PDA

View Full Version : adding new press

vaskeet
11-22-2015, 06:18 AM
how much distance do you leave between presses? The 3 presses are a Hornady (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/bullets/rifle-bullets/hornady-bulk-rifle-bullets-hornady-bullet-22cal-55gr-fmj-6000ct-sku100-200-066-55232-111802.aspx) LNL AP a Lee Loadmaster and a Lee classic turret which will be permanently mounted . There will be another section for my MEC 9000g presses which I change in and out as needed. The MEC section will be lower than the metallic section

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-22-2015, 11:06 AM
My suggestion would be enough room to place 2 or 3 of the Akro bins side by side or one of those dollar store plastic shoe boxes. You will need a place to hold your "on deck" brass bullets and a place to hold your "finished" cartridges. Generally speaking, that's about a foot between each press.

Grasslander
11-22-2015, 12:29 PM
I measured my spacing, and it's 17" between presses. Dave's suggestion of 12" would probably work just as well, but I needed to cover up holes from previous installs.

So lets split the difference and call it 14"....lol

Nueces
11-22-2015, 02:22 PM
I establish such spacing by clamping the presses temporarily in place (even on the breakfast room table) and trying them out. When designing my loading and machine shop spaces, I made mockups of bench areas, to include nearby obstacles such as walls, by stacking cardboard boxes and such. Elbow clearance had to be at least 2" with vigorous operation of handles. All this trial and fit effort before putting things in place, and, years later, things are still as first arranged.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Nuences suggested a better solution than mine. After reading his post, I would add not to forget to leave some room if you decide you want to add a motor driven case or bullet collator.

Another idea is getting an Inline's Fabrications mount in the height that suits you best with their quick change brackets. Excellent quality, really stabilize a press and he sells storage brackets to store the other presses on you can mount to the side of your bench.Here's is a link to a review of my current setup:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?291908-Inline-Fabrication-s-Ultramount-with-quick-change-base-plate-review

Forgot to mention: They are a vendor sponsor as well.

Kent Fowler
11-22-2015, 07:37 PM
I use Pat Marlins Rock Dock for my presses. Best idea to come along in a while. When I'm through with the press, I remove it out of the Rock Dock and move it to a shelf where I use his Shelf Docks. I keep 3 Dillons and a couple of other presses up on a shelf out of the way. Pat's a vendor sponsor and a good guy to deal with.