PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LNL OAL gauge

Blanco
11-24-2015, 11:09 PM
I saw an online site had the gauge and modified case on sale and just couldn't resist.
After using it the first time I am SHOCKED :shock:
I checked my Weatherby 7mm Rem Mag. and have been using what I thought would be good lengths from my Lyman loading Manual.
The numbers that are given will obviously work, as I have used them before. After actually measuring I find my favorite load is about .010 long for my chamber.
Now ... have any of you been using the gauge? Could I be doing something wrong? I did tap the length pin while holding the aluminum rod. I tried several techniques and several Jacketed things from the same box with like results....
So what now?

ozarkhillbilly49
11-26-2015, 05:18 AM
+ .010 into the lands ain't to bad.some rifles like there bullets jumped into the lands a few thousandths. some like there bullets off the lands a few. the oal gauge is a tool that will help you experiment and find out what your rifle really likes. lots of layers in reloading! some folks just want to make a decent hunting load. others want to experiment and wring ever bit of accuracy they can from load and rifle. enjoy your new tool . have fun!

Blanco
11-26-2015, 10:20 PM
I know ... it's that reloading bug thing...It will be interesting to compare the accuracy of different OAL's now that I know what the magik number is.

EDG
11-26-2015, 11:00 PM
That gauge might be useful if you record the data but it will not tell you the best length to use. You have to shoot to find that out.

I have used the corresponding "headspace gauge" a lot and I find it much more useful for set my Fl dies to give .000 to .001 clearance between the case shoulder and the chamber shoulder. I find that helps accuracy as much as meddling with the OAL.