PDA

View Full Version : Raining Leverguns!

TXGunNut
11-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Seems yet another vintage levergun has followed me home! This one is pretty much a standard 92 rifle in 32-20 with no special features that I can find. I have a Lyman bore cam on order but the bore looks pretty good to my naked eye, especially for a rifle built in about 1907. Mag tube is putting a bit of pressure on the bottom of the octagon barrel and the crown has a few bad spots so the first range trip was a bit disappointing. Oil & grease has hardened inside the action so a detail strip and clean is indicated. Wood is solid and fit is good. Bluing is 70% or so but is in the process of turning to patina. One forend screw is incorrect but other than that it seems all original.
I really need to quit doing this but guns like this one don't come along often.
Sorry, no pics tonight. Took a bunch of pics of this 92, another 92 and that oddball '73 so will try to figure out how to get my phone & netbook to quit fighting.

KnotRight
11-24-2015, 11:59 PM
TXgunnut, I too am looking for the older lever action rifles. They are really hard to find around here. I think if one does appear at close to the right price, it is going in the safe.

Good find

rondog
11-25-2015, 12:29 AM
What I can't believe is the prices I see on those nowadays! Unreal. When I was a kid leverguns and old Colt SAA's seemed to be a dime a dozen. Every pawn shop had loads of them and nobody wanted them, they all wanted the newer stuff. Now, a poor boy like me can't even touch them! I could buy four new Rossi '92's for the price of one old beater Winchester, based on what I saw at the last gun show.

ndnchf
11-25-2015, 08:45 AM
TXgunNut - good on ya for saving another fine old rifle. I really like the 32-20, it's a sweet shooter. Winchesters are usually top dollar rifles, but good deals can be found. A while back I found a model 1889 Marlin in 32-20 with a near mint bore. It was much less than a comparable Winchester would have been.

square butte
11-25-2015, 08:51 AM
I do believe we are afflicted with the same disease

pietro
11-25-2015, 12:38 PM

It IS contagious................... [smilie=1:

buckwheatpaul
11-25-2015, 03:32 PM
With all the goodies you find at Cabelas my wife sure is glad that we dont live within 2 hours of it....I will let you continue to let you find the goodies......great find....have a wonderful Thanksgiving from East Texas! Paul

TXGunNut
11-28-2015, 02:36 PM
TXgunNut - good on ya for saving another fine old rifle. I really like the 32-20, it's a sweet shooter. Winchesters are usually top dollar rifles, but good deals can be found. A while back I found a model 1889 Marlin in 32-20 with a near mint bore. It was much less than a comparable Winchester would have been.

Thanks, I like the 32-20 as well. It's odd that I've stumbled across two nice ones considering their relative scarcity compared to the 44-40 and even the 38-40. Good find on the Marlin, around here it seems the vintage Marlin 93's and 94's go for more than comparable Winchesters and a nice bore is a huge bonus for those of us that shoot our collectibles.

TXGunNut
11-28-2015, 02:45 PM
What I can't believe is the prices I see on those nowadays! Unreal. When I was a kid leverguns and old Colt SAA's seemed to be a dime a dozen. Every pawn shop had loads of them and nobody wanted them, they all wanted the newer stuff. Now, a poor boy like me can't even touch them! I could buy four new Rossi '92's for the price of one old beater Winchester, based on what I saw at the last gun show.

Haven't been to a gun show lately but have a feeling that most or all of the nice Winchesters have gone into collections and will be sold at auctions or places like the Library when the collector dies and the executor liquidates the collection. There are still some good deals to be found but you have to look and be ready when you find them. Few will be the bargains of as few a 20 years ago but that's the nature of the beast and it's not likely to change.
I think I'll drop by the orphanage this weekend, just to say "hi" of course. I think I wore out a few 40 cal bore brushes over the last few weeks.

smokeywolf
11-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Winchester levers are like potato chips, after that first one you just can't stop.
Although I would normally refrain from hunting deer with 32-20, if the opportunity presented itself and you were close enough to guarantee shot placement you could with some confidence put venison on the table. It is a wonderfully pleasant and economical caliber.

TXGunNut
11-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Winchester levers are like potato chips, after that first one you just can't stop.
Although I would normally refrain from hunting deer with 32-20, if the opportunity presented itself and you were close enough to guarantee shot placement you could with some confidence put venison on the table. It is a wonderfully pleasant and economical caliber.

I have no immediate plans of hunting with this rifle but wouldn't rule it out for the small S Texas white-tails. I'm sure many thousands of deer have fallen to this cartridge but I have other rifles better suited to the task and my eyesight. This rifle and it's slightly older sibling are indeed pleasant, economical and most importantly fun to shoot. This old rifle has evidently led a long and interesting life, I wouldn't be surprised if it's taken a deer or two.
It may wind up in the stand with me some year as a second rifle to tag a coyote, fox or javelina while waiting for a deer or big pig.

smokeywolf
11-28-2015, 11:31 PM
Here's a hunting pair...
45-60 and 44-40.

