PDA

View Full Version : Oven cleaner

abunaitoo
11-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Has anyone tried spray oven cleaner for Milsup barrels????
It's made to dissolve baked on carbon.
I wonder if it help remove carbon in the barrel.

country gent
11-24-2015, 09:22 PM
We used oven cleaner to remove burnt on oils and greases during rebuilds of air compressors and other equipment. Be aware most paints finishes dont stand up to it very well. Being in a food plane we were somewhat limited what could be used and where at in the plant. It does remove all oils so rust and or vapor etching may be an issue at times on bare metals. Not sure if blueing or parkerizing will hold up to it also. But it may work. Boat shops used to sell Mercery quick silver spray foam engine cleaner that was a carbon cutter for out board motors that did work good.

leebuilder
11-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Never used it to clean barrels, we would use it to clean gas ports and pistons. Soak and wipe beat scrubing.
i will have to try it.
Be well

Petrol & Powder
11-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Some oven cleaners are basically sodium hydroxide, commonly known as lye. It will attack most soft metals like aluminum, brass, etc. and release hydrogen, so use with care. It will also eat up most paints, finishes and some plastics. I'd keep it away from the wood parts and use it outdoors only due to the gases that it will release.

Be Careful !

abunaitoo
11-27-2015, 04:50 AM
I might just try it.

Moonie
12-05-2015, 05:17 PM
it'll strip the seasoning off of cast iron without hurting it...

leeggen
12-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Yes sireee Moonie it will clean cast iron pots very well. I thought my mom was going to skin me alive when I was younger. I thought I would be real nice and scrubb all the cast iron cookware so as none of that black junk was still on it. Needless to say I was several days reseasoning her cast iron. We used oven cleaner to clean engine heads at home for the cars. worked pretty good, sure beat all that scraping.
CD

Le Loup Solitaire
12-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Lye or caustic soda is a known way to remove buildup/crud/baked or whatever from cast iron. Red Devil once sold as a drain cleaner was a source of it. Pieces of cookware could be and was immersed in it for days until clean. The Lye/caustic soda would not attack the cast iron itself. Vinegar which contained acetic acid could also be used on cast iron for a while, but it would also attack the metal and etch it as well as ruin it if allowed to continue too long. None of this seems to be the stuff you want in a gun barrel or near the finish/bluing. LLS