PDA

View Full Version : scope or iron sights?

tdoyka
11-23-2015, 05:51 PM
i'm telling you that i have had a stroke, right arm/leg doesn't work, and that i use trail boss (have like 1 1/2 cans of tb(9oz)).

i use a ruger super redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel that uses the 44 rem mag. i found that 7.0gr of trail boss and a 220gr(230gr actually) wadcutter can usually group 2-3"at 25 yards(5 shots). right now, i can kill a deer at 25-30 yards. i would like to take it out to 50 yards if i can get my wheelgun to shoot at 2-3" at 50yards. if the wadcutter doesn't tumble, it can kill a deer at 50 yards.

the sights are factory issued. i have a hard time trying to line up the sights at 50 yards 'cuz the front sight is but a blur of organe to me. i've been thinking of getting a williams sight but i remembered i do have a 2-6x swift(pistol) scope. since money is tight, i can get a iron sight or i can used the swift pistol scope. which do i choose? my eyesight has been checked and its still 20 20.

Whiterabbit
11-23-2015, 06:08 PM
If the front sight is a blur of organe, 20/20 or not, my choice would be to run the swift pistol scope. There is less risk involved, or more probability of success. Either way.

The only down side is the guarantee of poor aesthetics and difficult field handling. Neither of which mean much I imagine, when dinner is on the table.

kungfustyle
11-23-2015, 06:13 PM
My Blackhawk was shooting about 6" high with iron sights so I got a scope and didn't look back. If you look at my avatar that's my gun/scope and a 50 yard target with three round about 2 1/2". Works for me. My scope is a 2x fixed. The same target at 75 or 100 get's pretty small. I shoot my 357 4" with iron sight but only out to about 25 yards. Scope it and try it out.

paul h
11-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Go with the scope. A super redhawk should easily group 2" at 50 yds, and with some load work 1" 50 yd groups shouldn't be an issue with good boolits.

The two downsides to a scope are they don't pack as nicely and it's heavier for offhand shooting.

Blackwater
11-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Tdoyka, many of us are finding ourselves more and more challenged by many diverse things year after year. If I'd taken better care of myself along the way, I'd be in better shape, but that doesn't help much, does it? It's great to see you undaunted by these things, and I admire your resolve and effort. Sure takes more of that effort thing than it once did, doesn't it?

As to the sights, I'd vote for one of the small mini dots with the heads up display. They are called "the old man's friend" for a reason! I've only got one, a cheap one at that, on a .22 Ruger auto, but it's amazing how well it suits most of us. They're small, light, and good ones are pretty tough. I baby my cheapie, but a .44 may require a more spendy sight. The weight and balance of a scoped revolver is just something that I could never quite get used to or warm up to. I don't like the top heavy feel, but that's just me, and many aren't bothered by that, and like the extra weight since it dampens recoil.

Best thing to do is, if you know someone with a red dot and a scope, see if they'll let you fire a few rounds, and from that experience, at least you'll know which you tend to feel most comfortable with and confident in. Good luck, and again, I've got a feeling I wouldn't want to be a deer this season where you're hunting!

Hick
11-24-2015, 01:38 AM
I have plastic lenses in both eyes (cataract surgery)-- so I can see the target but not focus on the front bead. I put a Williams peep sight on my 30-30. Somehow, the tiny hole in the peep sight has a focus effect and makes the front bead sharp and clear. I don't know the details about why a peep works that way, but it really works.

Whiterabbit
11-24-2015, 01:44 AM
Reduced aperture increases depth of focus. You can get them for your shooting glasses to increase focus even more

tdoyka
11-24-2015, 03:40 AM
i have a redfield 102 peep sight that i have to put on my 1898 spr armory in 30-40 krag. i might do the same. warren ( http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html ) sights may be the solution.

i don't want to scope my 44 mag but i will if i have too. 25-30 yards is plenty far when your holding a handgun with only one hand and a bog pod. 30-50 yards i need a bog pod and primos lift and lock to make sure i hit the target. the front sight that ruger uses is just too big for my taste:lol:. its tough to see, let alone find exactly where i should hit behind the shoulder at 30-50 yards.

does anybody use warrens one hole sight?

tdoyka
11-24-2015, 03:57 AM
blackwater,

my dad uses a green/red dot on a heads up display for his contender. he really likes it. i think, don't quote me on this, but it a tru glo multirecticle one. i had a red dot scope on the ruger srh that i sold many moons ago. if i had the money, i would do it again. the ruger srh in 44 mag would go 2" groups at 100 yards with the 200gr xtp with a load of win296 were basically the rule.
oh well, you learn these things!
now my ruger can ride around with me on my polaris ranger and walk[smilie=l: 25' to my stand. anything under 30 yards gets with the 44. anything over 30 yards, my 444 can handle it.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-24-2015, 08:27 AM
does anybody use warrens one hole sight?[/QUOTE]

I tried one like that it didn't work for me maybe it will for you give it a try

charlie b
11-24-2015, 09:34 PM
I'd go with the scope. I have found that I have trouble with red dots on pistols. I just can't raise the pistol up and see the dot without 'wiggling' it around a bit. Yes, I've tried four different kinds including the Cmore and Fastfire.

I do well with a scope. I had both on my Python at one time or another and the scope was much easier for me to use. It is a 3x Leupold and was better in low light than the red dots as well. YMMV.

FWIW, my rifles have peep sights. Garand, M94, TC Hawken, Lyman inline ML, .22 auto and all work well. The ML's were used for Elk.

PS the Fastfire is now on my airgun for squirrels :)

murf205
11-25-2015, 07:00 PM
tdoyka, I don't know how it will work for you on your gun but for me(I'm getting blind as a bat too) the 2x scope was the way to go if you are going to make a shot past 30-40 yds. Get a deer sized target and prop it up at 75 yds and try a couple of shots. The SRH front sight covers a lot of target @ 75-100 yds. If you still have 20/20 vision, give it a try without the scope. You'll see some wiggles with the scope so use a rest for sure. I use a trigger stick and couldn't hunt without it. Let us know(pics) the difference when you try it at 75yds.
Murf205

Plastikosmd
11-25-2015, 07:39 PM
I shoot scopes on my pistols for accuracy but I enjoy my irons more. I love aperture shooting on rifles. I would consider something for the glasses first if it were me

junkpile
11-30-2015, 12:04 AM
I don't like scopes on my handguns. I've gotten old enough and stubborn enough that I don't like scopes on most of my long guns, either. I have them on a few for specific purposes, but the guns I have set up for 300 meters and less don't get them. Its just extra weight and fuss in my opinion. I'm sure others have different views.

However, given your eye difficulties, and the fact that you already have the scope, I think you should mount it and try it. You'll know pretty quickly if its to your liking or not. If you don't like it, try some shooting glasses, or something else to give you the advantage needed.

I know that my grandpa shot his entire life without a scope. And his eyes were terrible by the time he retired. I don't think this was due to him being an amazing shooter. I think it was due to him being familiar with his guns and confident in his shooting. So, use the advantages you have. We're not perfect, and we live in a fallen world, so, just keep shooting. Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it more... Irritate your wife... Annoy your children.

Use whatever advantages you can, but keep in mind, our greatest advantage is ammunition.

Whiterabbit
11-30-2015, 12:37 AM
I know that my grandpa shot his entire life without a scope. And his eyes were terrible by the time he retired. I don't think this was due to him being an amazing shooter. I think it was due to him being familiar with his guns and confident in his shooting.

I get beat every muzzleloading competition by people twice my age complaining that they cannot see the target when we move to 50 yards. And not just "barely" beat, either.