PDA

View Full Version : extended tubular magazine for 22" 1895

Oklahoma Rebel
11-22-2015, 02:50 AM
I have a standard 1895 w/22 inch barrel and 4+1 capacity, how hard would it be to buy a cowboy model mag tube and modify it to the same length as the barrel and install it on mine? it would be nice to have the extra shots and improve its looks too. has anyone out there done this? if so please let me knom

Tatume
11-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi Kidd,

I'm interested in following the responses you get to this inquiry, because I want to do exactly the opposite. I would like to shorten the magazine tube and create a button magazine. My preference is to carry one cartridge in the magazine, and I like the appearance of the Winchester button magazine rifles I've seen.

Take care, Tom

Wind
11-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Hey there Kidd -- It's not too tough to do. You'll have to move the magazine tube stud out under the front sight.

The magazine tube itself will require some work. You need the holes for the stud out on the front sight end, and the bulge just ahead of the receiver/loading spring in the new tube. This can be accomplished by welding a section in between, but under the forend where it won't be seen. The 45-70 magazine tube is

153927 in diameter.

Just keep the holes and bulge aligned in the welding process. Add a longer magazine spring and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Wind
11-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Seems Tatume and I were posting 'bout the same time!! You guys should just get together and trade tubes!! Just a matter of shortening the tube and a couple holes for Tatume, and a cut/weld for Kidd. Providing you're both talking blued guns!! Best regards. Wind

1989toddm
11-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Hi Kidd,

I'm interested in following the responses you get to this inquiry, because I want to do exactly the opposite. I would like to shorten the magazine tube and create a button magazine. My preference is to carry one cartridge in the magazine, and I like the appearance of the Winchester button magazine rifles I've seen.

Take care, Tom

If Kidd doesnt want to trade, I would be interested if you have the full length tube.

Tatume
11-22-2015, 11:48 AM
I don't. I was thinking buying a Marlin 1894 in 44 Rem Mag and cutting it back to button length.

pietro
11-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Having done both ways, IMO the thorn in both magazine tube conversions (long to short, short to long) is supporting the forward end of the "new" magazine tube from both moving under recoil, and flopping about.

Making a button magazine out of a longer tube (and have it look & work correctly) is the harder of the two jobs.

When I converted a Rossi M92 (or any brand w/tube mag) to a button mag, I had to switch from a forend barrel band to a forend cap - which meant filing out a new dovetail in the barrel underside (hidden by the installed forend wood) from the magazine cap tenon (hanger).
The tenon has a D/T hole on both sides to accept the forend cap.
I used the parts (bought online) meant for a Winchester Model 92 Rifle, which included a flanged magazine cap/plug that interfaced with a groove around the inside of the forend cap that prevented the magazine tub from moving (way) out under recoil.
The old tube should be shortened at the forward end on big bore Marlin's (to keep the loading bulge in the rear of the tube).
Also, the forend wood's "step" (for the old forend barrel band) needed to be shaved down ( and refinished) to mate with the new forend cap.

Extending a magazine tube is a little less involved, just installing a forward magazine tube hanger near the muzzle - shortening as req'd from the front of the tube on Marlin's, then drilling the new forward end of the tube for the original (shorter magazine) magazine cap & screw.

Once upon a time, I had step-by-step pics posted of both jobs, but since that pic-hosting website went belly-up, the pics are history. (Sorry - dummy me hadn't backed them up)

Wind
11-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Hey there pietro -- You may have mis-read the Kidd's post. I believe he's working with a Marlin 1895. The Marlin dovetailed magazine post/screw

is a far more positive design than the Winchester magazine ring and pin model.

With the Marlin design, it can be trying to get the magazine tube off - even when you're doing it "on purpose"!!

The Marlin magazine stud requires a straight dovetail milled in the barrel. This can be accomplished by hand with a couple of files if Kidd/Tom were so inclined. The original Winchester model requires a round dovetail. I'm not sure what Rossi is using for dovetails.

Oklahoma Rebel
11-27-2015, 05:57 PM
yes its a 1895 with the dovetail mounts. so I would need to move the dovetail for a cb tube and shorten it to fit even with my barrel?

Oklahoma Rebel
11-27-2015, 06:02 PM
I have a gunsmith a couple miles from my house so he could do the dovetail im sure, also wouldn't it be best to take advantage of both of them(the hangers) to make sure the longer tube is very secure? thank you all for your help and experience.

Wind
11-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Hey again Kidd -- The two hanging systems are incompatible. Removing the magazine tube from the Marlin "stud" requires one to pull the magazine down almost the full diameter of the tube before it clears the stud. The Winchester "ring" wouldn't allow movement in the downward direction. On the other hand, the stud wouldn't allow movement parallel to the barrel, necessary to remove the tube from the hanger ring.

The Marlin magazine tube is contained through the forend and forend cap. This limits movement in all directions but still doesn't bind the barrel and magazine tube together.

I'm of the school that likes my magazine tubes slightly loose, not binding on the barrel, as it promotes accuracy.