PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting on a T/C percussion

OverMax
11-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Here's the deal. MN Game Officials just gave its older muzzle loader hunters a break this year. We 60 year and older folks can now use a scope for our B/P_ Big Game hunting. (deer)
I really don't want to invest in a inline for its ease of scoping. As I already own a T/C Hawken Perc 45 and shoot it quite well out to 75-80 yards with confidence but seldom shoot beyond 100 period. (my deer stand has only a open field view of about 150 yards.) My Hawken has at times a G/M LRH (stainless) installed when fresh deer tracks around my stand call for the T/C barrel change out. (i.e. split hoof & big dew claws) otherwise its usually toted around with its RD Ball Only barrel.
Perhaps you fellows can offer me some advice/opinions.

Are there concerns when scoping a traditional? (special drillings other than factory, hammer clearance, problem things of that nature to be aware of?)

Who online stocks the parts I need?

Would the scoping of my Hawken with its G/M stainless barrel be worth the bother?

Thanks for your commenting,

Outpost75
11-24-2015, 12:32 PM
When I used a scope on my T/C Hawken I used a Leupold 4X-LER handgun scope mounted forward on its Green Mountain LRH barrel, using a Weaver 63 base and low rings. You may need top drill and tap a couple holes, depending on when your LRH barrel was made. Later ones came drilled and tapped for the Weaver base. I still have the scope, which I no longer use. Shows some cosmetic dings from hunting use, but still clear optics. Scope has seven BP deer to its credit. $150 shipped in SFRB if interested. I'm using a Tritium lighted Trijicon now.

bubba.50
11-24-2015, 01:22 PM
T/C made scope mounts/bases for their traditional muzzlers that use the rear sight holes and the small hole at the rear in the top of the breechplug so's ya didn't hafta drill & tap any extra holes in the barrel. they're discontinued now but, you can usually find one or two floatin' around on evil-bay or gunbroker.

OverMax
11-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Bubba: I looked around and found a mount on G/broker for my Hawken. But it appears to be a (single-piece) bolt on base. Question: Is there another major part to mount that's not been included in the package seen?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=524990453

bubba.50
11-24-2015, 04:26 PM
that mount replaces the rear sight & is used with long eye-relief scopes that T/C & Bushnell used to sell that had a rail on the bottom of the scope.

check out gunbroker item # 525947668 it is a mount for the T/C Hawken that includes see-through rings & has a built-in sight. it is silver colored but, a shot of flat-black Rustoleum would fix that.

duckey
11-24-2015, 05:31 PM
I beleive my TC Grey hawk was scoped the way bubba.50 is speaking about. I still have the rings and the rail that I bought form TC. They are grey Stainless rings with an aluminum bar that screws on top of the barrel. I ended up taking the scope off (Bushnell Sportview) as I preferred iron sights for hunting in thick woods.

M-Tecs
11-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Depending on scope and mounts you may have clearance issues with the hammer.

bubba.50
11-24-2015, 06:02 PM
the T/C factory mounts are offset to the left so there is no issues with clearance. the gunbroker item I referenced above is a mount by Ironsighter that has built-in see-through rings that allow abundant clearance.

fouronesix
11-24-2015, 06:30 PM
It's easy to mount a scope on the barrel flats of a ML. Weaver and maybe others have all manner of flat bottom bases that can be easily cut and/or drilled for the purpose. If you mount an LER or IER scope far enough forward for the ocular to clear the hammer and nipple, it's a good idea to fashion a flash deflector to protect the scope lens. A simple curved piece of brass sheet with a hole large enough for the nipple to go though and tighten down works very well. Track of the Wolf and others sell those deflector "cones" already made. But it's simple to fashion one for near no cost though.

Good Cheer
11-24-2015, 09:10 PM
With the nice machining of the flats on TC 15/16" and 1" barrels...
Why hasn't there been a mass marketed clamp-on design scope mount made for use with pistol scopes?

OverMax
11-25-2015, 12:45 AM
Why hasn't there been a mass marketed clamp-on design scope mount made for use with pistol scopes? Thats a good question. Maybe there just hasn't been enough interest for such a mounting. I had a Ruger Red Hawk with rings. Leupld 2 X LER installed. Never could get adjusted to shooting it. Had so many scope black outs while still hunting on jumped deer. I gave up and thought it best to shoot its iron sights instead. Sold that Ruger and bought another stainless 7 1/2"_ R/Hawk wo/ rings. Been please with my current revolver since. Quick sighted shots are a piece of cake now.

Thanks Bubba 50 for the link. Since the seller is not all that far away from me. I'm going to see if I can make a better deal over the phone instead. You're right that silvery color has to go. >gee whiz it might scare the game.< You're idea of a flat black paint job is most appropriate._ No doubt about that.> lol

triggerhappy243
11-25-2015, 12:50 AM
because most everyone is abandoning real muzzleloaders.