PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting RCBS 41mag Seater/Crimp Die

Sam Casey
11-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Getting back into reloading metallics. Doing fine with 222, but can't seem to get get my 41mag seater/crimp die adjusted. Finished product not consistent. Can someone give me a simplified step by step. Read & re-read RCBS instructions, but must be missing something. Thanks

ReloaderFred
11-23-2015, 09:15 PM
If you're trying to seat and crimp in one motion, that can cause problems. My suggestion is to either have a separate crimping die, or back your seat/crimp die out just enough that it won't crimp when the bullets are seated, but will seat to the Over All Length (OAL) you're looking for. Then back the seating stem out and lower the die enough to form the crimp.

Of course, this means adjusting the die twice, but should solve your problem. The easiest solution though, is what I do, and that's to have a separate crimp die for all my handgun calibers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

cainttype
11-23-2015, 09:34 PM
1st, make sure your casings are all the same length. 2nd, match your seater plug as closely as you can to your projectile (Soft nose bullets that deform can vary seating depth, causing issues).
Take a flared casing to the top of your ram's stroke, then screw your crimp die down (with seater plug backed out, out of the way... even if there is a bullet sitting in the case mouth) until you feel the die's crimping shoulder touch the case mouth's flair. STOP...now back the die up a half turn.
Place a bullet into the case mouth (if you used an empty case to find your crimp shoulder) and bring the round to the top of the stroke again... Screw your seater plug down until it contacts the bullet... Now you can lower the ram and adjust the seater plug a little at a time, raising the ram to check your progress, until you have the bullet seated to the depth you want.
Now... BACK OFF the seating plug again, out of the way!

Raise your ram, with the flared case that has a properly seated bullet, back to the top.
You can now adjust your die back to where you felt the crimp shoulder earlier (seater plug is backed-out, right???). After contact with the shoulder is made, you will adjust the die lower to crimp the amount you want. Lower the ram, turn the die a little at a time, keep checking your progress till you're satisfied.
When your crimp is good, set your die's lock ring... That's crimp.
Now, with your loaded round all the way up into your die, bring the seater plug down to firmly contact the bullet again. That should reset your seating depth to the crimp amount you desire.

Many people prefer to seat in one operation, then crimp in another.

Mk42gunner
11-24-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm not going to type it all again, but cainttype described exactly how I do it.

When the seat/ crimp die is adjusted properly, I get zero lead shaving while seating and crimping in one stroke.

Robert

Sam Casey
11-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks to all! Will try adjusting per cainttype tonight. If I decide to try separate crimp die, is Lee the way to go?

LUCKYDAWG13
11-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Yes the Lee crimp die work but I like the one built-in the RCBS die

williamwaco
11-24-2015, 03:30 PM
That is a good description of adjusting but the first one should be done with an empty unprimed case. You will produce a dummy round that can be used to adjust the die instantly in the future.

Sam Casey
11-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Another good suggestion, but that dummy will need to have brass same length as will be used in production. Just ran 6; all but one came out great. The less perfect one had brass that was maybe 1/32 or less short. Proves the importance of adjusting die to brass of uniform length. I am going to need a 41 collet and guide for my trimmer.

jetinteriorguy
11-25-2015, 07:15 AM
Another easy way to crimp and not have to be as precise with all case lengths being identical is to crimp with the Lee Collet crimp die. I've been using one of these for my .357 for a while and love it, so I ordered one for my .41 and it's being delivered today. It's a special order so just contact Titan and they'll tell you how to order one. It cost about $36.00 with shipping.

kweidner
12-19-2015, 01:53 PM
I do as stated above. Once I lock ring it stays there. Next time I goto seat a put flat washer then screw die in. I use my dummy for setting the length seat all I need. Take washer out and crimp is same as last batch. I always trim revolver stuff. My air weight in 41 will really let em grow if I don't use a consistent good crimp. Simple and repeatable.