PDA

View Full Version : Super Blackhawk trouble...NIB....

chaos
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I purchased a NIB stainless Superblackhawk for my son as he really does well with MY Superblackhawk with loads running about 900fps. When i got the gun home from the dealer I nothiced that all the screws in the gripframe were loose. I tightened them up and took it shooting. He had some trouble pulling the hammer back after reloading a fresh cylinder full.

This gun ever so slightly shaves a hair of lead causing the cylinder to Bind, TIGHTLY.

Is there any quick fox for this or should I just have my dealer ship the damn thing back for me?

I'm quite disappointed as I've had nothing but good things to say about Ruger Revolvers and this one is a real pain.

Edited to add: This gun runs fine with my current hunting load of 240gr XTP over a full charge of w296.

It binds badly on Oregon trail 240gr RNFP with around 7 gr w231

454PB
04-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I know it's a PITA, but my advice is to take it back to the seller and have it returned, if he won't trade it for another.

Ruger is really good about fixing things like this, but the same thing happened to me 35 years ago, and the dealer just swapped me for another gun.

MtGun44
04-14-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't understand the conditions of 'shaving a hair of lead'.

Do the boolits extend too far out the cylinder or are you talking about
lead being spit out during firing?

Or is this lead buiding up on the face of the cylinder?

What is the size of the cylinder-barrel gap?

Is the rear sight screwed all the way down? I had the rear sight screw dragging
on my cylinder and making it bind up, had to take about .005" off of the end of
the screw, which takes longer to type than to do.

Bill

TCLouis
04-14-2008, 10:14 AM
powder escaping.

IF it is shaving lead, it is time for it to see the factory to correct some major flaw.

The cylinder on by Redhawk and Super Redhawk bind a little after 50-100 rounds of lead, just because the barrel/cylinder gap is so tight. NOT a flaw I will ever consider as such!

pdawg_shooter
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Sounds like 9 of the last 10 Rugers I have been around.

chaos
04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Sounds like 9 of the last 10 Rugers I have been around.

Really? i have 9 or 10 rugers and none of them do this, but this one. I backed off on the powder charge a bit and I can now get through 25 round before it starts to bind.

Bullets are the problem.....

Wicky
04-14-2008, 09:25 PM
chaos, what is the OAL of the cartridge? is it longer than the XTP load? Also if it is not the nose of the bullet shaving the lead it could be a timing problem - therefore back to the shop. As TCLouis mentioned too tight a cylinder gap - back to the shop.
I have a Blackhawk and have had no problems with it at all with lead boolit loads, and my cleaning regeme leaves a bit to be desired sometimes!

jhrosier
04-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Really? i have 9 or 10 rugers and none of them do this, but this one. .....

Amen to that. I have over 30 Ruger single actions and none of them have such a problem. I have shot at least 200 shots through several of them in a single session, without any problem. (I shoot only cast boolits in all of them.)
The gun needs to go back to Ruger, with a note (politely as possible) expressing your disappointment with the workmanship.

Jack

Ben
04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Chaos:

You say the gun is binding.

I assume that your primers are seated slightly below flush on all of the case heads ? ?

When the gun " binds " have you looked to see if it is scrubbing on the point between the cylinder and the barrel or is it binding on the case heads against the recoil shield of the pistol ?

If it is binding at either of the points above, you should be able to see it binding and scrubbing.

I've read back through each of these threads, I'm still confused what you mean when you say it is "shaving a hair of lead." Can you explain in more detail what you mean with this phrase.

When you drop in your reloads into the cylinder, do the rims " free fall " into the cylinder and bottom out and do they fall back out of each of the cylinders without any resistance. Are the cylinders clean ? ?

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions as I'm trying to help you isolate your problem ?

Ben