PDA

View Full Version : First handgun and first cast boolit kill!

bremraf
11-24-2015, 12:16 AM
So thanks go the awesome advice of 44man, and the help of Thumbcocker's boolits I scored 2 firsts on the opening day of Illinois firearms season! I hunt public land, so I have to pack in my stand and everything opening morning. I get out there, and wait.... And wait. Then I decide to move my stand about 10:30 in the morning cause I haven't seen anything. I get that done and wait some more. About 2 o'clock, between drifting off to sleep I hear something behind me, here come 3 does full speed ahead. As I turn to try and kill the lead doe, the second one busts me and blows! Shoot! Rookie mistake on my part. They all run off full tilt. As I stand there disappointed in myself(by this time I've turned around and stood up in my treestand), another deer comes right up to the stand and stopped quartering toward me. I cock the hammer and let her fly! The deer flinches but doesn't really go anywhere. I'm thinking, what the heck dude! So once more I cock the SBH's hammer and boom! This time I connect and this deer runs off about 70 yards and crashes. I immediately get down and by the time I get over to him he's deader than dead. As my adrenaline was pumping like crazy I didn't realize I had just shot and killed a button buck. I normally would prefer to kill a bigger doe or mature buck, but hey it'll eat good. The load and boolit performed well, and I actually found a fragment of the boolit in his shoulder. Wound in pic is exit, he was only about 15 yards away, boolit entered top of shoulder and turned his insides into mush. Thanks so much to the guys who helped make this possible, and if y'all are ever in west central IL stop by I'll cook ya some venison brats. 154053

dougader
11-24-2015, 12:23 AM
Great job, you anchored some meat for the freezer!

DougGuy
11-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Ain't nothing like the first kill with a new gun.

My first .45 Colt kill took down two with one shot. On my birthday. I was like oh hell yeah!

35 shooter
11-24-2015, 05:10 AM
Congrats on the double firsts! That will be some fine eating for sure.

Hickok
11-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Great!

I see you fixed that Super Blackhawk so it doesn't bust your ring finger. Mine gets my finger once in a while. That dang square trigger guard....:groner:

bremraf
11-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the props guys. When I first purchased the hogue grip I hated how it felt in my hand. After several range sessions my curiosity got me to try it and I'm glad I did. I love it and I do believe I shoot better with it too.

white eagle
11-24-2015, 08:06 AM
I want to congratulate you on your first handgun/boolit kill
its going to be a tasty treat for sure,nothing like it
your assist could not have come from two better people
enjoy :bigsmyl2:

missionary5155
11-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Greetings Bremraf and Congratulations !
Thank you for the good write up ! Welcome to the "Pistolero Corn Cruncher Puncher" league ! Well done !
I use Ultra Dots on my hunting revolvers also in East ILLinos river bottoms. Button bucks are all tasty eating right to the bone !
Mike in Peru

petroid
11-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Congrats, my mouth is watering already.

Thumbcocker
11-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Great job! Glad you were able you make it come together. I'm afraid you are well and truly hooked but there are lots worse things to be hooked on. Good job staying on the stand as long as it took. Glad the boolits worked for you. Used the same boolit and almost same powder charge on my deer on Sunday. Congratulations.

Swede44mag
11-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Congratulations on your first handgun deer.

I took a nice doe with my S&W 44mag after sitting and freezing.
It came out in front of me I cocked the hammer back squeezed the trigger and nothing.
I tried again with the same results the hammer spur was catching on the web of my cotton gloved hand.
I walked about 50 yards where I had seen the doe enter the weeds she ran crossways in front of me so I took a running shot.
Drew fast aimed center of the doe jerked the trigger no time to squeeze she ran off.
Darn I thought I had missed walked into the weeds she was laying there with a dead center shot.
Last day of deer season I was a happy camper.

Blammer
11-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Outstanding!

Hamish
11-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Always glad to hear, congrats, and it's easy to tell you're hooked for life!