TXGunNut
11-29-2015, 01:02 AM
Here's a hunting pair...
45-60 and 44-40.

Nice! I must admit that my 73 has a tang sight sitting on the shelf and an assortment of front sights nearby. I don't have a tang sight for my 92's but that is easily remedied. Latest 92 has a full buckhorn and my eyes like them almost as well as peeps.

TXGunNut
11-29-2015, 01:04 AM

It IS contagious................... [smilie=1:

And quite addictive!

ndnchf
11-29-2015, 08:01 AM
I was browsing Dennis Fulmer's site the other day and he has four 1873 Winchesters in 32-20 for sale. Tempting...

clum553946
11-29-2015, 12:19 PM
The shooter version of the old Winchesters! Yes, it's addicting! lol

TXGunNut
11-29-2015, 01:39 PM
I was browsing Dennis Fulmer's site the other day and he has four 1873 Winchesters in 32-20 for sale. Tempting...

Stop it! ;-) Headed down to the orphanage later and out of habit slipped my bore light into my pocket. Mainly want to check out the Black Friday offerings and visit with a few folks. Visa card has had a rough month so far, I think I better stay away from anything that requires a 4473.

cajun shooter
12-12-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm now 68 and have been a lever action nut since receiving my first Winchester 30-30 for my 16th birthday. We did not have the type of funds for it to be a new one but I loved that rifle and it served me for many years. I never lost my love for the lever action and after the cowboy action matches started, it gave me a reason to buy more.
I just purchased a old Navy Arms made by Uberti 1866 in my favorite cartridge, the 44wcf. I'm in the process of installing a SS kit from Pioneer along with other improving parts like sights. I can't wait to send some down range with it.
I just have to get these darn medical problems worked out so that I may once again hear that boom and try to see the next target through the smoke!! I shoot full cases of 2F ( 33-34 grs) with a 210 grain bullet. Most fun I've had shooting. Take Care David

smokeywolf
12-13-2015, 03:10 AM
I'm now 68 and have been a lever action nut since receiving my first Winchester 30-30 for my 16th birthday. We did not have the type of funds for it to be a new one but I loved that rifle and it served me for many years. I never lost my love for the lever action and after the cowboy action matches started, it gave me a reason to buy more.
I just purchased a old Navy Arms made by Uberti 1866 in my favorite cartridge, the 44wcf. I'm in the process of installing a SS kit from Pioneer along with other improving parts like sights. I can't wait to send some down range with it.
I just have to get these darn medical problems worked out so that I may once again hear that boom and try to see the next target through the smoke!! I shoot full cases of 2F ( 33-34 grs) with a 210 grain bullet. Most fun I've had shooting. Take Care David

I've never bought a "new" rifle. I don't think my father did either. Being that they aren't selling "new" Winchesters manufactured no later than 1963, that greatly reduces the odds of me buying one.

TXGunNut
12-13-2015, 11:09 AM
I believe my first Winchester levergun is the only one I've ever bought new, seems the ones I'm buying today are around 100 years old. Too wet to shoot today, guess I'll drop by the orphanage after coffee. There was a 92 in 38WCF on the rack a couple of weeks ago that I need to check out.

smokeywolf
12-14-2015, 02:11 AM
Have to hope I never run across a nice Model '86 deluxe rifle in 45-90, a Model '94 in 38-55 or a Model '95 deluxe in 405. My will-power is certainly no better than yours. The Model '86 would have to be manufactured before Jan. 1, 1899. Of course the Model '95 manufactured before 1935 (Last listed in the Winchester catalogues in 1934 (No. 89)). The Model '92 manufactured preferably before WW II.

Edit: "The Model '92 manufactured preferably before WW II." Meant to type The Model '94.

TXGunNut
12-14-2015, 11:04 PM
Have to hope I never run across a nice Model '86 deluxe rifle in 45-90, a Model '94 in 38-55 or a Model '95 deluxe in 405. My will-power is certainly no better than yours. The Model '86 would have to be manufactured before Jan. 1, 1899. Of course the Model '95 manufactured before 1935 (Last listed in the Winchester catalogues in 1934 (No. 89)). The Model '92 manufactured preferably before WW II.

Hopefully you will, someday. Sounds like a bucket list to me. My Wall street investments aren't doing especially well this year so have been purchasing Winchester stock. ;-) I haven't been bitten by the 1886 or the 1895 bug but I understand your affection for the 92 and the 94...in 38-55 and a few other flavors. Keep an eye out for an 1873 as well. I can sit and watch that action work for hours, lol.