PDA

View Full Version : Venison vs Beef

ryan28
11-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Finally, documented testing over the taste of venison and beef.

Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong "wild" taste, others insist venison's flavour is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times with arrows with insufficiently sharp broadheads. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles to get it home so we could drive it around another eight hours showing it to friends, and about another hour taking pictures, before being hung out in the sun for a day.

It was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time they were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavour. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every member of the panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.

The results of this scientific test conclusively show that there is no difference between the taste of beef and venison...

jcwit
11-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Thank You for the chuckle.

Smoke4320
11-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Man why take to many precautions :bigsmyl2:

bubba.50
11-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Quit it! yer makin' me hongry.

MrWolf
11-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Not bad at all. Thanks

rancher1913
11-25-2015, 07:18 PM
I thought this was legit until the grade A Holstein part.:shock:

onceabull
11-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Grade A Holstein ??? Wasn't that the source of the "Utility"grade beef that used to sold in the "Wrong"part of town back when.???? Onceabull

bikerbeans
11-25-2015, 07:32 PM
A friend of mine has a Holstein steer that is almost ready for processing. I will make sure he knows how the professionals process beef.

BB

Thumbcocker
11-25-2015, 08:52 PM
All this time I've been doing it all wrong.

lightman
11-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Sounds about right. Seriously, when I kill a deer, it gets field dressed within 5 or 10 minutes. Within 30 minutes its hanging in the cooler. Most of the time its a one shot deal, like DRT, or dead right there. My deer seldom tastes wild, but is sometimes tough.

GhostHawk
11-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Good one

Idaho Mule
11-25-2015, 11:39 PM
This is looking like some folks are a bit racist towards "Holstein" cattle. JW

Plate plinker
11-26-2015, 12:24 AM
All the Holstein meat I've been given was excellent. We must remember that Holstein cows are very much pampered.

MaryB
11-26-2015, 12:56 AM
Friends of mine always insisted on hanging deer overnight until I butchered one 20 minutes after it was shot and served them a roast later that night. They asked what I did to get rid of the "gamey" flavor... I didn't let it hang and rot!

runfiverun
11-26-2015, 01:48 AM
I eat a lot of Holstein steer meat.
we usually pick the calves up from the local dairies or at the auction for about 40 bucks each.
they provide quite a bit of cast boolit testing at the appropriate time.

I didn't know about the wire brush trick, but will implement it next fall.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Friends of mine always insisted on hanging deer overnight until I butchered one 20 minutes after it was shot and served them a roast later that night. They asked what I did to get rid of the "gamey" flavor... I didn't let it hang and rot!

Grandad always said a deer taken in the summer (poached) was the best venison, because it was cut up and put in the freezer real quick like to reduce the chance of anyone seeing it!

AK Caster
11-26-2015, 10:21 AM
You guys might be onto something about not hanging deer. Last year was the first time I ever had to kill, then skin a buck, and quarter it and ice it down in a cooler for the drive home the same day. It was the best tasting deer we ever ate.

reloader28
11-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Thats pretty much the exact way we butcher our stuff. We dont take all those unnecessary precautions to be sanitary though.

Holstein is very good meat. We still have a bunch in the freezer.

Jpholla
11-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Excellent writing! I also second butchering as soon as possible for fish or game.

Blammer
11-26-2015, 11:11 AM
that's too funny!

Clay M
11-28-2015, 11:16 PM
I have always processed my own venison. It is a good bit of work ,but the meat is excellent.
As my son says, gut the deer ASAP. We put the meat on ice for ten or twelve days.
A refrigerator works well too.
I won't eat any deer meat taken to a deer processor or cooler.
Most of the time you won't get "your deer" anyway.
My neighbor pays $70 to have his processed.
I don't eat mature bucks that are in the rut. Those I give to someone else.
I never kill does until after Thanksgiving.
Just a rule I have.
It is time for me to get some meat now. I will help my son get two or three deer.
I have been eating venison since I was seven years old.
Some good,and some bad.
We lived off of it while I was in college.
I don't soak it or do anything special.
Just process it right.

Is it as good as beef? Well no.
I was also a beef cattle farmer most of my life.

My favorite wild game meat is quail, squirrel,and Elk

TXGunNut
11-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Not a big fan of beef, prefer wild pork over beef or even venison. Since I hunt down south the meat is on ice within a few hours and stays there for a least a few days, bloody water is drained and replaced with ice at least once before I process it.

dk17hmr
11-29-2015, 07:13 PM
I treat antelope better than that and still only make sausage out of it....

Clay M
11-29-2015, 10:11 PM
I no longer kill any deer to eat. I have already eaten all I want in this lifetime.
My son likes it, so I help him get a few for meat.
As far as food quality meat, I really don't like it all that much anymore.
I can eat it, but would rather not.
I have been hunting twice this season. I couldn't care less about it anymore.
I am a shooter, and not so much a hunter.

I do like beef, and always try to eat at least one good T bone steak every week.