PDA

View Full Version : getting started....

capvan
11-22-2015, 10:12 AM
I've been casting for some time and using tumble lube. I'd like to get away from the mess and go to using a lube press.

I've been looking over the Midway catalog (where I buy most things, but not always) and am getting really confused. I need a press (leaning towards the RCBS lube-a-matic) molds, top punch and sizing die. Tons of confusion trying to put all of this together. I shoot mainly .223 and .30.

I'm looking for a shopping list that I can use to buy all of these pieces that work together. I use mainly Lee molds due to cost and I've had good luck with them.

Can someone take the time to put together a list for me? I've thought of calling Midway, but that might not work, given past experience.

Thanks in advance...

Capvan

str8shot426
11-22-2015, 10:48 AM
You will be happy with a rcbs lube sizer. They work well.

Aside from the lam2 you will need lube dies in the size you want your boolits to finish at. The nose punches are boolit specific. You will need a nose punch for each bullet design. Rcbs makes punches for all there bullet designs. Lyman lube dies and nose punches also work in the rcbs. There is a cross reference chart out there for lee molds.

For example: for 308 caliber using lee 150 FN you will need.
-Lam 2
-Boolit lube of your choice. (The lam2 comes with one lube stick)
-.309 lube die
- Lyman nose punch #8

Someone please post the link to the lee cross reference top punch chart. I found it very helpful as I use quite a few lee molds myself.

Hope this helps. Others are soon to chime in.

capvan
11-22-2015, 10:57 AM
You will be happy with a rcbs lube sizer. They work well.

Aside from the lam2 you will need lube dies in the size you want your boolits to finish at. The nose punches are boolit specific. You will need a nose punch for each bullet design. Rcbs makes punches for all there bullet designs. Lyman lube dies and nose punches also work in the rcbs. There is a cross reference chart out there for lee molds.

For example: for 308 caliber using lee 150 FN you will need.
-Lam 2
-Boolit lube of your choice. (The lam2 comes with one lube stick)
-.309 lube die
- Lyman nose punch #8

Someone please post the link to the lee cross reference top punch chart. I found it very helpful as I use quite a few lee molds myself.

Hope this helps. Others are soon to chime in.

I know what I need. I just need catalog numbers, etc. to order a "set" of stuff to do what I want...

cap

Mike W1
11-22-2015, 06:55 PM
http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-library/top-punch-references

Hope this will be helpful. Most of the time you have to order that stuff separately. Don't think you're going to find a "set" as such.

capvan
11-22-2015, 08:45 PM
http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-library/top-punch-references

Hope this will be helpful. Most of the time you have to order that stuff separately. Don't think you're going to find a "set" as such.

Yes, I know a "set" will not be available.
I am hoping that someone will supply me with the detailed information that will result in my purchase of items that will comprise a "set". What a member is using for 30 cal would be a good start. I am casting for an M1, which I am getting great accuracy from with tumble lubed cast boolits. 4 inch groups at 100 yds. With my old (68) eyes and iron sights, I'm pretty happy with this.

cap

Yodogsandman
11-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Do you use a Lee push-thru sizer now in your press?

capvan
11-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Yes. It's .309, which seems to be working well. I'm just trying to get away from the mess of using Alox. Years ago, I used a lube press (sold it, dang it!) and got some really nice boolits out of it. Trying to return to yesteryear....

cap

capvan
11-23-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm located in Windsor, VT. Nice to see someone from our neighbor.

Yodogsandman
11-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey neighbor! Keep this to yourself, it's kind of a secret but, I think some others already know....

I'm going in just the opposite direction. I'm finding that BLL, Ben's Liquid Lube is great for everything. No mess, dries non-sticky and quick to apply. BLL is 60% Lee Liquid Alox mixed with 40% Johnsons Liquid Floor Wax. Swirl the bullets around in a plastic tub with a few drops of BLL and dry them on a non-stick surface like wax paper or in a hardware cloth, bottomed box. First shots are always in the group. In a rifle, it can be used up at least to 2500 FPS with 3 light coats. Just need one coat for lower velocities or on pistol bullets. I get very good accuracy with it. Better and easier than conventional lubes or PC. Very low cost to use, too! Lee sizers also work fine for BLL.