stop feeding him! lol

Haha. You've got to kill your dinner. Is that how it goes? lol

SSGOldfart
12-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Haha. You've got to kill your dinner. Is that how it goes? lol

Yep that's what it takes some time lol:popcorn:

Hamish
12-07-2015, 07:28 PM
update?

petroid
12-07-2015, 08:12 PM
update?

See post #10

and this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293237-Son-got-a-Buck!