PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Dillon RL1000 - Dies Question

beeser
11-25-2015, 12:00 PM
I recently picked up a Dillon RL1000 and would like to set it up with some new 45 ACP dies. I've narrowed it down to either Redding or Dillon. I like the Dillon dies for the reliability of the sizing/depriming die and ease of cleaning of the other two but all of them seem more difficult to adjust than the Redding dies. The Redding dies on the other hand have the micrometer adjustment available on the seating and crimp dies. I'm also thinking of using a separate die for flaring the case mouth instead of using the one that's on the powder measure assembly. Any comments or suggestions?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Beeser,

Having used both the Redding and Forster seating dies, I recommend you look at the Forster dies. Not sure how much help they would be over the Dillons for pistol, but for rifle, they're fantastic and more durable than the Redding, especially if you are reloading a compressed powder load. The Reddings leave a mark on the bullet tip and will/have failed when compressing powders while seating.

For .45ACP, I'd probably just go with Dillon, though I've not been overwhelmed with the Dillon dies I have for seating or crimping either.

Without knowing the powder measure you have, NOE offers at a very affordable price Lyman M-die style expander plugs for the Lee Universal Expanding die and Lee Powder Through Dies. These are excellent for case expansion when using cast boolits. Very affordable too, so you can order multiple expanders inexpensively and NOE does a fine job of machining. NOE also offers the Lee Universal Expanding die at a reasonable price, so you can order the expanders plugs.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=89&osCsid=7v3fotd86toglh3h43u92iq0m2

beeser
11-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Beeser,

Having used both the Redding and Forster seating dies, I recommend you look at the Forster dies. Not sure how much help they would be over the Dillons for pistol, but for rifle, they're fantastic and more durable than the Redding, especially if you are reloading a compressed powder load. The Reddings leave a mark on the bullet tip and will/have failed when compressing powders while seating.

For .45ACP, I'd probably just go with Dillon, though I've not been overwhelmed with the Dillon dies I have for seating or crimping either.

Without knowing the powder measure you have, NOE offers at a very affordable price Lyman M-die style expander plugs for the Lee Universal Expanding die and Lee Powder Through Dies. These are excellent for case expansion when using cast boolits. Very affordable too, so you can order multiple expanders inexpensively and NOE does a fine job of machining. NOE also offers the Lee Universal Expanding die at a reasonable price, so you can order the expanders plugs.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=89&osCsid=7v3fotd86toglh3h43u92iq0m2

Thanks Dave! The Forster dies look really nice but I didn't see anything in carbide, a must on my end. I'll probably use the original Dillon powder dispenser as the ones I've used in the past seem to do a good enough job for me.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks Dave! The Forster dies look really nice but I didn't see anything in carbide, a must on my end. I'll probably use the original Dillon powder dispenser as the ones I've used in the past seem to do a good enough job for me.

On the Forster or Redding, use them just for seating bullets/boolits. Don't buy the set. I suppose I should share this:

I've totally quit reloading with a complete set of any brand of standard die sets. I completely mix and match sets now until I get exactly what I want. Sometimes I use Lee, sometimes RCBS, sometimes Dillon, sometimes older dies, sometimes new dies. The most important thing to me isn't the brand of dies, but the specific manner in which each die of a particular company operates. Some do much better at one job than the others and some don't do so well. I've found mixing brands gives me the best of ALL worlds and a darn fine finished cartridge.

I can't remember who it was now, but I used a mix of die brands with .38/.357 and ended up with a really nice end product.

As far as the powder measure goes, I always check them against the exact powder I want to use for that cartridge. If the measure dispenses that powder well and doesn't leak, it's in. I prefer to use the case activated/powder through/expansion if I can. I must say I've found those Lyman M-die style expanding inserts to really do a fine job.

I want to challenge you to think seriously on upgrading your cartridge, not just doing "good enough." I cannot express to you how much better my shooting experience has become when I really drilled down and focused on building the best cartridge for that particular caliber/firearm than just accepting "good enough."

I think the 1000 has room for a Lyman M-die style expander. I'd urge you to use one if you're casting and loading your own boolits.

Think on this: If you're going to spend that much money on a firearm, then that much money on a press to reload cartridges for it, why limit yourself to one (or even two) brands of dies when a mixed batch can give you a superior cartridge?