PDA

View Full Version : Trajectory Tables

chuckbuster
11-26-2015, 09:35 AM
Need a little help. My Dad (86 yrs Young) has got himself into a "discussion" regarding trajectory of 12 ga slugs and where you gotta aim on a longish shot. Fortunately in this case it was a clean miss. Anyway is there a source someplace for trajectory tables that he can use as "Exhibit A"? Not sure what load was involved at this time but the other side of the argument not that sophisticated. Dad and I don't load shotgun at all so very limited in reference material on the shelf.
Thanx in advance for the help
Kevin

OBCoal
11-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Here is Winchester tables for regular slugs http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/RackMaster/Pages/default.aspx

(http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/RackMaster/Pages/default.aspx)

Scroll down and hit compare.

GhostHawk
11-26-2015, 10:16 AM
For rifle you can find that information but I have never seen anything like it for shotgun and slugs.

I personally lean towards smaller is better.
2 paper plates, 30 yards paced distance.
Shotguns were both Rem 870 Wingmasters.
Slugs were both Federal.

20 gauge put 5 all inside 5"
12 gauge had 3 hits, 2 misses.

Do your own testing. But, my opinion, and just an opinion.
Your dad's full of beans.

There is a LOT of area any given slug can go beyond, 50 yards. I bet at 100 yards you only get 2/3rds of them on a 4x8 piece of plywood.

And the other variable is the deer. And there is a LOT of air around them.

OnHoPr
11-26-2015, 02:31 PM
https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/hunting-spoton/index.page

HIT THE LAUNCH BUTTON. It is sorta complex, but with a little playing around you will get the idea. You have to choose a scope type, then a slug type, etc. Also I have seen slugs shot very accurately for what they are in no wind to light breezes. Smoothbores under 5" at 100 yds and rifled sabots under that @ 200 yds.

Here is an example of a Remington Slugger 2 3/4 sighted in with scope at 75 yards with a 5 mph cross wind through a smoothbore.

chuckbuster
11-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanx for the help OBCoal and OnHoPr. Much appreciated.
Where you at in Michigan OnHoPr? I am in Jackson County.

Ghosthawk,
Your lack of answer, or any relevant information or input really proves who is "Full of Beans"

Kevin

Hogtamer
11-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Uhhhh, missing at 30 yds sounds like more of a shooter problem. 'Course those 12 holers do tend to kick a mite and there might have been a little flinching going.

OnHoPr
11-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Where you at in Michigan OnHoPr? I am in Jackson County.

Kevin

Wayne County just off the Detroit River near Gross Isle. Besides ducks and walleye I been going out to Jackson, Hilldale, Lenawee, Ingam, Wastenaw, Livingston counties for fishing n hunting since I was 5 yo. Lakes like 4 Mile, Grass, Pink, Devils, etc. for fishing and the game rec areas along with the HAP properties since it started along with the start of the Put & Take pheasant program for huntin. Pretty hard huntin, but the fishing was good once in a while.

Cap'n Morgan
11-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the links. I did a back trace on the Winchester data in a ballistic program and it appears a slug has a ballistic coefficient about 0.072. That's definitely NOT long range material.

Also interesting to see both Winchester and Remington using helical fins on their slugs. Especially Winchester, where the fins are extended across the front of the slug. I'm sure they do so for a reason and not just for the snazzy looks!
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag248/driftwood4/Winchester%20slug_zpsuco6kuqn.jpg (http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/driftwood4/media/Winchester%20slug_zpsuco6kuqn.jpg.html)

chuckbuster
11-28-2015, 09:30 AM
I shoot at Sharonville range sort of regular on the weekends. If you headed this way drop me a PM, maybe we can meet up.

Big perch in Devils lake
Kevin

Hardcast416taylor
11-28-2015, 10:28 AM
I worked at a gunshop part time doing the sight is work. The 1 thing that I discovered about the 3 brands of 1 oz. lead Foster slugs is that the Winchester seemed to always work best in smooth barreled shotguns, mostly Rem. 870`s and Mossbergs and of course Winchester slug guns with a few bolt action types thrown in. I asked another shops `smith about which slug he found to work best. He also said the Winchester 1 oz. in smooth barrels. He jokingly said that if you listen carefully when you shoot a Remington 1 oz. Foster slug, you can hear it rattle as it goes down the barrel! Remingtons are of a smaller diameter than both Winchester and Federal he claimed and don`t fully fit the bore when fired. All I know is that Winchester seemed to always give better accuracy. I would ask the last 7 point buck I shot at 75 yards with a Winchester slug, but he only went about 30` after being hit and died. A question rattles around in my head `How would a deer react to a hit from my .416 Taylor and a 350 gr. lead slug`?Robert

chuckbuster
11-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Not sure on what reaction our Taylors would get Robert but the one I punched with a 345gr .480 a couple years ago reacted like any other that just took a double lung, ran as fast it could about 35-40 yards and dropped.
Kevin