PDA

View Full Version : Kudus to Pat Marlins

Vern Humphrey
11-24-2015, 07:06 PM
I ordered a .225 PB Checkmaker from Pat Marlins. It took a while to try it out -- Pat recommends cutting your coke can material with a paper cutter and I couldn't find one in town (I live about 10 miles outside a VERY small town.) Today I had to take the wife to a larger town for a doctor's appointment, and found a paper cutter there.

After scratching my head and cussing a bit, I got the Checkmaker set up (I ain't the most mechanically talented guy on the block.) I got the strips cut, the disks cut out and started to make my first gas checks. And the ejector wouldn't work on my Lyman Spar-T press. The short leg of the ejector was too short and the shaft of the lifter kept missing it. The long leg was so long that the whole thing stuck out past the primer arm attachment, and would simply fall out at each stroke of the press.:veryconfu

I emailed Pat back and forth. Pat was patient with me and he finally told me the ejector is simply 3/8" keystock, available at any hardware store. With the knowledge that I could make a replacement if I screwed the ejector up, I measured it carefully, cut about 1/2" off the long leg and it works perfectly.

I spent the rest of the afternoon making teeny tiny little bottle caps.~

Tailhunter
11-24-2015, 09:56 PM
That in and of itself is worth a lot.

Retumbo
11-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Pat and all his CNC stuff and customers still have to modify his stuff.

I had to modify mine too on a lee press.

PatMarlin
11-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Ha! ... oh geez..

Yes- with "all my CNC stuff" I only offer 2 styles of Ram Ejector Arms that work on most all presses customers own.

So for the off (my) list and not so common presses, we find ways to adapt and make it work.

Great Job Vern! ...:drinks:

My customers know if they have any issues with their dies operation, I'm here to help them, and we'll continue to keep costs down.

Happy Thanksgiving!

hockeynick39
12-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Wow, this Retumbo guy has it out for you Pat! BTW, whatever his problem is, he probably budda'd up some stuff and didn't read the directions. Anyway, I DO like Pat's CheckMakers and will more than likely be putting in an order for a few more in January. Thanks Pat, always good stuff!!!!!!!!!

Retumbo
12-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Actually I make my own now... and always have to laugh when Pat bemoans how hard they are to make.

BTW, I have said before he has decent check makers which make decent checks. I just copied the better design ;)

PatMarlin
12-09-2015, 05:03 PM
You're just becoming my best gascheck Pal Retumbo, and look forward to your posts.

But you miss one point- making gas check dies are easy. Anyone with a bit of machining skill can do that and make their own dies.

Running a successful manufacturing company, supplying product to 1000's of customers over the years, keeping machines running, and provide accurate dies from one to the other consistently is a huge accomplishment. Earning a reloader's business reorder after reorder is as well.

Most people have no idea what that entails. Most that start find out fast and quit.

Retumbo
12-09-2015, 05:52 PM
What can I say. I like your product just not the high school girl drama that is you.

PatMarlin
12-09-2015, 07:42 PM
I fully understand Retumbo...

Cast boolits used to be a place where guys could hang out. Share ideas... Support each other's projects and goals... and have fun discussing our hobby and sport... Truly respect the years of knowledge some members have had to contribute here...

I'm confident it still can be.

Hillary Clinton says "It takes a village"

Now It just takes one guy at CB ...:mrgreen:

uh... got to get back to work... lol

freebullet
12-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Retumbo
Read the thread again then, ask yourself which person posting on it sounds like a little high school girl. You should go start your own thread about how awesome your check makers are. A top notch tutorial about making them could be useful, what your contribution here in this thread has been is not.

I don't make checks but, if I was gonna I would appreciate the service Pat is known for.

Tailhunter
12-10-2015, 08:31 AM
^^^^ this right here.

oldcanadice
12-10-2015, 12:08 PM
A fine gentleman Pat is, tho I think perhaps he worries too much about the trolls. I think it fun to bait them and wish he could enjoy this old-guy kind of mischief.

Pat's PB gas checks are a very nice item. Work like a charm; just like him.

Tailhunter
12-10-2015, 07:47 PM
The trolls get ugly too, not sure why but they do.

RogerDat
12-10-2015, 08:31 PM
You know I bought a shelf - a canning jar shelf. Basic stamped metal, little holes for bolts and little nuts. 90* angle steel for legs. Half of the bloody shelves had NOT been fed square into the stamping press. The finish was pathetic and they managed to design a folded edge that actually blocked the hole for the bolt going though the folded edge. Mind blowing lack of quality for a simple basic product, backed by no one and nothing. Brand is carried in several big name stores, very popular I guess but not with repeat business I bet.

My point is here on the other hand we have a discussion of a well made product, made here in the US of A by a person that cares about the quality and providing good customer service. This to me is what I was brought up to think of as having good character. Bad mouthing this person for not being someone's favorite design, or maybe for doing something not "all that hard for a competent machinist". Which is sort of like saying not all that hard if you have a large amount of money invested in equipment and space for the equipment, and knowledge of how to use it. Sort of like saying hitting the x with a pistol at 100 yards ain't that hard if you have a good gun, the right ammo, and plenty of skill developed through practice.

To my way of thinking about the only bad thing you can say about a business that makes a product that works as intended and as advertised by someone that stands behind their work is "I prefer a different brand, flavor or color" Otherwise you basically are saying more about your own character than you are the manufacturer when you bad mouth them.

From what I see the two guys that build and sell check making equipment don't trash talk each other, maybe that is because they know what it takes to make that business a success so they have more respect for each other than folks that don't know any better.

Smoke4320
12-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Well said RogerDat

Fishman
12-14-2015, 05:16 AM
Well said RogerDat

I agree!

Pee Wee
12-15-2015, 07:15 AM
Can' we all just get along

exile
12-15-2015, 09:53 AM
I will (hopefully) be purchasing one of Patmarlin's products to go with my new NOE 60 grain .223 mold after Christmas. Looking forward to it.

exile

Blair
12-15-2015, 10:51 AM
I have 5 of Pat's Checkmakers for gas checked bullets in rifle calibers

Have 3 handgun caliber Checkmakers for gas checked bullets on order

I am well satisfied with his work and product

Any time that I have had a question about me not understanding something, he is quick to respond and get me back on the right track.