PDA

View Full Version : Saw something different today.

starmac
11-22-2015, 01:36 AM
I had to go to lowes this evening after dark' It has been steady snowing since about daylight this morning and sitting in the parking lot was a nice unimog. That in itself was not unusual or really rare, but this one had a nice covered bed, but an open top cab. It had doors with windows rolled up, but no top. lol
There was a guy sitting in the drivers seat when I pulled in and was still sitting there when I left, I suppose just happy as a clam, either that or his fingers were froze to the wheel and he couldn't get out. lol

Oklahoma Rebel
11-22-2015, 02:02 AM
lol I have always wanted one of those or on of the big American 3 axle trucks with the canvas topped bed like Rambo stole in first blood

WILCO
11-22-2015, 02:07 AM
http://heavycherry.com/imgs/a/b/r/y/u/mercedes_benz__unimog_404_s_convertible_1960_1_lgw .jpg

starmac
11-22-2015, 02:18 AM
Wilco, the part I am calling different is it is winter time in fairbanks. Just not many folks running around in converibles this time of year. Of coarse he might have thought I was different too, as I didn't take a jacket and had a short sleeved tshirt on. lol

facetious
11-22-2015, 04:03 AM
" either that or his fingers were froze to the wheel and he couldn't get out. lol"

I grew up in Minnesota and my first car had a chrome shift nob. At -30* or so I get the car started took my glove off for some thing grabbed the nob and held it all the way to school all most before it warmed up enough so I could let go.

w5pv
11-22-2015, 07:23 AM
Don't lick thewagon wheel on a frosty morning.

dubber123
11-22-2015, 08:43 AM
I love the looks of those Unimogs. I have a standing bet with a local fellow on a drag race between his Unimog and my '53 M-37. I think I can take him ;) The good news is, neither of us stand any chance of getting a ticket, even in a school zone :)

10x
11-22-2015, 09:33 AM
Probably someone from Canada enjoying the rather balmy weather in Fairbanks.
I can remember listening to the weather reports in the 1960s and hearing Fairbanks with highs of 30F when we had highs of -35F...

starmac
11-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Ha ha, it was actually warm yesterday, it got up to 23 and suppose to get up to 30 in the next couple of days.

MaryB
11-22-2015, 11:52 PM
Friend had a beater of an old Plymouth convertible. No back window and the doors didn't work so we just dived in the window and drove around when it was -20... yeah we didn't care back then... now I would freeze!

I had a 53 Willy's utility wagon for awhile. Had the over/under drive. 1st gear 4 low/low top speed was 3mph but the thing would crawl over tree branches no problem. Rust bucket so drafty in winter and wet in summer if it rained. But it was fun on the river bottom trails!

jcameron996
11-23-2015, 01:20 AM
My best friend's dad had one of those back in the day. He turned it into a rock crawler. They are an impressive machine. He could drive that thing places that you wouldn't think were possible. I think I only rode with him once!