PDA

View Full Version : Did a quick try with the new one

armoredman
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Out of about 200 cast, I got 8 usable. lots of wrinkled boolits, not enough lead in to dip a cornerto preheat, just a bad start, short on time, so I didn't get it going right. A little finning at one point, easily overcome.
Will try again in a day or so!

HORNET
04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Sometimes the best thing to do IS to shut things down and try another day. Wait 'till you've got time to play around and figure out what's going wrong. Otherwise, you'd be surprised at how far you can throw a mold...........

badgeredd
04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Sometimes the best thing to do IS to shut things down and try another day. Wait 'till you've got time to play around and figure out what's going wrong. Otherwise, you'd be surprised at how far you can throw a mold...........

Wacha saying HORNET?

runfiverun
04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
i would not be surprised
the neighbors garage door stopped the last one

armoredman
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I can't afford a new mould, this one doesn't get thrown! :-D I am planning on trying again tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on time available.
BTW, I should have said this is the Lee CTL 312-160-2R. The 8 good boolits were lubed, sized, and 4 loaded in the last four 303 brass I have empty. Now I HAVE to get to the dadgum range!:Fire:

runfiverun
04-15-2008, 12:27 PM
armoredman
scrrub in boiling water and a little dawn,scrub,scrub.
toothbrush, scrub.

dubber123
04-15-2008, 12:50 PM
The scrubbing is a must, but there are many ways to pre-heat a mould, the hot plate idea is very handy, but you can use a gas or electric stove, or a propane torch too. I used a torch for years until I got a hotplate.

Getting them clean and hot will get you making good bullets right from the start. Better luck next time.

bushka
04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I always start with the heat floored on 10,acetone scrub the entire mold with brass bristle brush,preheat with propane torch to also smoke out any remaining oil.

armoredman
04-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks, guys, plenty of time to scrub now...my vent fan died, can't cast until it's replaced.

Ken
04-16-2008, 09:40 AM
I used a toothbrush and carburator cleaner on my new mould, good bullets in no time.
I heat the mould by setting it on top of the pot. Mould heats as the lead melts. No problems at all.

trickyasafox
04-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I use a pot I got at wally world for 5 or 6 bucks- It only gets used to clean cosmoline and molds. Add water and powder detergent, scrub after 10 minutes, boil again, scrub and dry.

To heat the mold just leave it on the pot while the lead melts, gets it up to just the right casting temp for me!