PDA

View Full Version : Custom seater die

james nicholson
11-23-2015, 12:35 PM
I got this idea from reading about ThePerfessor's work with top punches. Has anyone used the epoxy/jbweld, in their seating die. I load Lee 150 gr flat points in my 30-30, my Pacific seater die leaves a ring around the nose of the bullet that is rather pronounced. I would like to eliminate this ring if possible, Thanks, James

Char-Gar
11-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I got this idea from reading about ThePerfessor's work with top punches. Has anyone used the epoxy/jbweld, in their seating die. I load Lee 150 gr flat points in my 30-30, my Pacific seater die leaves a ring around the nose of the bullet that is rather pronounced. I would like to eliminate this ring if possible, Thanks, James

No epoxy etc, but I do turn the factory seating stem flat. This works with any bullet with a flat spot on the nose. Takes about 2 minutes with the lathe.

dudel
11-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Nothing as drastic as jbweld, but I stuff a bit of paper towel with some boolit lube into the seating stem. It forms itself to the projectile's profile. Pop it out with a pick when you no longer need it.

pistolshooter
11-26-2015, 10:27 AM
I have used the JB Weld method several times. I put the seater stem ( or top punch) upside down in my vise and clean the bullet nose area with lacquer thinner and let it dry. I then take a bullet and put a light coat of grease on the nose, making sure all of the nose area gets lightly covered. Mix up the JB Weld or epoxy and put a small dab on the stem nose area and gently place the bullet on it, pushing the nose into the mix a bit. Make sure it is straight, then wipe off the excess. Leave it alone for an hour or so and you are good to go. The bullet will lift off easily.
I have also used my hot glue gun with good success. Same process except that I heat the stem a little before putting on a dab of glue. Seems to make the glue stick better.