PDA

View Full Version : need copper shot to go behind set screws....where to get em?

mozeppa
11-22-2015, 07:18 PM
title sez it all.

needed are about 40 copper shots to keep from damaging my sprue plate bolts.
i found bits of copper shot in a few molds....this seems to work.
someone suggested lead shot....won't they melt inside the mold?

williamwaco
11-22-2015, 07:21 PM
title sez it all.

needed are about 40 copper shots to keep from damaging my sprue plate bolts.
i found bits of copper shot in a few molds....this seems to work.
someone suggested lead shot....won't they melt inside the mold?

I have used lead for years. Never noticed it melting. Don't need shot. Just cut a small piece of a sprue dripping.

country gent
11-22-2015, 07:37 PM
A piece of heavy copper wire can be stripped of insulation and cut to a short length and used also. Lead shot works well, make sure its lead and not tungsten or steel shot. One I have considered it the plastic air soft bbs but they may be to big. I told an electrition at work I need a short piece of copper wire roughly 1/8" in dia and He graciously got me 18" of it. ( one hand washes the other here, I made him a new extractor for his boys old single shot 410 LOL) Im still using from that length of wire, it may be down to 16" or so now.

Calamity Jake
11-22-2015, 07:48 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^THIS, works real good.

reddog81
11-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Your mold shouldn't be hot enough to melt lead otherwise you bullets would never become solid. With that said I used 2 small strands of copper chore boy yesterday and it worked fine.

Norbrat
11-22-2015, 09:09 PM
I use cut pieces from a silver solder rod.

Petrol & Powder
11-22-2015, 09:20 PM
I think country gent has the right idea.

alamogunr
11-23-2015, 12:54 PM
I've used copper wire(Country Gent) and a small piece of solid wire solder. Then my OCD took over and I ordered various sizes of set screws with copper tips. Expensive and not worth it considering that other methods work just as well. The special set screws will scratch an itch but only you can decide if it is worth it.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-23-2015, 01:07 PM
The wire method should be fine but if you want it to be round, take a small piece of brass or silver solder wire put it on a brick, and melt it with a gas torch. If it isn't big enough to flatten out, surface tension will make it globular. I did it with a little pencil torch of the kind you fill from a lighter gas canister, and I don't see how any hobbyist gets by without one of those.

Wayne Smith
11-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Go to your closet - you know, the one with the pull string light cord. There is a piece of brass bead chain above the string. Take one of those beads, they work well. Or, alternatively, go to the hardware store and get your own brass bead chain!

Elkins45
11-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Go to your closet - you know, the one with the pull string light cord. There is a piece of brass bead chain above the string. Take one of those beads, they work well. Or, alternatively, go to the hardware store and get your own brass bead chain!

Hadn't thought of that...thanks for the good idea.

I was going to suggest nipping a little bit of 12 house wire but a couple of others beat me to it.